IGNORED

Anyone in NC Ohio, Pretty Much any Thursday

Note: This thread is 2142 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I'm off work 51 out of 52 weeks a year on Thursdays. Who is relatively local to Mansfield/ Ashland OH and would like to play some Thursday morning? I'm talking an entirely fun round with nothing (or very little if that's what it takes to get your juices flowing) on the line. Golf for the sheer joy of golfing. Loser buys a beer or ice cream. If coming from any distance (2 ish hours away) I'd pick up the greens fees. I hate driving and as an old sweaty semi fat dude, I wouldn't drive 15 minutes to play a round with me, lol.

Let me know and I'll pick up the greens fees tab. I've got some very nice courses surrounding me. I also have access on a few very nice private clubs within an hour of me. I'd prefer to play something like Ashland Golf Club, Eagle Creek, or Deer Ridge before sticking my neck out on  any of the local privates. And trust me, outside of Longaburger aka Virtues, these are the best three clubs not called Firestone, Westbrook, or Muirfield Village within 60 miles. Westbrook is even a stretch as I prefer all the other layouts to that place. I'll concede that it's in better shape but aside from the greens it's really a bit of a snooze fest. Greens are 100% legit though and the course conditions are superb. Just a little boring on the layout. 

Deer Ridge is where it's at if you haven't played it. Not super difficult but it's a course where you'll probably hit every club. Greens are incredibly tough too if you're in the wrong spot. I've had 15 feet going downhill that I just prayed to be within 15 feet for the comebacker. Very fair but those greens are insane if they're rolling a 10+. 

Time to stop typing before this becomes overly long. If you are up for a Thursday morning round in my area, let me know. I love the game, and I can either look brilliant or horrible. I usually will be able to tell you on the first tee. Lately it's been all terrible. But I'm due for that breakout round. As per usual. Let me know if interested and we'll set something up. 

6 hours ago, SmiterofPV1x said:

I'm off work 51 out of 52 weeks a year on Thursdays.

Thursdays are not usually good for me, but I would be up for either a Saturday or Sunday round. I am 25 miles north of Columbus (Delaware).

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I can make that happen but it would probably be sometime after 07/04 this year. I'm sure I'll get some golf in on the weekends too but it's usually an impromptu thing prior to then. I coach baseball and Tball so my weekends are pretty booked until the end of the season. Let's revisit on this after then  

Deer Ridge is about 25 minutes for me, probably slightly further than that for you and a must play if you've never been there. 

2 hours ago, SmiterofPV1x said:

sometime after 07/04 this year

Sounds good. Looks like it is only 48 minutes from my house.

We'll have to do it then. I'm telling you this course has the scariest greens on a public course in this state, and I doubt I'm wrong. If they're rolling with any speed they are terrifying. Even slow they're terrifying. You miss from 15 feet in the wrong direction, you will be praying for a 20ft come-backer. 

Its either that or I just can't read greens. Last time I played here I hit some of the best full shots of my entire life. I struck the ball like a tour player, then I had to putt the greens. I was putting 4 footers to not 3 putt. On the first par 5, it played into the teeth of the wind. Hit a knockdown drive into it and then I Knocked a 3i from 230 to 8 feet. Into a huge wind. Might have been the best long shot I've ever hit, it was given the extra juice, kept it low and penetrating, then had enough check up to hit basically on the pin and end up 8ft past. Easy birdie with a chance for eagle? Not a prayer. 3 putt city. Was a sad round as I struck the ball the best I ever had  and had something like 43 putts that day. Golf is hard  

6 hours ago, SmiterofPV1x said:

If they're rolling with any speed they are terrifying.

OK, I will want to spend some time at the practice green. I will check it out from Google maps, but if there are a lot elevation changes and hills, it won't be that beneficial. I am assuming that it is undulating, correct?

I love to hate it's undulations, but yes. It is a pretty crazy course. I shot a tidy 104 today. I'm trying to establish a HC this year and my dad accused me of sandbagging. It's that bad. He's seen me shoot level par before, the last time we played Deer Ridge, I had 40+ putts and was still mid 80's.  I think the number was 43 on the putts. Not real sure other than I ruined my best ball striking day ever  

I choose not to remember that round. Today I played a relatively easy course and shot a 104. Early returns this year makes me want to die. It's ugly and there is not much to say. I took so many penalties it wasn't funny. I atilk had fun, folded with my dad and there is no price for that. Last year I gave him 18 strikes. Today he beat me heads up. P

• Administrator

You’ve not even got a Member Swing topic, right?

