IGNORED

LPGA's Lincicome will play in PGA Event in July

MrGolfguy67
Note: This thread is 2098 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

2 hours ago, boogielicious said:

The fact that we are discussing this at length shows that the sponsor's decision to add her was a good one. We're talking about a tournament that most on this site would not pay attention to at all because it is opposite a major.

Brittany is a long hitter for the LPGA, 271.70 average this year, but that is short for the PGA. In addition, the length she can hit her irons is significantly shorter than the average PGA player, or even the shortest PGA player. She is at a big disadvantage.

That being said, I hope she has fun. 

I would counter that it's only a good decision if it gets people to watch the tournament. I mean, I'm not going to watch it, and the most I've seen other people say is they'll probably just check the scores for it.

KICK THE FLIP!!

In the bag:
:srixon: Z355

:callaway: XR16 3 Wood
:tmade: Aeroburner 19* 3 hybrid
:ping: I e1 irons 4-PW
:vokey: SM5 50, 60
:wilsonstaff: Harmonized Sole Grind 56 and Windy City Putter

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Lot of ink in this thread. I'd have to conclude the sponsor who gave her the exemption knew what they were doing as I'm sure their reason was to create interest in the event.  I'm sure they well get some added viewers, in spite of comments to the contrary, that will tune in just to see how Brittany fares. 

Butch

4 hours ago, ghalfaire said:

Lot of ink in this thread. I'd have to conclude the sponsor who gave her the exemption knew what they were doing as I'm sure their reason was to create interest in the event.  I'm sure they well get some added viewers, in spite of comments to the contrary, that will tune in just to see how Brittany fares. 

There are no comments to the contary in this thread. No one thinks it's a really bad thing and everyone acknowledges that the sponsors can do whatever they like. The debate is purely based around someone who thinks she "earned" her spot because she's a nice person.

In the race of life, always back self-interest. At least you know it's trying.

On 6/29/2018 at 2:02 AM, Shorty said:

The debate is purely based around someone who thinks she "earned" her spot because she's a nice person.

I believe this comment is directed at me therefore i am going to answer it. I have said more than once that her character is part of the reason she got in the tournament, not solely being a "nice person".

It was the CEO of the title sponsors parent company that stated Lincicome was deserving of her exemption "because of her ability as a golfer and her charter as an exceptional individual". That is what the man that gave her the spot in the tournament said. Part of the reason Lincicome got in was because of her character. It cannot be argued - it is a fact.

Carry on my wayward drive

There'll be pars when you are done

Lay your weary wedge to rest

Don't you shank no more 

• Administrator
7 hours ago, MrGolfguy67 said:

I believe this comment is directed at me therefore i am going to answer it. I have said more than once that her character is part of the reason she got in the tournament, not solely being a "nice person".

Then IMO that's an incredibly stupid thing to say: there are thousands of people who are both better golfers and have at least the same or better "character" than Brittany Lincicome.

7 hours ago, MrGolfguy67 said:

It was the CEO of the title sponsors parent company that stated Lincicome was deserving of her exemption "because of her ability as a golfer and her charter as an exceptional individual". That is what the man that gave her the spot in the tournament said. Part of the reason Lincicome got in was because of her character. It cannot be argued - it is a fact.

It can be argued, because you are taking what the guy says as some sort of fact.

I think it would have been more truthful had the guy said "because she'll generate a little PR buzz for an event that almost nobody even knows exists outside of the players not good enough to play in the better event taking place at the same time, and because we pay her and can tell her what to do to some extent, we've added a woman to the field."

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

2 hours ago, iacas said:

Then IMO that's an incredibly stupid thing to say: there are thousands of people who are both better golfers and have at least the same or better "character" than Brittany Lincicome.

Problem is none of those "thousands of people" were the 1st person to be signed by Barbasol's parent company like Brittany Lincicome was; something else i mentioned several days ago. So it was not "an incredibly stupid thing to say" it was an incredibly accurate and intelligent thing to say. 

Don't you shank no more 

• Administrator
26 minutes ago, MrGolfguy67 said:

Problem is none of those "thousands of people" were the 1st person to be signed by Barbasol's parent company like Brittany Lincicome was;

Which has nothing at all to do with her merit as a golfer, and everything to do with PR.

something else i mentioned several days ago.

Seemingly while you were busy missing the point that everyone else was talking about her merit as a golfer, even though some of those same people have specifically said they don't care about her "merits" as a "good person" or whatever.

So it was not "an incredibly stupid thing to say" it was an incredibly accurate and intelligent thing to say. 

Nope, I'm sticking with what I said, because "the first person signed to a PR deal" has a lot more to do with PR than it does to do with her merits as a golfer.

Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

This thread has become an exhausting battle of semantics.  

Everyone knows what everyone means.  But just loves to fight based on the words used.  

• Like 1

:tmade:  - SIM2 - Kuro Kage silver 60 shaft
:cobra:  - F9 3W, 15 degree - Fukijara Atmos white tour spec stiff flex shaft

:tmade: - M2 hybrid, 19 degree
:tmade: - GAPR 3 iron - 18degree
:mizuno: MP-H5 4-5 iron, MP-25 6-8 iron, MP-5 9-PW

Miura - 1957 series k-grind - 56 degree
:bettinardi: - 52 degree
:titleist: - Scotty Cameron Newport 2 - Putter

check out my swing here

• Administrator
54 minutes ago, lastings said:

This thread has become an exhausting battle of semantics.  

