IGNORED

Your First Car

Patch
Note: This thread is 1869 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

(edited)

POS 1985? Ford tempo.

$300. My dad bought it so I could taxi me & my two younger brothers to-n-fro sports practices. 

Edited by woodzie264

Driver: :callaway: Rogue ST  /  Woods: :tmade: Stealth 5W / Hybrid: :tmade: Stealth 25* / Irons: :ping: i500’s /  Wedges: :edel: 54*, 58*; Putter: :scotty_cameron: Futura 5  Ball: image.png Vero X1

-Jonny

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Obviously not my first car, but definately my last. I purchased a Ford F-250, 4 door, 4wd, 460ci,  today. All the whistles and bells are on it. 

Took almost 7 hrs to finalize the purchase. They wanted this much, and I was only going to pay that much for it. Taxes, and fees included. Definately wasn't going to pay anywhere near the sticker price for it. The sales guy said my offer was not in any relm of possibility. Way below dealer cost, and all the other male cow fecal matter car salesmen are famous for.

I was with my Grandson, who is getting my old truck. They finally decided in my favor after I told my GS to order a pizza, and drinks, that we aree going to be here for a while. Shortly after the pizza arrived, the sales manager agreed to my offer. 

My Grandson is a very happy young man. 

In My Bag:
A whole bunch of Tour Edge golf stuff...... :beer:

I learned to drive in my parents' cars; a 1966 Beetle, a 1966 Chrysler Newport slightly smaller than Texas, and a 1954-56? F100 that had a steering wheel the size of a ship's wheel, and had to be double clutched between first and second.

They bought me my first actual car, a 1974 Dodge Charger- factory mag wheels, vinyl roof, 318 V8, air conditioning. It was brand new, and under $4K out the door. It had an AM radio, and later I added an under dash FM/8 track. I wish I still had it.

Don

In the bag:

Driver: PING 410 Plus 9 degrees, Alta CB55 S  Fairway: Callaway Rogue 3W PX Even Flow Blue 6.0; Hybrid: Titleist 818H1 21* PX Even Flow Blue 6.0;  Irons: Titleist 718 AP1 5-W2(53*) Shafts- TT AMT Red S300 ; Wedges Vokey SM8 56-10D Putter: Scotty Cameron 2016 Newport 2.5  Ball: Titleist AVX or 2021 ProV1

• 4 weeks later...

1972 brown Plymouth Valiant with the 318, not the slant 6 - I purchased it when I was 15 in 1995 for $1200, had only 62k miles. Looked like this -

Screenshot_20181231-141827_1.png

Edited by colin007
Spelling

Colin P.

• 2 weeks later...

My first car was a late '60's Plymouth VIP, which was just a Plymouth Fury with cloth seats and A/C! My Mom wanted to buy a new car and sold it to me for a Thou! Not cheap, but still a bargain. And I remember the shriek that came out of her when she walked outside to discover that I had most of the interior ripped out of the thing in order to install a kick ass stereo! 

My first new car is an interesting story. We went to the local Chrysler/Plymouth dealer to have a look. My Step Dad kept pushing the Duster! Remember the Plymouth Duster? There were some "hotter" models of that car, but the one we were looking at was not one of those! Six cylinders, bench seats, baby crap brown. It was a "grannymobile"! 

I kept looking and spotted the Barracuda! And it was my Mom who told me that if that was the car I really wanted, then that's what I should buy! God bless my Mom! To give you some idea of the time period involved, there was only about $600 difference between the price of the Duster and the Cuda. The Duster was priced at, as I recall, about $2600! The Cuda ran me about $3200! 

Admittedly the Cuda wasn't the most "practical" choice. Not with the white vinyl top and white interior! I had to work my butt off to keep the thing clean! But it was a hell of a nice car!

On 12/1/2018 at 8:10 PM, Papa Steve 55 said:

66 Mustang, this color....

MUSTANG.png

This, but a ‘65.

In David's bag....

Driver: Titleist 910 D-3;  9.5* Diamana Kai'li
3-Wood: Titleist 910F;  15* Diamana Kai'li
Hybrids: Titleist 910H 19* and 21* Diamana Kai'li
Irons: Titleist 695cb 5-Pw

Wedges: Scratch 51-11 TNC grind, Vokey SM-5's;  56-14 F grind and 60-11 K grind
Putter: Scotty Cameron Kombi S
Ball: ProV1

1978 Mercedes 240D, in baby butt brown (Colorado Beige).

470_coloradobeige.jpg

001.jpg

These aren't photos of my car itself, just of the same model and color. The car was recently repainted when I got it, so it was closer to the top color (not as faded as the bottom picture). I just don't have any good photos of the car itself.

Here's a photo of my car shortly before we sold it, taken in Colorado where it pretty closely matched the scenery so I guess the Colorado Beige was actually the color of some parts of Colorado?

20180120_105017.jpg

Most interesting memory was definitely when the clutch hydraulic line went out on the highway heading into school the day of a golf tournament. Ended up driving without a clutch for a while before pulling into the parking lot of a bank that had recently left. Loading it onto the trailer the oil pan got caught and ripped open, meaning I got to special order the hydraulic line from Germany (it's some unusual custom bent piece of copper tubing) and scavenge a new oil pan from a junkyard.

The 0-60 time was 37 seconds with your foot on the floor, which made things interesting trying to get onto any highways in the first place.

The first car I bought for myself was (and still is) a bit more fun than that. The only hard practicality requirement I had when looking at different options was that it needed to be able to fit a set of golf clubs in the trunk.

20170915_153313.jpg

1955 Ford Fairlane. I bought it off my High School Coach (Ohio). I had just joined the Navy in 1959 and drove it to my first duty station in Washington D.C. (actually in Cheltenham MD).  I have owned 21 cars since then plus 5 motorcycles.

"James"

:titleist: 913 D3 with Aldila RIP Phenom 60 4,2 Regular Shaft,  :touredge: Exotics XCG-7 Beta 3W with Matrix Red Tie Shaft:touredge: Exotics EX8 19 deg Hybrid w UST Mamiya Recoil F3 Shaft:touredge: Exotics EX9 28 deg Hybrid w UST Mamiya Recoil F3  shaft, / Bobby Jones Black 22 deg Hybrid:touredge: Exotics EXi 6 -PW  w UST Mamiya Recoil F2 Shaft, SW (56),GW (52),LW (60):touredge:  TGS),/ ODDYSEE Metal-X #7 customized putter (400G, cut down Mid Belly)

• 1 month later...

1974 Ford Mustang II. Bought it from a buddy when I was in the service. Beat the hell out of it going back and forth from Lancaster, Pa to Camp Lejeune. It was puke green. Loved that car.

1969 Buick Skylark hardtop coupe. 350 auto with factory A/C. I bought it when I was 15- I had saved up from mowing lawns and driving tractors starting back when I was 12 or 13.

Note: This thread is 1869 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!