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

I don't think so?? If you are saying that to discredit my opinion because I don't, I take offense! Lol! Kidding, kidding, but that was very accusatory from you, I could care less but I'd much rather be friends. This is your place though so feel free to hammer me with the ban  hammer lol! , I've been there other places and I guess I have to get used to it at this point  (please don't ban me, lol! I'm really kidding about that, what you see is what you get and if I say something to deserve it, I'll admit it :)) Some places are a little too liberal about that when one hasn't been in the wrong. But I digress.....

I can post one if you'd prefer. If you want to see a 120+ SS that nets absolute crap, I'll do it for you. I set up a YouTube channel doohickey in anticipation of giving you something to laugh at awhile back. No one pressed so I felt that it wasn't my best course of action, lol. If you really want to make fun of me, say so and I'll post it. I'm feeling pretty froggy after going 104/71 in my last two rounds  (course 104 was a par 71 at 6400 yards, course 71 was a par 72 at 6600 yards, note that both are well outside of my norm, I'm probably a 5-7 HC that hasn't played enough to have any consistency whatsoever). 

If you'd really like to see a wasted high swing speed let me know. I'll get one of my kids to take a video (" hey kid, hold my beer and film/watch this"). I'm not a huge fan of showing my fat self swinging futility at a golf ball, and I prefer to have FUN anywhere I'm at (hopefully above is read as such). But if you really want to see a walrus taking a healthy poke at a golf ball, sure I can film that. Lol. 

If im answering directly to your post, no. I don't think I have a member swing post. But show me someone else on here that can go 104/71 in 2 rounds. Lol! Those folks are few and far between. I'm unique!! I'm unique!! Lol!! 

• Administrator
1 hour ago, SmiterofPV1x said:

I don't think so?? If you are saying that to discredit my opinion because I don't, I take offense! Lol! Kidding, kidding, but that was very accusatory from you, I could care less but I'd much rather be friends. This is your place though so feel free to hammer me with the ban  hammer lol!

WTF are you even talking about? I have no idea how the f*** you interpreted my post as "accusatory" or why the hell we'd break out the "ban hammer".

I asked if you had a Member Swing topic because people get free help and analyses and the topic can serve as a running document showing the work and changes you make to your golf swing. It's one of the nicest things about TST.

Jeez, man. Lighten up.

• Upvote 1

Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

18 minutes ago, iacas said:

WTF are you even talking about? I have no idea how the f*** you interpreted my post as "accusatory" or why the hell we'd break out the "ban hammer".

I asked if you had a Member Swing topic because people get free help and analyses and the topic can serve as a running document showing the work and changes you make to your golf swing. It's one of the nicest things about TST.

Jeez, man. Lighten up.

Touché. I was banned from a previous website so anytime an administrator from a website gets into me, I feel a little threatened. I'm pretty light, lol. Hopefully you are as well. 🙂

I get that. I went 104/71 (legitimately) my last two rounds. Not many people can say that. It's something I have a gift at. I'm a 90'ish golfer anymore that once or twice a year goes Par or better. 104 is an outlier, 71 is even more so. My last interaction with you, you said to post a swing video. I've been injured pretty ever since so I haven't done so. So I felt that you were being facetious with the swing video thing. It's obvious now that you didn't mean that, but your original post was read as that by me. I'm sorry. I didn't read that as being helpful. It's easy to misread intention on the internet and I apologize that I read yours as that way. 

Hopefully this will be read in the lighthearted way that it's meant. Have a fantastic night. 

• Administrator
Just now, SmiterofPV1x said:

Touché. I was banned from a previous website so anytime an administrator from a website gets into me, I feel a little threatened. I'm pretty light, lol. Hopefully you are as well. 🙂

I didn’t get within a hundred miles of “getting into you.”

As you then recognize. Benefit of the doubt man.

Ok. Sorry. Misunderstanding on my part. Didn't mean to say you did. I read it that way, my problem, not yours. Once a problem child somewhere, I have a chip that makes me feel like I'm always a problem child. So I'm always trying to justify it. 