Everyone knows what everyone means.  But just loves to fight based on the words used.  

The fact remains that she did not get the exemption based on her skills as a golfer or her ability to compete.

On 6/25/2018 at 10:56 PM, MrGolfguy67 said:

By the definition of Merit - the quality of being particularly good or worthy, especially so as to deserve praise or reward; as a professional golfer Brittany earned her spot in this event, therefore it is newsworthy.

Remember the argument started right there. No, I continue to say, she did not “earn” her spot “as a professional golfer.”

She earned it for PR purposes. @MrGolfguy67 can change his tune all he wants but I do bit agree with the quote above at all.

P.S. As I see he’s in a timeout again I suspect the topic will settle back down again.

P.P.S. I agree “newsworthy” and “PR” are almost splitting hairs these days.

On 6/29/2018 at 12:02 AM, Shorty said:

There are no comments to the contary in this thread. No one thinks it's a really bad thing and everyone acknowledges that the sponsors can do whatever they like. The debate is purely based around someone who thinks she "earned" her spot because she's a nice person.

I think what I said, or intended anyway, was that the number of viewers would increase due to Brittany's appearance, in spite of comments indicating they won't watch whether on not Brittany was playing.   Given the competition for viewers from the golfing public this particular week, I think it was a smart move on the sponsors part and I do believe it will entice a few viewers to tune in that might not have otherwise.  So I think she earned her spot, but not with her golfing skills, she is ranked 32 on the LPGA, but rather just because she is an unusual choice by the sponsors, a female golfer playing a men's event.

Butch

• Administrator

Yes, @ghalfaire, she earned her spot for PR reasons. Not because of her golf skills or her personality.

We all agree on that except a standout or two.

15 minutes ago, ghalfaire said:

I think what I said, or intended anyway, was that the number of viewers would increase due to Brittany's appearance, in spite of comments indicating they won't watch whether on not Brittany was playing.   Given the competition for viewers from the golfing public this particular week, I think it was a smart move on the sponsors part and I do believe it will entice a few viewers to tune in that might not have otherwise.  So I think she earned her spot, but not with her golfing skills, she is ranked 32 on the LPGA, but rather just because she is an unusual choice by the sponsors, a female golfer playing a men's event.

There may be a small bump in numbers of people watching. I don't know that it will be sustained for the whole event though. Most likely it will be a novelty click over to see what's happening with the circus then a switch back.

KICK THE FLIP!!

In the bag:
:srixon: Z355

:callaway: XR16 3 Wood
:tmade: Aeroburner 19* 3 hybrid
:ping: I e1 irons 4-PW
:vokey: SM5 50, 60
:wilsonstaff: Harmonized Sole Grind 56 and Windy City Putter

11 minutes ago, Jeremie Boop said:

There may be a small bump in numbers of people watching. I don't know that it will be sustained for the whole event though. Most likely it will be a novelty click over to see what's happening with the circus then a switch back.

I don't disagree as I think the probability of Brittany making the cut is, for practical purposes, zero.  But I will find it interesting to see just how well she can do on a course set up for a PGA tournament.

Butch

• 2 weeks later...

Sponsor's exemptions are PR deals. Anyone who deserves to be in the tournament qualified for it or wins a Monday qualifier to get in.

Isn't that why tour players don't like them? They take up a spot from someone who can play their way in.

Bill

“By three methods we may learn wisdom: First, by reflection, which is noblest; Second, by imitation, which is easiest; and third by experience, which is the bitterest.” - Confucius

My Swing Thread

On 6/2/2018 at 11:42 PM, MrGolfguy67 said:

Following in the footsteps of Annika Sorenstam, Michelle Wie, and others. The Barbasol Championship is in Kentucky in mid-July opposite the Open Championship.

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/06/02/sports/golf/brittany-lincicome-pga-.html

For the record i don't think BL will make the cut but i hope she does well and enjoys herself because its a great honor for her to be there.

Don't you shank no more 

8 hours ago, billchao said:

Sponsor's exemptions are PR deals. Anyone who deserves to be in the tournament qualified for it or wins a Monday qualifier to get in.

Isn't that why tour players don't like them? They take up a spot from someone who can play their way in.

I wonder what effect their presence has on sponsors, either willingness to sponsor or amount willing to pay.  In other words, I wonder if purses would decrease if sponsor invites were removed or reduced. 

-- Michael | My swing! 

"You think you're Jim Furyk. That's why your phone is never charged." - message from my mother

Driver:  Titleist 915D2.  4-wood:  Titleist 917F2.  Titleist TS2 19 degree hybrid.  Another hybrid in here too.  Irons 5-U, Ping G400.  Wedges negotiable (currently 54 degree Cleveland, 58 degree Titleist) Edel putter. 

Thursday/Friday pairings & tee times announced, BL is paired with Sam Ryder and Conrad Shindler.

Don't you shank no more 

If nothing else, and I'm in agreement with most, she won't make the cut, she may inspire other younger girls to take up the sport.  That would be something positive

• Upvote 1

From the land of perpetual cloudiness.   I'm Denny

Note: This thread is 2098 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!