IGNORED

Your First Set of Clubs

fishgolf
Note: This thread is 1214 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Tommy Armour 845 Silverscotts from Play It Again.  No good story.

Driver: :callaway: Rogue ST  /  Woods: :tmade: Stealth 5W / Hybrid: :tmade: Stealth 25* / Irons: :ping: i500’s /  Wedges: :edel: 54*, 58*; Putter: :scotty_cameron: Futura 5  Ball: image.png Vero X1

-Jonny

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

• 2 weeks later...
On ‎6‎/‎15‎/‎2018 at 6:49 PM, Buckeyebowman said:

The first set of clubs I bought for myself was a set of "Haig Ultradyne 2's" made by the Walter Hagen golf company, and God only knows who they actually were!

Interesting.  I've never heard of those irons.  "Ultradyne"... you just gotta love the marketing dudes.  I wonder what the hell the Karsten group was thinking when the came up with Ping Eye? :doh:

Callaway Razr-Fit 8.5 Driver | Callaway GBB Warbird 3W | PingEye 2 Irons (2-PW) | McGregor Jack Nicklaus SW | Ping B61 Putter

My first club was a cut off 7i. My first set was a cut off Sam Snead Blue Ridge 3w 3i 5i 7i 9i. Then my dad won some clubhouse credit and got me a real junior set made by Nomad. My first full set was a set of Wilson 1200LT 3-PW. The first new full set I ever bought myself was a set of Ping ISI 3-PW. A bunch of us owned those. One guy at my course had the Beryllium Copper, one guy had the Nickel, and 3 of us had the regular ones.

I just started playing last year and bought a bag of used clubs off eBay.  It had a Callaway Hawkeye VFT driver, 9* and stiff shaft so not the best for someone just breaking in to the sport.  Never even got to use it in a game as the head went flying off during a range session right before my groups tee time.  Also had a TaylorMade R580 3W stiff shaft which I later replaced with the same club in a regular flex.  Nicklaus irons, hybrids and Teardrop putter which I am still using.  Only wedge included was a Top Flite sand wedge so I picked up a Silver Scott 845s pitching wedge to round out the set.  

• :cleveland: Classic 270
  • :tmade: R580 3W, 5W, 7W
  • :nicklaus: Dual Point 3H, 4H
  • :nicklaus: IronMax Progressive 5i-9i
  • :cleveland: RTX 2.0 48*, 52*, 58*
  • Teardrop TD-47 Putter

Dunlop set (Driver through putter) from K-Mart when I was 15 in 1995. The set cost $200. It was the only set I had until 2011. My brother will still use them on occasion.

-Jimmy

:nike: VR_S Covert 2.0 Driver, 3W
:pxg: 0311 X (3), 0311 XF (4-6), 0311 (7-PW, 52/56/60)
:titleist: 2016 Scotty Cameron Newport Select Putter

"That tiger ain't go crazy; that tiger went tiger!" - Chris Rock

Top Flite 3 Wood thru SW with graphite shafts.

Graphite probably isn't the best option for a newbie, after about 6 months the shafts started to break near the head.  Probably from hitting the ground before the ball over and over.

Palm Springs Desert Classics, and matching steel "woods", plus a Slotline Bullseye putter.  The irons were sold to a coworker who used them till they started coming apart.

First set was Dunlops from Play it Again Sports lol.  Dunlop irons, Dunlop driver and I think a Knight Golf putter lol.  Next set was Rawlings RXP... I really did like those.  Always got a lot of looks “Rawlings???  Didn’t know they even made golf clubs”

Callaway XR 9.5 + 1, Taylormade R15 3 Wood, Burner 3 Rescue, Callaway XHot 5H, Warbird 4H, Nike Vapor Fly 6-AW Irons, Titleist Vokey 54, 60 Wedges, Taylormade Rossa Fontana Putter, Srixon Z-Star Tour Yellow.

Best Score 2017:  82 (Traditions at the Glen, Par 70)

Favorite Course - Conklin Players Club (Par 72) - Best Score 86

Started out with a basic set of :spalding:, which were purchased at Gimbels, which I got as a birthday present when I was 11 or so.  Played them for MANY years, even though they became way too short for me for good play.  I then got a set of :wilson:Gear Effect clubs in1978 which I played up to the late 1900s, when golf took a back seat for a lot of reasons.  When I decided to get back to golf, after heart surgeries and my losing two toes, I decided to relinquish that old well used set to First Tee and get really serious about a good fitted set that is now my current weapons.   Until my most recent clubs ( :ping:) , my woods were persimmons and I had a few clubs, such as my 1 iron, which remained nameless, unless I was cursing at it.  My putter was a bullseye style most of my life!