My bad. I hope you have a fantastic rest of your evening. 

A long time ago, before I ever thought to pick up a golf club, I lived in Ashland. 

At least back then, Ashland Golf Club was one of the prettier places in that entire town. 

Probably a bit too long a haul for me however and Thursdays are rarely ever off days.

On 5/22/2018 at 10:15 AM, Carl3 said:

Sounds good. Looks like it is only 48 minutes from my house.

I just looked it up as well, its exactly 48 minutes from my house too. Weird.

maps.png.061321b4180f649513a0a74eb266f1ff.png

We did a Central Ohio meetup last year with some guys from here in August and that was pretty fun. It was more in the greater Columbus area, but I'm still in for this as well. Easy drive straight up 71.

I can probably snag a random Thursday off work if we get enough people for a full group or two, but would prefer a weekend round.

I might be able to do a weekend round in July, August is wide open for me so definitely could make a weekend round work then.

Driver: :callaway: Rogue Max ST LS
Woods:  :cobra: Darkspeed LS 3Wood/3Hybrid
Irons: :tmade: P770 (4-PW)
Wedges: :callaway: MD3 50   MD5 54 58 degree  
Putter: :odyssey:  White Hot RX #1
Ball: :srixon: Z Star XV

3 hours ago, klineka said:

I might be able to do a weekend round in July, August is wide open for me so definitely could make a weekend round work then.

Great. That will work for me as well as I have a busy June.

Let's plan it out then! I work one of the two weekend days but if I have at least 3-4 weeks notice, I can make either weekend day work (I write the schedule, lol!). 

Anybody down with 07/22? If I can get a firm number I can do the leg work. We could do a morning round at Deer Ridge and maybe an afternoon at Ashland Golf Club. Both courses are worthy of play for anyone that's not a member of Muirfield or Firestone. They're both great. Or we could just do the morning or afternoon round. Doesn't matter to me. Let's see what interest there is and go from there. 

Deer Ridge is a course that will have you swear you were in the mountains and some of the toughest greens/complexes that you'd ever see. Ashland Golf Club is owned by the eviliest man ever (kidding, he's my kidney stone doctor so while he's a very nice guy I really dislike him!, lol). Both are superb courses that if you haven't played and live somewhat near by, they are must plays. 

If that date doesn't work, suggest one that does. I'd like to meet some golfing friends in my area so I can be pretty flexible. Just let me know what can work. If we get enough responses maybe we can change this to the NC Ohio summer gathering or something similar. I golf almost exclusively with my dad and my kids so it'll be nice to golf with others. Not that I dislike that but I feel like every round is a lesson from me to all of them (that I'm not really qualified for) and me worrying more about them than myself. Wouldn't trade that time with them for anything but would like to once in a while Tee it up and just play my ball. 

@iacas sorry for my above misunderstanding. I meant no offense by it. I tend to be a little high strung. It's hard to discern intent on the internet and I hope to learn to do a little better in the future with it. Again, my bad and sorry to have been a pain in any way. That's not what I'm here for at all. 

18 minutes ago, SmiterofPV1x said:

Let's plan it out then! I work one of the two weekend days but if I have at least 3-4 weeks notice, I can make either weekend day work (I write the schedule, lol!). 

Anybody down with 07/22? If I can get a firm number I can do the leg work. We could do a morning round at Deer Ridge and maybe an afternoon at Ashland Golf Club. Both courses are worthy of play for anyone that's not a member of Muirfield or Firestone. They're both great. Or we could just do the morning or afternoon round. Doesn't matter to me. Let's see what interest there is and go from there. 

The weekend of 07/22 is perfect for me, I can do either Saturday or Sunday that weekend. 

@saevel25 came down from Akron last year for the weekend and @vasaribm came up from Cincy area too. I know @georgep is local too, not sure if any of them would be interested either?

Driver: :callaway: Rogue Max ST LS
Woods:  :cobra: Darkspeed LS 3Wood/3Hybrid
Irons: :tmade: P770 (4-PW)
Wedges: :callaway: MD3 50   MD5 54 58 degree  
Putter: :odyssey:  White Hot RX #1
Ball: :srixon: Z Star XV

Note: This thread is 2142 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!