Note: This thread is 1123 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I am new to the site.  I am having trouble finding new irons.

Every time I go in a golf shop and I say I am looking for more distance in my irons, they always have me hit the Rogue X.

I have been a 5 handicap for years until the last few months when I had some swing issues and now I am a 7.

Callaway rep says the Rogue X are not for single digit handicaps.  I asked why and he said they don't like the look.  He said I wouldn't be able to work the ball left to right and right to left.

I have played the RSI 2s for several years now with the KB 90 regular flex shaft.  I carry my 7 iron about 142-145 yards.  I carry the Rogue X 160-165.  Yes I know the loft is three degrees stronger on the 7 iron but the peak height and descent angle are pretty close.

The one thing that troubles me is the amount of offset in the Rogue X compared to the RSI 2s.  It doesn't cause an issue in the launch monitor with a 7 iron.  I am just worried that with the wedges and 9 iron that it will go way left since I hit a slight draw anyway. 

Should I be talked out of the Rogue X irons....

24 minutes ago, mrb3318 said:

I am new to the site.  I am having trouble finding new irons.

Every time I go in a golf shop and I say I am looking for more distance in my irons, they always have me hit the Rogue X.

I have been a 5 handicap for years until the last few months when I had some swing issues and now I am a 7.

Callaway rep says the Rogue X are not for single digit handicaps.  I asked why and he said they don't like the look.  He said I wouldn't be able to work the ball left to right and right to left.

I have played the RSI 2s for several years now with the KB 90 regular flex shaft.  I carry my 7 iron about 142-145 yards.  I carry the Rogue X 160-165.  Yes I know the loft is three degrees stronger on the 7 iron but the peak height and descent angle are pretty close.

The one thing that troubles me is the amount of offset in the Rogue X compared to the RSI 2s.  It doesn't cause an issue in the launch monitor with a 7 iron.  I am just worried that with the wedges and 9 iron that it will go way left since I hit a slight draw anyway. 

Should I be talked out of the Rogue X irons....

Could you not demo the clubs for a round or out on the range? If you are worried about the wedges/9 iron offset the best way to find out would be to try them in the real world as opposed to. Most pro shops will let you try them, albeit in taped up form.

I'd be interested to see what effect they have on your shot shape. If you like them its your choice at the end of the day not the reps.

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Russ no we don't have any way of demo'ing an entire set.  All we get to hit is the 7 iron that is in the golf shops in a simulator.  They have different shafts you can hit with the 7 iron, but you can't hit other irons.

It depends on whether it’s important to you to have a the ability to easily work the ball, and that you like the appearance/offset at address.  There are better-player distance options out there as well. Take a look at the Rogue Pro, Titleist AP3, or TaylorMade M3. All have reduced offset, somewhat smaller heads and more workability.  You can read my review of the AP3 on TST: https://thesandtrap.com/b/clubs/titleist_718_ap3_irons_review.

More distance is great, but  assuming you make pretty consistent contact (at a 7, that would be my guess) you also need consistent distance or you’re going to be pitching back on from behind many greens.

Yes I want consistent distance. 

I tried cutting the Rogue X 7 iron and it didn't move but maybe 2-3 yards and took off about 10 yards.  I don't mind it not moving a lot.  Might save me from myself...lol. 

I just don't want to hit a pw and it draw 30 yards.  The 7 iron I hit had the same but newer version of the KB 90 shaft I have in the RSI 2s.  It would start 2-3 yards right and draw back to middle.  I could live with that all day!  It just that I don't think the short irons and possibly the 4 iron at 18.5* is going to react the same way.

I have hit the AP3 and AP1 at a demo day and liked the AP1 better but again it was just the 7 iron.

I hit the M3 and M4 and didn't really like the feel of either one and this was at a demo day.  I hit the 770 also and didn't like it either. 

Not one golf shop has put a Rogue Pro in my hand.  They said I wouldn't gain anything with it over the RSI 2s.

I was looking at the MyGolfSpy websites best player's irons and they have a Wilson iron at #1 and I have never even seen this in any golf shop.  How in the world do you get to hit that iron?  How do they stay in business if you can't try their product?

If you look a little harder, you will find places that have demo sets that you can use for a full round. I know Titleist does this, so I can't believe that Callaway would not as well.

Where in Alabama are you?

Edited by dbuck

Don,

I am in the North East corner.  I am close to Huntsville, Chattanooga or can drive to Atlanta.  I have been to most of the golf stores and that is not a common practice here.

Note: This thread is 1123 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!