IGNORED

How long should you take to hit your shot on the course?

RWalker84
Note: This thread is 2113 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

5 seconds is a lot of time.  Stand up and take an address position and count it out.  I suspect a lot of those saying 10-15 don't realize just how long that is to just stand there

Bill - 

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Probably takes me 30-40 seconds once I get to my ball to shoot the distance, look at the pin sheet, pull a club, 1-2 practice swings, and make the shot. 

4 minutes ago, upndown21 said:

Probably takes me 30-40 seconds once I get to my ball to shoot the distance, look at the pin sheet, pull a club, 1-2 practice swings, and make the shot. 

He's asking about once you take your address position - how long before you pull the trigger.  Not the pre-stuff.

Bill - 

22 hours ago, rehmwa said:

He's asking about once you take your address position - how long before you pull the trigger.  Not the pre-stuff.

Yes, I know. My point was being quick about making a decision then pull the trigger. Address, one look at target, and swing.

• Upvote 1

5 seconds at most.

Pay close and unwavering attention to those who take more than that, try to focus on what they’re thinking and let them know verbally what you think they're thinking 😂

“Boy, I’d hate to be making that shot 120 yards away on the fairway. Must be a really tough lie” 😁😁😁

Edited by Lihu

:ping:  :tmade:  :callaway:   :gamegolf:  :titleist:

TM White Smoke Big Fontana; Pro-V1
TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56
Ping i20 irons U-4, CFS300
Callaway XR16 9 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S
Callaway XR16 3W 15 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S, X2Hot Pro 20 degrees S

"I'm hitting the woods just great, but I'm having a terrible time getting out of them." ~Harry Toscano

From checking distance to shot airborne 30 seconds max.  It's a rare occasion that I take that long.  Once I take my stance, about 3 seconds.

Rick

"He who has the fastest cart will never have a bad lie."

Probably 2-3 seconds at address. The swing itself is about a second, give or take, right?

Add another 5-6 seconds or so after the ball is airborne to admire my shot (or at least track in which part of the woods the ball landed)! :banana:

I'd say that from the time I arrive at my ball to the ball flying is less than 12 seconds, including getting a yardage with the rangefinder, a half-practice swing, and getting aligned. Everything else such as judging the wind, the obstacles, deciding the type of shot (not the club until I get a yardage) I tend to do before I arrive at my ball, as I am walking, even pulling the rangefinder out of its enclosure, so that the moment I stop pushing the cart, I can pull the viewfinder to my face...

Philippe

:callaway: Maverick Driver, 3W, 5W Big Bertha 
:mizuno: JPX 900 Forged 4-GW
:mizuno:  T7 55-09 and 60-10 forged wedges,
:odyssey: #7 putter (Slim 3.0 grip)

On 6/1/2018 at 8:02 PM, RWalker84 said:

2 questions - how much time should you take to hit your shot on the course once you address the ball

and

how much thinking about your swing and fundamentals go on when you prepare to hit the ball?

I don't know about "should", but for me, it's about 2-3 seconds.  I just tried counting to 5 seconds after address and it felt awkwardly long.

I usually have one single "feel" I try to achieve for the full swing, and that stays the same throughout a round, regardless of short-term results.  My current "feel" has been the same on every swing for over a year!

Sometimes, it will be one backswing thought and one downswing thought, but that's less common, since I can usually ingrain backswing things much quicker.

- John

5 seconds or less.  Once I address the ball, I need to pull the trigger and let'r fly.  I have never understood how someone can stand over the ball and freeze or continue to waggle the club for 10 to 15 seconds and then try to make a shot.

Any other thought processes, for me, take place before I step in the address position.  I pick out my target and any thought process about the shape of the shot or whatever has to happen as I stand behind the ball getting ready to address it.  And, that takes only a few seconds also.  I have had people time me just so I would know and generally when it is my turn to hit...gathering yardage, pick a club, picking a spot, etc...is usually about 20-25 seconds to do all that and also hit the ball. A lot of that also has to do with the familiarity of the place I am playing.  If a new course...maybe 5 seconds more but generally not.

Edited by RickK

Bag: Titleist
Driver: TM RBZ 9.5
Fairway metals: TM RBZ 3 wood
Hybrids: TM RBZ 3, 4 and 5
Irons: TM Burner 1.0 6 thru LW stiff steel shafts
Putter: Ping B60
Ball: TM Tour Preferred X or ProV1x
Check out littlejohngolfleague.com  A Greater Houston TX traveling golf league.

5 seconds, tops, once you are over the ball. The time consuming thing that I find in a round of golf is that players aren't ready to hit when it is their turn. Get to your ball and be ready when you are up. 

Bill M

Once I address the ball, 5 seconds or less. Probably more like 2-3 seconds.

For swing thoughts, it's usually just one or two thoughts. Whatever I happen to be working on with my golf instructor at the time.

-Jimmy

:nike: VR_S Covert 2.0 Driver, 3W
:pxg: 0311 X (3), 0311 XF (4-6), 0311 (7-PW, 52/56/60)
:titleist: 2016 Scotty Cameron Newport Select Putter

"That tiger ain't go crazy; that tiger went tiger!" - Chris Rock

Note: This thread is 2113 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!