IGNORED

2018 U.S. Open at Shinnecock Hills

iacas
Note: This thread is 2125 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

2 minutes ago, Blackjack Don said:

The ball didn't HIT 18 feet away. The ball didn't stop, 18 feet away. It rocked and slowly turned, and rolled faster into the bunker. A bunch have done this. They don't stop rolling, until they are off the green. Saw someone miss a putt and it finished off the green down the hill. 

Remember that time... I forget if it was Bay Hill or Doral, but someone (I think Calc?) hit a putt into the water.

-- Michael | My swing! 

"You think you're Jim Furyk. That's why your phone is never charged." - message from my mother

Driver:  Titleist 915D2.  4-wood:  Titleist 917F2.  Titleist TS2 19 degree hybrid.  Another hybrid in here too.  Irons 5-U, Ping G400.  Wedges negotiable (currently 54 degree Cleveland, 58 degree Titleist) Edel putter. 

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

• Administrator
1 minute ago, Shindig said:

Remember that time... I forget if it was Bay Hill or Doral, but someone (I think Calc?) hit a putt into the water.

Tiger did at Augusta before.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Just now, iacas said:

Tiger did at Augusta before.

But it was a putt!  It had to have been a good shot, right? ;-) 

-- Michael | My swing! 

"You think you're Jim Furyk. That's why your phone is never charged." - message from my mother

Driver:  Titleist 915D2.  4-wood:  Titleist 917F2.  Titleist TS2 19 degree hybrid.  Another hybrid in here too.  Irons 5-U, Ping G400.  Wedges negotiable (currently 54 degree Cleveland, 58 degree Titleist) Edel putter. 

10 minutes ago, Shindig said:

Are you serious?  He's like 25 years old, two PGA Tour wins (one of which he was a defending champion), plus two playoff losses... and you say he sucks?

I think we're in that nebulous "a big name needs to win" territory with this discussion. In other words, with the remaining field and (esp.) current leaderboard, anyone not named Dustin who wins this is akin to Danny Willett. And that's very bad for the game, don'cha know?

Much as I dislike that big southern nancy, Gooner, Ferrari-collector, and whiny social media cry-baby, Poults, I almost wish he'd held it together. He fulfills the "big name" category for those who care about such things, and I could almost (almost) be pleased to see a glorified journeyman like him punching above his weight, and winning a major late in his career.

Nah, on second thoughts I hope Berger wins.

1 minute ago, ScouseJohnny said:

I think we're in that nebulous "a big name needs to win" territory with this discussion. In other words, with the remaining field and (esp.) current leaderboard, anyone not named Dustin who wins this is akin to Danny Willett. And that's very bad for the game, don'cha know?

What about Xander S.?  His last name is pretty big.

Wow, it's still within 10' (at least, looks to be within that on TV). (DJ par putt on #18)

-- Michael | My swing! 

• Administrator
15 minutes ago, Shindig said:

But it was a putt!  It had to have been a good shot, right? ;-) 

Tiger putted into the water at Augusta, yes.

http://www.toledoblade.com/Golf/2005/04/08/Putt-into-water-was-Woods-lowlight.html

Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

1 minute ago, iacas said:

I believe you.  Still, thanks for the link.  

-- Michael | My swing! 

2 hours ago, Shindig said:

In fairness to Phil, only eight of those involved hitting the golf ball.

That I knew -- It was still obscene.  The day overall has been crazy, and now DJ has surrendered his lead, allowing Berger and Finau (congrats on a great Saturday, fellows) to be the last two out on Sunday.

At this point, we have a batter chance at predicting the total number of posts on this thread than picking either the winner or winning score of this tournament.  My predictions:

Bruce Koepka

937 posts

Callaway Razr-Fit 8.5 Driver | Callaway GBB Warbird 3W | PingEye 2 Irons (2-PW) | McGregor Jack Nicklaus SW | Ping B61 Putter

2 hours ago, BallStriker said:

Berger/Finau final pairing tomorrow....

USGA get what they deserve.....

"Getting paired with you is the equivalent to a two-stroke penalty to your playing competitors"  -- Sean O'Hair to Rory Sabbatini (Zurich Classic, 2011)

IMG_2665.JPG

Steve

Kill slow play. Allow walking. Reduce ineffective golf instruction. Use environmentally friendly course maintenance.

Said this earlier, but some of you guys are saying this course is too hard, Shinnecock Hills is a teddy bear compared to Carnoustie when the wind kicks up there. Now that’s a brutal golf course. You may not want to turn on the Open next month if you’re complaining about this course.

Edited by ChrisP

I'd like to add apologize on behalf of my fellow New Yorkers. We're not all like that. 

• Thumbs Up 1

Steve

Kill slow play. Allow walking. Reduce ineffective golf instruction. Use environmentally friendly course maintenance.

• Administrator
8 minutes ago, ChrisP said:

Said this earlier, but some of you guys are saying this course is too hard, Shinnecock Hills is a teddy bear compared to Carnoustie when the wind kicks up there. Now that’s a brutal golf course. You may not want to turn on the Open next month if you’re complaining about this course.

You keep saying this, but… no. Carnoustie can play softer, and likely won't be set up quite like Shinnecock was today. They can set it up easier. Move tees up a little. Cut holes on better spots on greens. Etc.

2 hours ago, Shorty said:

No - Mickelson did exactly as they said. He didn't put is putter out to stop the ball or flick it off to the side. How is that grasping at straws? You may as well say that when you drive the ball you stop it because at some point it comes to rest.

Long putts do tend to save you a shot.

So if Sergio had ran to his ball (Masters) and hit it back towards the hole before it could roll into the creek...that’d be fine?

And Phil said, ‘ I went to hit the ball back towards the hole because I knew it would end up back behind the bunker with no shot.’

Youre giving a lot of slack there @Shorty.

Edited by Vinsk

:ping: G25 Driver Stiff :ping: G20 3W, 5W :ping: S55 4-W (aerotech steel fiber 110g shafts) :ping: Tour Wedges 50*, 54*, 58* :nike: Method Putter Floating clubs: :edel: 54* trapper wedge

Awesome to see Finau in the last group. Have been following him closely for awhile now. 

Fox's audio constantly cutting out was annoying. 

Steve

Note: This thread is 2125 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!