Sign in to follow this  
Davd

New Irons

Note: This thread is 763 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

3 posts / 705 viewsLast Reply

I just ordered a new pair of titliest 716 CB irons, I tried them out in store compared to a set of AP 1. I'm a higher handicap player wondering if I made a good decision with buying this set. I liked the CB's better than the AP 1 irons, but I don't know if getting a set a blades will possibly increase my handicap. 

I think that one who likes a set of irons should buy a set which they like, not if it fits into their handicap bracket. (Please correct me if I'm wrong).

Lastly, I was thinking of practicing, as a blade has a smaller face and requires a constant striking location. Wouldn't getting a set of blades help with accuracy on hitting the ball in the correct location and therefore make 'practicing' worth it, instead of going to the range with a set of high forgiving irons to wack the ball inconsistently but still have it go where one might want it. I just think that blades will help golfers who have experience with the game to get better quicker with practice.   

This is exactly what I do: I picked up a set of Titleist 690 MB‘s on ebay and loved them. Just recently had a set of Mizuno MP18‘s fitted and they feel great. For me, a blade looks just right when addressing the ball, and I do believe it helps me swing more precisely. I think the key thing is whether you feel comfortable with your clubs, there is no hard-and-fast rule. I tried to play with my son’s Callaway X22’s once and they neither looked nor felt right (the results were not great either).

In any case, playing these irons is not what spoils my handicap - that is down to wayward tee shots losing me too many points. 

@DavdThe 716 CB's are not blades.  They are a cavity back iron... and a nice looking one at that! 

The AP1's are GI irons targeted at higher handicapped players.

The AP2's are more like blades.

I am about the same HI as you and I play Miura MC102's and Mizuno MP67's.  I love the look and feel of both.  The Mizuno's are blades and a lil harder to hit but I accept that when I take them to the course.  Both sets are for good players and with time on the course and range they have improved my ball striking.

I say you gotta like what you play... tough for me standing over some SGi shovel that I don't like the look or feel.

I have shot some good rounds with both sets.  Enjoy your new irons!

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Note: This thread is 763 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!