IGNORED

Do Range balls have more side spin?

Note: This thread is 2154 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Question?   I know that good balls are supposed to be low spin off the driver.   But, should I be expecting much less side spin (even with short-mid irons)? 

I ask because I seem to be drawing the ball a lot more on the driving range than I am on the course.   Is it assumed that this is a symptom of the ball, or that I am bring a different swing to the course with me (entirely possible).?   

:tmade:  - SIM2 - Kuro Kage silver 60 shaft
:cobra:  - F9 3W, 15 degree - Fukijara Atmos white tour spec stiff flex shaft

:tmade: - M2 hybrid, 19 degree
:tmade: - GAPR 3 iron - 18degree
:mizuno: MP-H5 4-5 iron, MP-25 6-8 iron, MP-5 9-PW

Miura - 1957 series k-grind - 56 degree
:bettinardi: - 52 degree
:titleist: - Scotty Cameron Newport 2 - Putter

check out my swing here

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

whoops I put this in the wrong thread...  meant to put in balls thread. 

check out my swing here

With actual range balls, I have never paid much attention to what they do. I don't put much trust in their ball flight. As long as the ball lands in the general area of where I am aiming is fine with me. 

Spin wise I don't know. I might have more of an issue with the ball being worn out, out of round, or out of balance. 

Now where I hit range balls, the bucket will contain a mix of actual range balls, and regular, otc, used game balls. Those used, game balls, I don't consider range balls. I have found PV-1s in the bucket as an example. Those balls I pay a little more attention too. The spin on those balls could be low to high, depending on brand. 

In My Bag:
A whole bunch of Tour Edge golf stuff...... :beer:

I would expect actual range balls, in good condition, would have less sidespin, certainly compared to any 3 piece ball.

• Administrator
5 minutes ago, Moxley said:

I would expect actual range balls, in good condition, would have less sidespin, certainly compared to any 3 piece ball.

Me too.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

I found this on the Trackman website,

https://blog.trackmangolf.com/the-difference-in-range-ball-distances/

The guy was hitting a 7-iron, and a new dry golf ball, hit off grass, had 4482 rpms. That is pretty low for a 7 iron. Typically you want to see around 7000 rpms with a 7 iron.

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag
Driver; :pxg: 0311 Gen 5,  3-Wood: 
:titleist: 917h3 ,  Hybrid:  :titleist: 915 2-Hybrid,  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel: (52, 56, 60),  Putter: :edel:,  Ball: :snell: MTB,  Shoe: :true_linkswear:,  Rangfinder: :leupold:
Bag: :ping:

It's my understanding that you'll generally find less spin in range balls, but how much depends on the type of ball and how much wear and tear it's had. I have seen examples of range balls having higher spin, but those were possibly quite new.

You can experience difference ball flight with range balls than normal balls. There are a lot of different types of range balls. Some are lighter, some are of different materials, some (most) are meant to fly shorter. A lighter ball might curve more than a normal ball.

If you happen upon some balls out in the woods or got some random balls in the bag, you could try hitting them on the range during a session and see if they fly the same way as the range balls.

Ogio Grom | Callaway X Hot Pro | Callaway X-Utility 3i | Mizuno MX-700 23º | Titleist Vokey SM 52.08, 58.12 | Mizuno MX-700 15º | Titleist 910 D2 9,5º | Scotty Cameron Newport 2 | Titleist Pro V1x and Taylormade Penta | Leupold GX-1

Ive always thought range balls were controlled, so i take that in mind when I'm practicing with them. I try to avoid ranges have give mixed bags of range balls and used game balls when I'm practicing. Theres a club near where i live that only uses one type of practice range balls, and the pro there lets me use the range if I only use the mats.

2 hours ago, iacas said:

Me too.

Pretty interesting.  I suppose this leads me to the conclusion that I’m lacking the confidence to make a full turn when I’m on the course, but able to do it consistently when on this range and there is no consequences.  

Ugh... golf is hard.   However, I am really loving my ball flight on the range right now.   Just gotta figure out how to get that to the course.

check out my swing here

I use a 2-pc ball, so I don't notice any difference, other than my gamers go further than range balls. 

