IGNORED

2018 U.S. Open at Shinnecock Hills

iacas
Note: This thread is 2131 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

@ShortyThose happened after my post but yes, that's what I was referring too. I was also expecting some more red numbers and that just did not happen. But, with this being the official moving day, we'll see how many in the field have figured out how to slay Goliath.

1 hour ago, boogielicious said:

Will they make the course harder by pin placement and letting the greens get faster or are there other means? I’d like it to stay hard and keep the winner closer to par.

I hope they do as well.  It's refreshing not seeing a leaderboard with half the field in red and finishing totals in double digits. I was listening to commentary yesterday about how Shinnecock's layout would not be acceptable to current course architecture standards; both for drainage/irrigation and for difficulty.  I say bullshit to the second part. The tours need more course like Shinnecock.

Edited by fishgolf
forgot quote from shorty

Callaway Razr-Fit 8.5 Driver | Callaway GBB Warbird 3W | PingEye 2 Irons (2-PW) | McGregor Jack Nicklaus SW | Ping B61 Putter

One thing I noticed walking the course was all that cabling. It's a lot of f***ing cabling. No joke. If all those cables were wireless signals, I'd die of some airwave thing in an instant.

You see that road at 9 o'clock? Every time I drive by that course abutting the road (Southhampton or whatever of the "Holy Trinity" it is), major, major course envy.

Steve

Kill slow play. Allow walking. Reduce ineffective golf instruction. Use environmentally friendly course maintenance.

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Saturday predictions.......

Mickelson shoots 64 and Rickie Fowler shoot 67.....they play in the third to last group tomorrow

DJ shoots even par.....goes into the final round with a 2 stroke lead over Justin Rose

Poulter shoots 74......

Edited by BallStriker

"Getting paired with you is the equivalent to a two-stroke penalty to your playing competitors"  -- Sean O'Hair to Rory Sabbatini (Zurich Classic, 2011)

Fowler blows up on 14,17,18.....Phil gets a big number on one hole and ruins his chances.....Poulter gets mad at a fan and shoots 4 over.

DJ shoots 2 under.

• Like 1

:ping: G25 Driver Stiff :ping: G20 3W, 5W :ping: S55 4-W (aerotech steel fiber 110g shafts) :ping: Tour Wedges 50*, 54*, 58* :nike: Method Putter Floating clubs: :edel: 54* trapper wedge

Toughest US Venue Poll

Shoot....sorry....I am trying to link a twitter poll between Oakmont and Shinny and can't figure it out....

Edited by BallStriker

"Getting paired with you is the equivalent to a two-stroke penalty to your playing competitors"  -- Sean O'Hair to Rory Sabbatini (Zurich Classic, 2011)

9 minutes ago, BallStriker said:

Saturday predictions.......

Mickelson shoots 64 and Rickie Fowler shoot 67.....they play in the third to last group tomorrow

DJ shoots even par.....goes into the final round with a 2 stroke lead over Justin Rose

Poulter shoots 74......

Mickelson 64?? I don't know about that one haha. I'd be surprised if he goes lower than 70. The course is going to play a lot tougher today. I don't think there's going to be a lot of red numbers.

My prediction: DJ will have at least a 5-shot lead going into tomorrow and it will be a "2014 Martin Kaymer-like coronation" in the final round. I think this is DJ's tournament. He's playing awesome and I don't think this is a good day to attack pins and try to play catch up. It's a good to play safe and take your chances when you can, and that plays into DJ's wheelhouse. I say DJ shoots 69, he is -5 going into tomorrow and the next closest guy is around Even par or +1.

So far this morning, greens look receptive and holding reasonably. Im sticking with Koepka making another run at it. DJ is obviously going to be in it. I can’t see him blowing up enough. 

Philip Kohnken, PGA
Director of Instruction, Lake Padden GC, Bellingham, WA

Srixon/Cleveland Club Fitter; PGA Modern Coach; Certified in Dr Kwon’s Golf Biomechanics Levels 1 & 2; Certified in SAM Putting; Certified in TPI

Team :srixon:!

6 minutes ago, ChrisP said:

Mickelson has a chance to get back in this Us Open and he’s throwing it away at 5, the easiest hole on the course.

So frustrating....Phil has just become a bogey king. When’s the last time he had a bogey free round? Seems of late he starts firing birdies only to follow with a damn bogey! Pull your head out Phil!

:ping: G25 Driver Stiff :ping: G20 3W, 5W :ping: S55 4-W (aerotech steel fiber 110g shafts) :ping: Tour Wedges 50*, 54*, 58* :nike: Method Putter Floating clubs: :edel: 54* trapper wedge

I really want to see Furyk make a run.

• Upvote 1

Bill

“By three methods we may learn wisdom: First, by reflection, which is noblest; Second, by imitation, which is easiest; and third by experience, which is the bitterest.” - Confucius

My Swing Thread

2 hours ago, Vinsk said:

Poulter gets mad at a fan and shoots 4 over.

Poulter gets mad, shows a fan his IQ, and shoots 4 over. :-D

Callaway Razr-Fit 8.5 Driver | Callaway GBB Warbird 3W | PingEye 2 Irons (2-PW) | McGregor Jack Nicklaus SW | Ping B61 Putter

Wow... I didn't recognize Gretkzi

"No man goes round boasting of his vices,” he said, “except golfers." 

-- Det. Elk in The Twister by Edgar Wallace

How many bunkers has Phil hit today?  (So far?)

Craig
What's in the :ogio: Silencer bag (on the :clicgear: cart)
Driver: :callaway: Razr Fit 10.5°  
5 Wood: :tmade: Burner  
Hybrid: :cobra: Baffler DWS 20°
Irons: :ping: G400 
Wedge: :ping: Glide 2.0 54° ES grind 
Putter: :heavyputter:  midweight CX2
:aimpoint:,  :bushnell: Tour V4

Whoa, Phil!  Putting a ball in motion????

Craig
What's in the :ogio: Silencer bag (on the :clicgear: cart)
Driver: :callaway: Razr Fit 10.5°  
5 Wood: :tmade: Burner  
Hybrid: :cobra: Baffler DWS 20°
Irons: :ping: G400 
Wedge: :ping: Glide 2.0 54° ES grind 
Putter: :heavyputter:  midweight CX2
:aimpoint:,  :bushnell: Tour V4

Just now, Missouri Swede said:

Whoa, Phil!  Putting a ball in motion????

Wtf?! Daly? Total mental shut down.

Note: This thread is 2131 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!