IGNORED

Best Ball for one who loses them constantly?

Note:Β This thread is 2065 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic.Β Thank you!

Find a buddy that lives on a golf course and ask to see his bucket of golf balls.Β  Having lived for two years on a course I have two different five galloon buckets that are almost full. Β 

One bucket are the "others" and the other bucket is just new Pro V1's, Callaway and Bridgestone tour balls.Β  Have not purchased a ball in 2 years.Β 

My neighbors that also are on the fairway all have buckets just like I do of golf balls they have found in their yards.

I am constantly giving balls to golf buddies as they go by my house and tell me they are running low and need a couple of balls just in case to finish the round.

Edited by scotth

In my bag: All Lefty clubs
Goldsmith driver I built 10 degree reg flex, Orlimar 14 degree 3 wood, 7 wood
Cobra Oversize 3 and 4 iron; Gigagolf Ion Control 5 iron through PW firm flex and 1 inch over with 3 degrees upright
Golfsmith SW that I built, steel shaft reg flex,Β Cleveland Tour Action Raw 60 with dynamic golf stiff
Scotty Cameron Teryllium Newport putter

Β 
Β 

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I use to use Nike PD when I was losing a lot of balls. Because they were inexpensive at Big 5. Not sure if they still sell those.

-Jimmy

:nike:Β VR_S Covert 2.0Β Driver, 3W
:pxg: 0311 X (3), 0311 XF (4-6), 0311 (7-PW, 52/56/60)
:titleist:Β 2016 Scotty Cameron Newport Select Putter

"That tiger ain't go crazy; that tiger went tiger!" - Chris Rock

My son loses many balls and he often uses range balls or old discolored balls. One shouldn't give up performance with range or crappy balls as there's too many cheap options out there if you look for them with decent quality. Most retailers have buckets of balls at low prices.

Also, for free - stroll any golf course in the early evening. You're bound to pick up a few balls. Also, know the spots on your favorite course where balls are found. 1st tee, 170 yards out and 40 yards right, there are free balls :-)

Edited by Sandhills Golfe

On 5/19/2018 at 4:56 PM, upndown21 said:

Get some prov1s,Β a snorkel/mask, rope, and machete. You will never have to buy another box of balls again.Β 

And some antivenin, preferably one that works for water moccasins, unless you're damned handy with that machete.Β 

Or, alternatively, buy the poor man's prov1. Noodle Soft. A buck a ball at Wallymart.

• 3 weeks later...

Walmart has Wilson Zip, 2 dozen for about 20 bucks. They play great , putt soft and spin plenty for amature golfers. I’m a 10 handicap and they are all I use.

I don’t remember literallyΒ losing a ball a hole! The people with ball retrievers must love playing behind you! :-D

Get used proV1 for $1 a piece. Then you have a good ball for only $12 a dozen.Β Wow! That’s still anΒ extra $18 per round!

Try using an iron or hybrid off the tee for a while...

Β 

:ping:Β  :tmade:Β Β :callaway:Β Β Β :gamegolf:Β Β :titleist:

TM White Smoke Big Fontana; Pro-V1
TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56
Ping i20 irons U-4, CFS300
Callaway XR16 9 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S
Callaway XR16 3W 15 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S, X2Hot Pro 20 degrees S

"I'm hitting the woods just great, but I'm having a terrible time getting out of them." ~Harry Toscano

On 5/21/2018 at 6:58 PM, bentaygo said:

That is how I get most of my balls now. I remember on one hole there was a wooded area to the right of it. Of course I landed near it and saw one ball in the woods. Then another... and another... and another and so on until I came out with 25 of them.Β 

I've been using neon green MOJO golf balls lately, and I really like them. They're usually pretty easy to spot, but yesterday I hit one onto a heavily wooded hill on one hole. I was pretty sure I'd be able to see it among the pine needles. It must have rolled into the vines and crap at the base of the hill, because I never found it. But, I found 4 white balls!

I'm sort of the champion of finding balls in my group! I fish balls out of creeks all the time. But..... I lost 2 of my own neon green balls yesterday! Go figure!

8 hours ago, maritamm said:

I've been using neon green MOJO golf balls lately, and I really like them. They're usually pretty easy to spot, but yesterday I hit one onto a heavily wooded hill on one hole. I was pretty sure I'd be able to see it among the pine needles. It must have rolled into the vines and crap at the base of the hill, because I never found it. But, I found 4 white balls!

I'm sort of the champion of finding balls in my group! I fish balls out of creeks all the time. But..... I lost 2 of my own neon green balls yesterday! Go figure!

