IGNORED

2018 U.S. Open at Shinnecock Hills

iacas
Note: This thread is 2125 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Phil only missed one fairway and three greens.  That's amazing golf under normal circumstances;  at the US Open it's something else entirely. 

-- Michael | My swing! 

"You think you're Jim Furyk. That's why your phone is never charged." - message from my mother

Driver:  Titleist 915D2.  4-wood:  Titleist 917F2.  Titleist TS2 19 degree hybrid.  Another hybrid in here too.  Irons 5-U, Ping G400.  Wedges negotiable (currently 54 degree Cleveland, 58 degree Titleist) Edel putter. 

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

46 minutes ago, Moxley said:

Go Poulter!

He heard you.

Callaway Razr-Fit 8.5 Driver | Callaway GBB Warbird 3W | PingEye 2 Irons (2-PW) | McGregor Jack Nicklaus SW | Ping B61 Putter

Huh, Scott Gregory shot a 75 today, a big improvement over his score from yesterday. 

-- Michael | My swing! 

"You think you're Jim Furyk. That's why your phone is never charged." - message from my mother

Driver:  Titleist 915D2.  4-wood:  Titleist 917F2.  Titleist TS2 19 degree hybrid.  Another hybrid in here too.  Irons 5-U, Ping G400.  Wedges negotiable (currently 54 degree Cleveland, 58 degree Titleist) Edel putter. 

2 minutes ago, Shindig said:

Huh

Hey what is your tag line all about? Your mother, phone, and Furyk?

1 minute ago, Carl3 said:

Hey what is your tag line all about? Your mother, phone, and Furyk?

A few years ago, Jim Furyk didn't charge his phone but was relying on it to wake him up.  He missed either a tournament round or a pro-am (and thus was DQ'd).  A week or so after that, I neglected to charge my phone and had to cut short a phone call from my mother, who then texted me the quote now in my signature. 

• Like 1

-- Michael | My swing! 

1 minute ago, Shindig said:

A few years ago, Jim Furyk didn't charge his phone but was relying on it to wake him up.  He missed either a tournament round or a pro-am (and thus was DQ'd).  A week or so after that, I neglected to charge my phone and had to cut short a phone call from my mother, who then texted me the quote now in my signature

That's a good one that I had not heard of. Sounds like you have a cool mom!

2 hours ago, iacas said:

A higher percentage of your posts are about Tiger (the GOAT) than almost anyone else’s. Except @Gerald Ladig.

That's all this place talks about so it can't be helped. 😀

Jack, 18 majors (the GOAT) 😄.

Boy Poulter sure stunk up the last bit of his round. Charlie Hoffman, where did he come from?

2 hours ago, boogielicious said:

that’s because he’s got a shrine of Tiger in his parent’s basement where he lives. 😜

NOT FUNNY

My parents are in heaven, I hope to join them there some day.

I've owned my house since 2004, that means paid for, can you say the same boogielicious, you got that beat???

Live from the doghouse.

27 minutes ago, Carl3 said:

That's a good one that I had not heard of. Sounds like you have a cool mom!

Indeed I do!

8 minutes ago, sheepdog said:

Charlie Hoffman, where did he come from?

Charley's from San Diego.

-- Michael | My swing! 

• Administrator
18 minutes ago, sheepdog said:

That's all this place talks about so it can't be helped. 😀

Jack, 18 majors (the GOAT) 😄.

Boy Poulter sure stunk up the last bit of his round. Charlie Hoffman, where did he come from?

NOT FUNNY

My parents are in heaven, I hope to join them there some day.

I've owned my house since 2004, that means paid for, can you say the same boogielicious, you got that beat???

🤦🏼‍♂️

Glad Poulter tripled 8. Wheeeeeeee!

• Like 1

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

1 hour ago, ChrisP said:

No wind. Soft greens. I’m surprised scores aren’t lower. USGA watered the course last night because they felt bad for the guys. Hopefully they just roll them tonight and let them speed up tomorrow.

