Jump to content
iacas

2018 U.S. Open at Shinnecock Hills

852 posts in this topic Last Reply

Recommended Posts

10 minutes ago, Missouri Swede said:

Whoa, Phil!  Putting a ball in motion????

 

9 minutes ago, Vinsk said:

Wtf?! Daly? Total mental shut down.

Hahahahahaha....Phil is having a meltdown!  He just overhit a put on purpose and smiled about it....LOLOLOLOL

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Want to hide this ad? Register for free today!

Did they score it correctly? Putting for bogey (5), it runs past.  Putts the ball in motion (6), and it goes past, then marks the ball, putts (7) and misses, then putts into hole (8), plus 2 stroke penalty (10).  They're listing it as a 9.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

You don't see that very often. Unfortunate thing to have happen on his birthday.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I had to watch that replay of Phil like 10 times just to convince myself that it actually happened lol. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

2 minutes ago, fishgolf said:

You don't see that very often. Unfortunate thing to have happen on his birthday.

He did it of his own volition. What was he thinking?!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

11 minutes ago, Missouri Swede said:

Did they score it correctly? Putting for bogey (5), it runs past.  Putts the ball in motion (6), and it goes past, then marks the ball, putts (7) and misses, then putts into hole (8), plus 2 stroke penalty (10).  They're listing it as a 9.

They just fixed it. They had scored him wrong.

1 minute ago, Missouri Swede said:

He did it of his own volition. What was he thinking?!

People are wondering if he will get further penalized for it. Him disrespecting the golf/tournament. Also the put in the following hole was done on purpose as well as he laughed afterwards.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

14 minutes ago, JSGolf said:

Also the put in the following hole was done on purpose as well as he laughed afterwards.

What?

28 minutes ago, JSGolf said:

 

 He just overhit a put on purpose and smiled about it....LOLOLOLOL

What? He hit  a moving ball.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 

Edited by Zeph

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Well his drive hit the fairway, approach was long, wedge rolled off the front. His putt went like it was rolling off the front, again.

At this point we're explaining something foolish - he taps the moving ball. However, if he lets the ball keep rolling off the front, he would have a second 30 yard-ish wedge back onto the green, and then another couple of putts to get in the hole.

So the two-stroke penalty equals the likeliest outcome of a wedge back and two putts. At worst he added one stroke to his score of 81, not any matter for someone who at the moment is 19 strokes back of the leader with one round left.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, ladders11 said:

Well his drive hit the fairway, approach was long, wedge rolled off the front. His putt went like it was rolling off the front, again.

At this point we're explaining something foolish - he taps the moving ball. However, if he lets the ball keep rolling off the front, he would have a second 30 yard-ish wedge back onto the green, and then another couple of putts to get in the hole.

So the two-stroke penalty equals the likeliest outcome of a wedge back and two putts. At worst he added one stroke to his score of 81, not any matter for someone who at the moment is 19 strokes back of the leader with one round left.

No.

The rules can’t make assumptions about what you would do from there.

Also, he could have played under stroke and distance and replayed the putt.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

15 minutes ago, iacas said:

No.

The rules can’t make assumptions about what you would do from there.

Also, he could have played under stroke and distance and replayed the putt.

True. And Phil would place his reputation above all else.

The idea that this was a calculated or even "smart" move is absurd. Phil will be very embarrassed about it. From now on, every time there's an issue with very fast greens at a major they'll be replaying this. A bit sad.

10 minutes later.....

Yet..........now he is saying it WAS calculated. Bad look.

Edited by Shorty

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Phil could've gotten disqualified had they decided that he stopped the ball on purpose. Instead he got a penalty for hitting the ball while still moving.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Just now, JSGolf said:

Phil could've gotten disqualified had they decided that he stopped the ball on purpose. Instead he got a penalty for hitting the ball while still moving.

Yeah. I disagree with that.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

1 minute ago, Shorty said:

True. And Phil would place his reputation above all else.

The idea that this was a calculated or even "smart" move is absurd. Phil will be very embarrassed about it. From now on, every time there's an issue with very fast greens at a major they'll be replaying this. A bit sad.

I haven't seen any embarrassment on his part. He was smirking/laughing after leaving that hole. I am wondering if he will address the media. He made a fool of himself and I agree the video will played for years to come.

Curtis Strange was suppose to get an interview with him but I haven't heard anything since...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I don't disagree with the rule at all, just saying the penalty isn't consequential, as far as his score in this round or finish in this tournament. He definitely gets some type of a hit to his rep, but to me this will be replayed excessively given the zero impact on the finish. No reason for people to diva this out.

Starting today at +6 he had a chance to win, if he had played as well as Finau or Berger he would be in the top 10. Poor strategy and mental breakdown over the course of the round, but in the moment not really a difference maker to his result.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Not to be *that* guy, but I can't see Tiger ever doing something like that.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now



×

Important Information

Welcome to TST! Signing up is free, and you'll see fewer ads and can talk with fellow golf enthusiasts! By using TST, you agree to our Terms of Use, our Privacy Policy, and our Guidelines.

The popup will be closed in 10 seconds...