Same here. I am the master of finding balls...just not my own.Β 

• Like 1

If you can get the Top Flite Gamer or Gamer Soft on sale (which is frequent) pick one that you believe fits your swing and stock up.Β  If you indeed lose 6 sleeves of balls on some rounds I would go with used (not re-finished) balls of the same kind.Β  If lessons are not in the cards for you there areΒ some good free tips on-line.Β I would also get a shag bag and find a place to work on your game.Β  Β 

Honestly, these days I just buy the 36 used ball bags from Dunham's here in town. They are $20 and I'm usually lucky enough that I can find the mid range Callaway or Nike model that isn't a rock and has decent spin. There's not a better price for decent performing golf balls, and even though they are sometimes not in the greatest of shape they don't have to last long for me given my rate of losing them. I rarely get more than a handful that aren't in good shape though.

KICK THE FLIP!!

In the bag:
:srixon:Β Z355

:callaway:Β XR16 3 Wood
:tmade:Β AeroburnerΒ 19* 3 hybrid
:ping:Β I e1 ironsΒ 4-PW
:vokey:Β SM5 50, 60
:wilsonstaff:Β Harmonized Sole GrindΒ 56 andΒ Windy City Putter

Academy Sports usually has a clearance section. You can get great balls often at 20-40% off. As an example, I picked up Wilson 50's for 10 a piece. Also, wait for Thanksgiving and Black Friday sales, great time to stock up. Often there is bogo at Dicks.

Β 

Edited by Sandhills Golfe

On 5/19/2018 at 8:29 PM, krupa said:

Lostgolfballs.com is a good place to get cheap, used balls as well.Β 

I willΒ second this. You can get quality balls from big-name manufacturers for about $.50/each.

Β 

Β 

- John

I started this thread a week before I started my job at a golf course and before I got free bucket of balls to practice with.Β And in those two months I've accumulated 325 golf balls ranging from Titleist's new AVX to 40 year old Spaldings and Rams. I appreciate all your help as I thought this thread would have just been passed on by.Β 

Wait for another Srixion sale and pick up their Soft Feels or Q Stars for $10 a dozen shipped. If visibility is a concern, I will say that the yellow Soft Feels are quite a bit brighter than the yellow Q Stars. They both play very, very nice for the price!

• 2 weeks later...

I've never hit a used ball.

But, in keeping with the OP, I found that Walmart carries NitroΒ  for about $5.00 a dozen. I have used them and wasn't any noticeable difference from any others I have hit.

Also it is a known fact, the cheaper the ball, the less likely you will lose one. Just like comparison between Cross and Bic ball point pens, or Ray Ban and 99c store sunglasses.Β 

"James"

:titleist: 913 D3 with Aldila RIP Phenom 60 4,2 Regular Shaft,Β  :touredge: Exotics XCG-7 Beta 3W with Matrix Red Tie Shaft:touredge:Β ExoticsΒ EX8 19 deg Hybrid w UST Mamiya Recoil F3 Shaft:touredge:Β Exotics EX9 28 deg Hybrid w UST Mamiya Recoil F3 Β shaft, /Β Bobby Jones Black 22 deg Hybrid:touredge:Β Exotics EXi 6 -PWΒ  w UST Mamiya Recoil F2 Shaft, SW (56),GW (52),LW (60):touredge:Β  TGS),/ ODDYSEE Metal-X #7 customized putter (400G, cut down Mid Belly)

I usually buy Top Flite D2+ Feel when they go on sale at Dicks.Β  2 boxes of 15 for $25. Β I have also seen them on eBay for the same amount.

I just bought 50 Srixon Soft golf balls from Two Guys on eBay for $30. Β These would be good for a local pitch and putt executive. Β We'll see how they work out.

As for cheap, I still have 9 boxes of McLady left over from a Chick's sale 15 years ago. Β I think I paid $6 a box. Β I'll use them one of these days. Β Maybe pass them along and 50 years after I'm dead my grand kids might be on Antiques Roadshow. Β Had a cult following at one time.

John

Edited by 70sSanO

On 7/26/2018 at 9:00 AM, Hacker James said:

I've never hit a used ball.

But, in keeping with the OP, I found that Walmart carries NitroΒ  for about $5.00 a dozen. I have used them and wasn't any noticeable difference from any others I have hit.

Also it is a known fact, the cheaper the ball, the less likely you will lose one. Just like comparison between Cross and Bic ball point pens, or Ray Ban and 99c store sunglasses.Β 

This is a hoot! I can't tell you how many Pro V-1's, and V-1x's I have found vs any other ball!

Note:Β This thread is 2065 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic.Β Thank you!