IGNORED

2018 U.S. Open at Shinnecock Hills

iacas
Note: This thread is 2125 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

... someone lost Dave Coulier in the couch?

-- Michael | My swing! 

"You think you're Jim Furyk. That's why your phone is never charged." - message from my mother

Driver:  Titleist 915D2.  4-wood:  Titleist 917F2.  Titleist TS2 19 degree hybrid.  Another hybrid in here too.  Irons 5-U, Ping G400.  Wedges negotiable (currently 54 degree Cleveland, 58 degree Titleist) Edel putter. 

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Ouch. Scott Gregory (whoever that is) with a +22, 92. These guys are human; some of them at least.

"No man goes round boasting of his vices,” he said, “except golfers." 

-- Det. Elk in The Twister by Edgar Wallace

Nice putt by Brian Gay.  If he wins, that's one of his 1.7 putts made over 20 feet for the week! :-) 

-- Michael | My swing! 

"You think you're Jim Furyk. That's why your phone is never charged." - message from my mother

Driver:  Titleist 915D2.  4-wood:  Titleist 917F2.  Titleist TS2 19 degree hybrid.  Another hybrid in here too.  Irons 5-U, Ping G400.  Wedges negotiable (currently 54 degree Cleveland, 58 degree Titleist) Edel putter. 

25 minutes ago, ScouseJohnny said:

I have this strange feeling that you'll be going to bed happy tonight with Tiger sitting around -1.

An odd sensation that, precisely a decade since his last Major, the stars are aligning.

Oh man I hope so....

Colin P.

Always like big name golf tournaments where the leader sits a -1. 

In My Bag:
A whole bunch of Tour Edge golf stuff...... :beer:

Kenny Perry with an opening birdie. 

-- Michael | My swing! 

2 hours ago, lastings said:

Shinne is looking vicious out there.  

question, As a 10 handicap (but a relatively long one, 265 drive and pretty straight), what would I shoot at Shinne today if I played well?   playing from US Open tees.  

my first guess is 117.

The best players are only about +6 handicaps so simplistically you should only shoot 16 strokes worse.  Although if your index is 10 and theirs is +6 your course handicaps at Shinnecock will be a bit further apart.  That assumes an apples to apple comparison where you get all the practice rounds and caddies that they get.  And they are probably yet a couple more strokes better than you on this course thanks to their experience with difficult conditions.  

Unless there is something I’m missing that adds up to you having a decent chance to shoot in the 90s.  I agree you might shoot your 117 on a bad day though, since it’s punishing out there.

1 minute ago, allenc said:

The best players are only about +6 handicaps so simplistically you should only shoot 16 strokes worse.  Although if your index is 10 and theirs is +6 your course handicaps at Shinnecock will be a bit further apart.  That assumes an apples to apple comparison where you get all the practice rounds and caddies that they get.  And they are probably yet a couple more strokes better than you on this course thanks to their experience with difficult conditions.  

Unless there is something I’m missing that adds up to you having a decent chance to shoot in the 90s.  I agree you might shoot your 117 on a bad day though, since it’s punishing out there.

Er... no.  The slope rating is meaningful here.  A course I played periodically has a slope rating of 114;  if the pros were shooting X there, it is reasonable to assume an amateur at index 10 would shoot X+16 or so.  I think the course in a normal setup is a slope rating of 140 (I couldn't find CR/SR for US Open setup at an easy glance).

Anyone remember the U.S. Open challenges, where three celebrities and a contest winner would play the US Open course, strict rules of golf, and see how they did?  Those were fun.   

-- Michael | My swing! 

Watching one of the featured groups with Rory, Jordan and Phil... they are shooting like the scores my friends and I have on a Sat morning round.  Where is my big check???

Tough course today!  Good Luck boys!

Driver: :callaway: Diablo
Woods: :callaway: Big Bertha 2 & 4
Irons: Miura MC 102's 3 - PW & Mizuno MP 67's 3 - W
Wedges: :mizuno: MP-R12 52* & 58*
Putters: :ping: WRX Ti4

Phil hit 13 fairways and still shot 77. This course is tough.

The field is hitting 75% of fairways on average, but only 50% GIR. It's almost like a course can be difficult with wide fairways. How bout that.

-- Daniel

In my bag: :callaway: Paradym :callaway: Epic Flash 3.5W (16 degrees)

:callaway: Rogue Pro 3-PW :edel: SMS Wedges - V-Grind (48, 54, 58):edel: Putter

:aimpoint:

Now watching Rahm, Bello & Garcia... E, -1 & -1.

I'll keep watching the Spanish trio.

Driver: :callaway: Diablo
Woods: :callaway: Big Bertha 2 & 4
Irons: Miura MC 102's 3 - PW & Mizuno MP 67's 3 - W
Wedges: :mizuno: MP-R12 52* & 58*
Putters: :ping: WRX Ti4

1 minute ago, colin007 said:

Oh god I'm gonna throw up....

Because you're so excited about ChrisP's upcoming tattoo? 

Tiger right down the middle! :-) 

-- Michael | My swing! 

4 minutes ago, DeadMan said:

Phil hit 13 fairways and still shot 77. This course is tough.

The field is hitting 75% of fairways on average, but only 50% GIR. It's almost like a course can be difficult with wide fairways. How bout that.

On the most difficult courses I've played, green complexes with smallish firm greens have been the courses primary defense, or the property has you hitting into the green from weird angles. Seems like this course is set up for a combination of both. 

At least Tiger got his first tee nerves in check and find the fairway.

Ogio Grom | Callaway X Hot Pro | Callaway X-Utility 3i | Mizuno MX-700 23º | Titleist Vokey SM 52.08, 58.12 | Mizuno MX-700 15º | Titleist 910 D2 9,5º | Scotty Cameron Newport 2 | Titleist Pro V1x and Taylormade Penta | Leupold GX-1

Huh.  74.7 / 140 is listed as the CR/SR for the course in U.S. Open set up-- the slope rating isn't different than the course itself from the tips on a normal day.  Maybe they didn't measure? 

-- Michael | My swing! 

Note: This thread is 2125 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!