I also hit draws at the range but almost never during a round. I attribute this to just being more loose at the range. It's also easier to stay in rhythm at the range. A lot less standing around waiting when muscles can cool off.

I also use a 2-piece ball on the course (bridgestone e-6, the one that have the less spin in the brand) and the side spin it´s almost the same that the range balls. 

"side spin" I'm assuming range balls are designed to be more durable (ideally).  So I suspect a harder cover is a key aspect.  I'd guess "any" spin (both components of the spin axis) is likely to be less.  But that's just my thought.   But just reducing overall spin doesn't give an indication of shapability of the ball - the spin could be less, but the tilt axis could be the same.  But I can guess.

If we want to consider specifically the tilt axis since you're asking about side spin but likely really talking about shaping the flight....since club grooves are horizontal and are an aid to enable the horizontal component of the spin axis, vs there are no vertical grooves to assist the other component, then I'd assume that it's even harder to tilt the spin axis with the harder ball.

all bets are off with damaged balls - who knows what their surfaces are like - really old range balls might have lost their sheen and have quite sticky surfaces....or not....

Short answer - get new range balls and get new 'regular' balls and get on a trackman.  but you need to get a data set where the contact is in a tight range (face, path, head speed) and then take a look at total spin and spin axis.  It could be interesting.

Edited by rehmwa

Bill - 

17 minutes ago, rehmwa said:

"side spin" I'm assuming range balls are designed to be more durable (ideally).  So I suspect a harder cover is a key aspect.  I'd guess "any" spin (both components of the spin axis) is likely to be less.  But that's just my thought.   But just reducing overall spin doesn't give an indication of shapability of the ball - the spin could be less, but the tilt axis could be the same.  But I can guess.

I believe the lower the spin rate the easer it is to tilt the axis of the ball.

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag
:titleist: 917h3 ,  Hybrid:  :titleist: 915 2-Hybrid,  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel: (52, 56, 60),  Putter: :edel:,  Ball: :snell: MTB,  Shoe: :true_linkswear:,  Rangfinder: :leupold:

35 minutes ago, saevel25 said:

I believe the lower the spin rate the easer it is to tilt the axis of the ball.

If the side component stays constant, sure.  but that's the question.  is the straight vs side component reduced proportionately or not?

If not, which is affected more by the harder surface.

Bill - 

Just an observation today. The course put into use brand new range balls. Not sure what brand they were. All the markings said was "range ball".

Anyways with proper set up, and club face position, I was able to hit draws, and fades with these brand new range balls. 

They were spinning. 

In My Bag:
A whole bunch of Tour Edge golf stuff...... :beer:

18 minutes ago, rehmwa said:

If the side component stays constant, sure.  but that's the question.  is the straight vs side component reduced proportionately or not?

If not, which is affected more by the harder surface.

It doesn’t take much to curve the ball. I can hit a sub 1000 rpm drive and have it hook a ton. 

If the tilt is maintained, then the spin rate should decrease proportional to the degrees of axis tilt. 

Since the axis tilt can increase more at lower spin, I think it probably means lower spin could cause more curve. 

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag

19 minutes ago, saevel25 said:

It doesn’t take much to curve the ball. I can hit a sub 1000 rpm drive and have it hook a ton. 

If the tilt is maintained, then the spin rate should decrease proportional to the degrees of axis tilt. 

Since the axis tilt can increase more at lower spin, I think it probably means lower spin could cause more curve. 

I agree with you all things being equal - but the question is between different type of balls.  As you note, it takes little to really turn a ball with a low spin.

So it's not a question of can you bend the shot with low total spin - that's easy.  It's a question of, with that exact same swing, will the ball with the harder surface bend more or less than with your premium ball?

I'd still like someone to buy me a Trackman so I can personally test it.

Edited by rehmwa

Bill - 

I think this is getting just a bit more complicated than I intended.   

The jist of the question is this:   I draw the ball (push draw) quite a bit harder at the range than I do at the course.   Is this most likely derivative of range balls, or me bringing a different swing to the course.   I think it's been concluded that option 2 is the answer. 

• Like 1

check out my swing here

Note: This thread is 2154 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!