IGNORED

2018 Memorial Tournament Presented by Nationwide

Frank-0-Sport
Note: This thread is 2122 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

The Memorial Tournament, presented by Nationwide
May 31-June 3 2018
Muirfield Village GC in Dublin Ohio
Purse: $ 8,900,000 / 1st Prize: $ 1,602,000
Winner receives 3-season PGA Tour exemption.
LINK: Inside The Field (PGATOUR.COM)

Check out the "Inside The Field" link, and see how Tiger Woods qualified for the event, then figure out why that particular category and not one of the others!.
A word of explanation about Adam Scott's qualification -- It's actually his 2016 WGC Doral-Cadillac win (before event moved to Mexico) that earned Scott an entry into the 2018 Memorial.
Edited by Frank-0-Sport
  • Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1
  • Upvote 1

(edited)

So, how is it that Tiger Woods qualifies by being among the Top 70 Fed Ex Cup Points Leaders in the current season (2017-18), and not some other way?

For starters, the Memorial Tournament is an invitational event, rather than an "open" one, and as such its invitation categories differ a bit from the regular PGA Tour exemptions, Winners of the Memorial Tournament itself prior to 1997 are exempt for life (Tiger didn't win his first until 1999) while 2000-after Memorial winners are exempt for only five years (Tiger last won in 2012).

What about Tiger's 2013 Players Championship win? Only winners of the Players or of one of the four majors within the last five playings of the Memorial Tournament are exempt in that manner. Since Tiger's 2013 Players win was one month before the 2013 Memorial, it meant that he would be exempt only thru 2017.

What about the PGA Tour's Life Membership category (20-plus career wins)? That category is not used at the Memorial, and even if it was there's a scoring requirement that has to be achieved in the prior Tour season to make the exemption active. Since Tiger didn't play the 2016-17 season, his Life Member exemption was not active.

That leaves being among the Fed Top 70 during the last season (2016-17) or the current one (2017-18) -OR- receiving a sponsor invitation. There you go!

Edited by Frank-0-Sport
  • Like 1

Can you imagine being the tournament or sponsor that says "No" to Tiger? Lol eff them....

GOOOOOOOOOOOOO TIGS!!!!!!!

• Thumbs Up 1

Colin P.

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Looking forward to following this tourney.

" No one succeeds without effort... Those who succeed owe their success to perseverance.

Let come what comes, let go what goes. See what remains. "

- RM

• Administrator
1 minute ago, Buckeyebowman said:

Tiger's there because Nicklaus wants him there!

I'm pretty sure Tiger's there because he's always played there, it fits his schedule (two weeks before a major), and he's had success at the course. Nicklaus wanting him there is probably fourth on Tiger's list.

Well, maybe third, as two of those reasons could be joined up as one.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

We got some good featured groups this week.

Jason Day - Dustin Johnson - Rory McIlroy

Jordan Spieth -Bubba Watson - Phil Mickelson

Tiger Woods - Justin Rose - Jason Dufner

Justin Thomas - Patrick Reed - Rickie Fowler

Ogio Grom | Callaway X Hot Pro | Callaway X-Utility 3i | Mizuno MX-700 23º | Titleist Vokey SM 52.08, 58.12 | Mizuno MX-700 15º | Titleist 910 D2 9,5º | Scotty Cameron Newport 2 | Titleist Pro V1x and Taylormade Penta | Leupold GX-1

(edited)

The 2018 Memorial looks as if it will have the 5th strongest field of the year, according to the Official World Golf Rankings web-site. The tournament's Strength of Field (SoF) is currently listed as 652 (subject to change), following The Players (854), The Masters (794), WGC Match Play (733) and WGC Mexico City (679).

To see for yourself, go to the OWGR Events Page, then  toggle "SoF" a couple of times until the highest ranking event is at the top, followed by 2nd highest, 3rd highest, etc.

Edited by Frank-0-Sport
  • Like 1

@iacas I remember you saying that you typically attend. If you are going this year, which days are you going?

I will be attending Sunday's round with my wife. It's our 1st wedding anniversary on Sunday and it was her idea that we go to the tournament. :dance:

Driver: :callaway: Rogue Max ST LS
Woods:  :cobra: Darkspeed LS 3Wood/3Hybrid
Irons: :tmade: P770 (4-PW)
Wedges: :callaway: MD3 50   MD5 54 58 degree  
Putter: :odyssey:  White Hot RX #1
Ball: :srixon: Z Star XV

• Administrator
30 minutes ago, klineka said:

@iacas I remember you saying that you typically attend. If you are going this year, which days are you going?

I will be attending Sunday's round with my wife. It's our 1st wedding anniversary on Sunday and it was her idea that we go to the tournament. :dance:

I don't know if I am this year, but @georgep may be there.

Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

58 minutes ago, klineka said:

I will be attending Sunday's round with my wife. It's our 1st wedding anniversary on Sunday and it was her idea that we go to the tournament.

Lucky man! Enjoy.

1 hour ago, klineka said:

image.png.604cdef115a8d5b64c0259210f594da7.png

Just kidding enjoy....

• Like 1

• Administrator
2 minutes ago, HJJ003 said:

image.png.604cdef115a8d5b64c0259210f594da7.png

Just kidding enjoy....

Yeah, yeah… 😉 Looks like I might be there Sunday with the wife and kid.

Always a fan of this tourney - just love the look of the course and think it sets up pretty well for a bunched leaderboard from a good field.

Currently focusing on: Key 4 - shorter backswing.

What's in the bag: Callaway X2 Hot Driver, Titleist 915F 3 wood, X2 Hot 3 Hybrid, 3, 5-AW Apex Pro irons, 54*, 58* Cleveland RTX, Odyssey Versa 1 Putter

On ‎5‎/‎29‎/‎2018 at 7:59 AM, klineka said:

It's our 1st wedding anniversary on Sunday and it was her idea that we go to the tournament. :dance:

Congrats, take good care of that Gal. A Happy Wife is a Happy Life ...

Johnny Rocket - Let's Rock and Roll and play some golf !!!

On 5/29/2018 at 7:48 AM, Zeph said:

Jason Day - Dustin Johnson - Rory McIlroy

Jordan Spieth -Bubba Watson - Phil Mickelson

Tiger Woods - Justin Rose - Jason Dufner

Justin Thomas - Patrick Reed - Rickie Fowler

Niiice! Love this one: Jordan Spieth -Bubba Watson - Phil Mickelson

On 5/29/2018 at 9:59 AM, klineka said:

:-*

I just hope Jack can get a break with the weather with Alberto rolling through Ohio, and then a cold front coming through! It seems this tourney can't catch a doggone break with the weather, no matter where the Tour puts it!

Note: This thread is 2122 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!