I’m in this boat. After this morning with rain and no wind, then little wind throughout the day, I expected a lot more people to be in red figures going into the weekend. There certainly were birdies but apparently enough bogies to offset them.

Poa can be tricky this time of year, where the heads are trying to pop up. Some spots break, others don’t with no indication why. Maybe why there were not as many putts dropping.

I think Koepka is a person to watch. Not with regards to a repeat but he does hit a big ball and can get hot. He certainly won’t be intimidated by DJ. 

Philip Kohnken, PGA
Director of Instruction, Lake Padden GC, Bellingham, WA

Srixon/Cleveland Club Fitter; PGA Modern Coach; Certified in Dr Kwon’s Golf Biomechanics Levels 1 & 2; Certified in SAM Putting; Certified in TPI

Team :srixon:!

I don’t see anyone going out and “catching” DJ. I think any ground covered by others will be done by him falling apart and them just holding onto par. But it’s hard to see that happening right now...

10 minutes ago, HJJ003 said:

I don’t see anyone going out and “catching” DJ. I think any ground covered by others will be done by him falling apart and them just holding onto par. But it’s hard to see that happening right now...

2010. It ain't over till it's ovah. That said, I think he's excised his demons, but any bizarro thing can happen. And that thing with the definition of a bunker at the PGA.

Steve

Kill slow play. Allow walking. Reduce ineffective golf instruction. Use environmentally friendly course maintenance.

That sure was a disappointing end to Spieth's round and the tournament. I would have lost money betting that he would not be playing the weekend.  He's definitely fighting some gremlins and perhaps his time is better served getting back to his swing coach and practice sessions. 

Callaway Razr-Fit 8.5 Driver | Callaway GBB Warbird 3W | PingEye 2 Irons (2-PW) | McGregor Jack Nicklaus SW | Ping B61 Putter

Charlie Hoffman Tuesday. I think Matsuyama teed off with an iron and was further out than Hoffman.

Steve

Kill slow play. Allow walking. Reduce ineffective golf instruction. Use environmentally friendly course maintenance.

14 minutes ago, nevets88 said:

2010. It ain't over till it's ovah. That said, I think he's excised his demons, but any bizarro thing can happen. And that thing with the definition of a bunker at the PGA.

Yeah but that’s what I am saying. I don’t believe anyone is going to shoot  low enough this weekend to go “catch” him. IMO they will likely only surpass him if implodes. We shall see. 

Most entertaining Open in a while!

In David's bag....

Driver: Titleist 910 D-3;  9.5* Diamana Kai'li
3-Wood: Titleist 910F;  15* Diamana Kai'li
Hybrids: Titleist 910H 19* and 21* Diamana Kai'li
Irons: Titleist 695cb 5-Pw

Wedges: Scratch 51-11 TNC grind, Vokey SM-5's;  56-14 F grind and 60-11 K grind
Putter: Scotty Cameron Kombi S
Ball: ProV1

22 hours ago, MrGolfguy67 said:

OK, this is the post that started this discussion. I'm talking about someone who's never played Shinnecock and will play it from the US Open tees under today's conditions. Someone who got their 10 hdcp from playing much easier and shorter courses in their area. That person would not be a 10 hdcp at Shinnecock. 

I agree. Someone posted about a person who had played "a majority of their rounds" at Shinnecock. Well, how many people can that cover? Not very many! Of course those few folks would be accustomed to the conditions there.

Reminds me of the time I was invited to play in a charity scramble at a local country club. I'd stroke a putt uphill, and it would roll a mile by! I'd stroke a putt downhill, and it would end up a mile short! One of our team, who had played there a few times before, informed me that it was because of the grain.

Well, I had never played such "grainy" greens in my entire life! I was helpless out there! I had no idea what the ball was going to do.

Edited by Buckeyebowman

Note: This thread is 2125 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!