IGNORED

Fractured Wrist Brought Me to TST

PeterB
Note: This thread is 2072 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Two weeks back I was talking to my attorney on a Div matter when he mentioned we never went for Sturgeon Bay WI for Bronzebacks like we talked about years back. I'd been through some stress over past few months and decided it might be a good time to take the Ranger up north for a few days. Alan (76) was going up Friday prior to the holiday, I agreed to meet him on Monday fish through Wed. Its a 4/5hr north from Park Ridge so I decided to ask Anna (40's) to join me for a few days, figured female companionship would be nice and we could hang on the boat a few days on our own... Long story short, launching the boat out with inexperienced Ann and I managed to hit the doc with my wrist which caused a freak radial fracture which will require surgery on coincidence my Son's 13th birthday this Monday 6/11... This past week while Googling about it, it brought me to a thread here on wrist injury which I read, found interesting, informative and as a result registered...

Figured unfortunately, I'm not going to be golfing until at best fall so might as well enjoy more than just the Golf channel :/

Thanks for having me Gents...

-

• iacas changed the title to Fractured Wrist Injury brought WindyCity's PeterB (12hcp) to TST

Well, welcome to TST. Sorry to read about your wrist injury. Take your meds, and do what the doc says do. You will be back out thre hitting balls before you know it. 

In My Bag:
A whole bunch of Tour Edge golf stuff...... :beer:

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

(edited)

Had Surgery on right wrist Monday 6/11 holding fracture in place is a Titanium pin, still hurts...

Boxing glove size dressing comes off tomorrow 6/15 to be replaced by cast. Not sure how much longer after that 4-6 weeks is what the Orthopedic Sports Surgeon is suggesting so perhaps by 8/2018 I'll be able to tee'm up :/

Titanium pin.jpeg

Edited by PeterB

EEK! What a picture!  @PeterB, take the rest, do the necessary phys therapy, etc. At some point, you can putt, then chip, and on. Last week, I was able to play for the 5th time since different injuries plus onset of severe rheum arthritis. It WILL come! During the layoff, I read up on golf...old (like me) instruction books, fiction and nonfiction. I finally got Lowest Score Wins. Something completely different. Anyway, take care. Lots to do in golf outside of play and practice. Best wishes for speedy healing, -Marv 

DRIVER: Cleveland 588 Altitude ( Matrix Radix Sv Graphite, A) IRONS: Mizuno JPX-800 HD Irons & 3,4,5 JPX Fli-Hi (Grafalloy Prolaunch Blue Graphite, R); WEDGES: (Carried as needed) Artisan Golf 46, 50, 53, 56 low bounce, 56 high bounce; PUTTER: Mizuno TP Mills 9

10 hours ago, PeterB said:

Had Surgery on right wrist Monday 6/11 holding fracture in place is a Titanium pin, still hurts...

Boxing glove size dressing comes off tomorrow 6/15 to be replaced by cast. Not sure how much longer after that 4-6 weeks is what the Orthopedic Sports Surgeon is suggesting so perhaps by 8/2018 I'll be able to tee'm up 😕

Yikes.  I wish you the best in your recovery.  Hopefully we can help you make the most of your time when you get back.  

-- Michael | My swing! 

"You think you're Jim Furyk. That's why your phone is never charged." - message from my mother

Driver:  Titleist 915D2.  4-wood:  Titleist 917F2.  Titleist TS2 19 degree hybrid.  Another hybrid in here too.  Irons 5-U, Ping G400.  Wedges negotiable (currently 54 degree Cleveland, 58 degree Titleist) Edel putter. 

(edited)

Thanks Marv. I appreciate the kind words. Looks better than it feels guys.

once I saw it, I understood why Ha!

IMG_5828.jpg

That said  Shindig with the US Open on I couldn't resist getting out and trying a few left hand only drills... Sank a couple dozen, worked on keeping the putter faced aligned and keeping my head very still... Then took off and went to Dr's appointment.

lefty.jpg

Edited by PeterB

(edited)

To my amazement he did not cast it as I thought he might. I moaned about it and joked I'd give him GNote if he didn't! Having Ana drive me there in her tight jeans, high heels and low cut blouse might have helped my case. Dr used dressing again with a low, under support cast only. Dr. claimed it was due to my Sons Nicholas (13) no cast request at last weeks Dr's visit but something tells me it was something else 😄 

Next week, stitches come out and possibly just a few more weeks to go before I can grip the club with both hands and chip, pitch a few... Slow and steady wins the race.

Edited by PeterB

Welcome to the TST. Your wrist x-ray looks a lot better than mine after my bike crash 10 years back .  Once it heals you should be fine, of course, you'll have to spend the new few years explaining to people that you don't self-harm when they see the scar 🙂

Ha! I could see that Moxie, I hadn't even considered that angle.

What did you do crash your Harley mo? What year was that? How's the action on the wrist these days? Still feel it when it rains or something or is it totally back 100% back to normal  ?

-

Sure and to add insult to injury my fitted order on my new Rogue Irons, 60 graphite shafts just came in this past week  :/

• 2 weeks later...

Surgery 6/11 with a 7/7 Ortho Dr.s appt to which he mentioned to me two weeks ago I can start to practice my short game after. Although I have to be honest I'm nervous to take a divot on an iron shot or hit a bunker shot. Not sure, might be smart to just lay off another month or so. 

Well anxious to see what tomorrow brings. I've had no therapy to date and would think thats probably next on the agenda.

I've been active on the greens and have been practice putting all along. Picked up a new $10 gatchet on Amazon that seems to help your alignment and keeping your eyes, head quiet....

Puter trainer.jpeg

Welcome to TST, and sorry to hear about your injury.  I broke my own wrist a little over 10 years ago.  I fell on my last morning in Ireland, and didn't see a doctor until after I flew home.  It was a different kind of fracture, but still required surgery, a TI plate, and I think 11 screws. 

daves_wrist0001.thumb.JPG.6f2dd5321e0e378c506c8e53dd68797b.JPG

Surgery was delayed, I ended up with one of those "airplane air" colds, and they wouldn't sedate me the first time, so it was two weeks later that I got it fixed. I was never in a cast, and was in a splint for only about 2 weeks after the surgery.   Still, it takes a while to heal properly.  Fortunately, I got clearance from the doc to begin stretching and regaining range of motion as soon as the splint came off, so as soon as the doc told me I could swing a club, I was close to ready.  Actually, at 8 weeks after surgery he told me I could start in another month.  I assumed that meant I could start light practice so I would be ready when that month was over.

Good luck with your recovery.  Follow the doc's orders, rehab diligently, and you'll be just fine.

Dave

:callaway: Rogue SubZero Driver

:titleist: 915F 15 Fairway, 816 H1 19 Hybrid, AP2 4 iron to PW, Vokey 52, 56, and 60 wedges, ProV1 balls 
:ping: G5i putter, B60 version
 :ping:Hoofer Bag, complete with Newport Cup logo
:footjoy::true_linkswear:, and Ashworth shoes

the only thing wrong with this car is the nut behind the wheel.

• 1 month later...

Hope Everything heals Well for you Brother....Like you an Injury Also has Brought me here....A Torn RHOMBOID MUSCLE which doesn't Look Near as Painful as Your Wrist although I Broke My Tib/Fib Years Ago had 4 Surgeries 16 Screws, 3 Plates and 2 Rods Later and most of the Days its Ok but Somedays It Absolutely Kills me....Like the Other Member Said TAKE IT SLOW COMING BACK AND THE PT MIGHT BE YOUR WORST ENEMY WHEN YOU START BUT WILL BE YOUR BEST FRIEND WHEN YOU ARE FINISHED....KINISIOLOGY TAPE!!!!! Remember Kinisiology Tape because that Stuff will end up Maybe really Helping you.....It has My Ankle I have been fitted for Ankle Braces, had Store Bought Ones, Literally Soaked it in Salt and other Herbal Remedies, and Yet Nothing has Given Me Relief like The KT Tape.....Anyways I am gonna start hitting little wedge shots this Weekend and Seeing how My Injury is feeling but Dr Said 3-6 Weeks for my Tear and I am coming up on 3 Now!!!!!! 

Man I had similar accident. For the last 4-5 years, I would say I played maybe 3 rounds a year. Just got busy with life(37 years old and married with 2 furry children) and didn't enjoy it, my game had slipped and it wasn't as fun anymore. 

Last New Years I was at a friend's house at Mexico Beach, FL and was skipping down the hill to the dock to look at his new Contender fishing boat. It was just before the sun was going down and the dew had fallen ahead of inclement weather approaching. Once I reached the dock off of the steep embankment, I was moving pretty fast. When my cowboy boots😂 Hit the slick wood on the dock, my feet shot out from under me and went towards the sky. I planted the base of my left palm down to break my fall and sprained/cracked my wrist. Some friends who were nurses and physicians assistant looked at it the following morning and said it was broke.

i was hard headed and did not seek medical treatment, thinking that I could take it easy and it would heal instead of getting casted. I was wrong and I could not stop re aggravating it, in turn slowing down my recovery. 

I wasn't able to swing a club till early July. I was invited to play in a local tournament at a local historic small course. So I literally attempted 9 holes exactly one week before and the wrist felt good enough. I slowed my swing down considerably to not risk another injury. I went out and shot back to back 79's and ended up winning my flight! I've since played about 3 rounds and my iron game is better than ever. I hit Mizuno blades and they can be rough as you all know. But my strength since the wrist injury is 3-6 irons and I couldn't be happier. I've been hitting greens from 200-250 out with my long irons, and off the tee I have kept the driver in the bag more often. 

So here's to your recovery and hopefully it'll be shorter than mine, and enjoy the new approach to your game when you return! It could end up being a good thing, trust me.

Edited by TitletownMP33

-

Welcome to TSP MP33! Thank you for your well wishes and well written post.

Sounds like your injury heeled up pretty good after all. Hitting your blades deuce, quarter out is good evidence of it. Super! I'm 7 weeks out now and have been hitting 30-40 grapes at the rockpile for a couple weeks now but have yet to play a full round. After about 12 therapy sessions twice a week its feeling 65-70% 

Headed out get 18 in today for the 1st time since the injury 5/29, we'll see how it plays out. See if I have a birdie or two in me...

I'd say slow and steady hey? Surgeon says its healed and that I'm not going to hurt anything but may get some inflammation so I may ice it afterwards. We'll see how it feels.

Guys say they want strokes since I have a Titanium in plant now, I gave then the f-u finger. Lol ha ha 

See ya around brotha. Enjoy your weekend.

_

• iacas changed the title to Fractured Wrist Brought Me to TST
Note: This thread is 2072 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!