In My BELDIN Green Bay Packer 1999 SUPER BOWL CHAMPION bag :  :ping: G410 Plus Alta Red CB 55 sr,  GX-7  (acting as a 3 wood)  :ping: 4H, 5H. Sr Flex   :ping:  G400 6i Sr Flex, G-Max 7i. 9i Sr Flex , Glide 2.0  Wedges (50º, 56º, 60º)  :touredge:  Chipper  :ping: Putter: Cadence Mid-TR 350g:bridgestone:  e12 for the items I try to hit on purpose.  :footjoy: on my feet and hands, US Embassy-Singapore hat on my head (with PACKERS, Brewers or UW-Badgers hats as options).

My first set was Discount store $69 MacGregor clubs. Real woods (1-3-5) and 3-PW irons. Played those until 2003 when tore cartilage in both hands, work related. They went MIA 3 years ago during the divorce. Oh well.  Now to upgrade but no clue where to begin.

I had a few sets of junior clubs but my first full set were hand me downs from my dad. McGregor Tourney DX2 irons. Sometime in the mid-80's K had the heads restored but Dad wouldn't use them as they were too heavy for him by then. I reshafted them a few years back and will hit them from time to time. Still feel sweet when you get one flush. First driver was a Ram Fastback with aluminum shaft and laminated maple head. Still have it in the basement but won't hit it as I'm afraid that the shaft could be fragile. Nice conversation piece though. Putter was a Hogan Rail which I "liberated" from my brother several years ago and still practice with it. 

Lots of other bits/pieces as well. 

Set of Dunlop Maxflite muscle backs. My Uncle gave them to me when i started playing 5 years ago rather than me buying a set. 4-SW but missing the 6i. Slipped out his hands when he was playing and got stuck in a rather tall tree.

Eventually got a set of Wilson Di9's so gave them back to him in case he needed a 3rd(!!!) backup set. Hated the Wilson's so much i sold them and got a set of Hippo Beasts that were similar age to the dunlops and love them,

Russ, from "sunny" Yorkshire = :-( 

In the bag: Driver: Ping G5 , Woods:Dunlop NZ9, 4 Hybrid: Tayormade Burner, 4-SW: Hippo Beast Bi-Metal , Wedges: Wilson 1200, Putter: Cleveland Smartsquare Blade, Ball: AD333

Nearly all of the clubs sold back in the 60's and 70's were hand made in the USA. Most irons were forged and woods were....wood. Some real nice furniture-grade stuff. I still have a bunch of them in my basement - top condition, some never hit. Each wood carefully tooled and finished by hand. These guys were artists, and famous for their designs. Nothing like what is being done today.

I always wanted a set of "high tech" Shakespeare clubs back then (the ones with the black fiberglass shafts). Shakespeare made fiberglass fishing rods back then. Gary Player was their tour player, and  everyone thought he was using those black fiberglass shafts. In fact, he hated them because of their torque, and played with steel shafts painted black to fool the public. True story.

Tommy armour 845 irons. Taylor made burner driver. Ping answer putter.

My bag:

Taylor Made R7 (x-stiff).
Taylor Made Burner 2 irons (stiff)
Cleveland Wedges (gap and 60)
Odyssey two ball putter (white) 

• 2 years later...

My first set was mixed with dotted club faces, a few grooved ones, some had brown fiberglass shafts. One of the woods was a 2 1/2 wood with a checkered sweet spot.  My first bought set were NorthWesterns.  Ironically, I just purchased a pristine set of Northwestern Chi Chi Rodriguez forged blades, with matching 1-3-4 woods with head covers, in a pristine K-Line tan leather bag.  I can't find a mention of this bag anywhere on the planet. The bad has the strap and rain cover, again, in fantastic shape.  It also has the Northwestern model 1100, once 24K gold plated putter.
After falling for the marketing of all the big brands and playing several sets, I'm playing the best golf of my life with a clone set of Taylormade M2's, manufactured from a small company in Illinois.  I played actual M2's this past weekend, shot for shot on each hole for comparison.  Just couldn't see a difference.  I can actually work the clone better :-)  The bag was full of K-28+ balls and other nostalgic spheres.  

I started golfing in 1977, at the ripe old age of 18. My first set of clubs was a set of Wilson Staff blades/ persimmons given to me by a neighbor.  My second set was a set of First Flight "The Instruments" I bought used at a driving range/ pro shop. Somewhere around 1979 I bought my first Taylormade Metal woods. Caved in the face of a few, had others develop rattles. Used a Tony Pena set of persimmons with aluminum inserts off and on well into the 90's. (still have the driver). Wilson 8802 and Acushnet Bullseye (Still on the shelf) were my go to putters till I picked up an Anser somewhere in the 80's. Second set of irons (and my first new set) was a set of Wilson Goosenecks. Great clubs I fell in love with the look, but the offset didn't fit my swing. I had friends lining up to buy them. Absolute best set of irons I ever had, and what Iplayed for years when I was a scratch (even replaced a set because I had worn out the grooves on the short irons) were Yonex ADX Tours. (NOT Super ADX). Super thin top line, compact quasi cavity back SOFT forgings. My kid  who took up golf this year and got me back into it is playing my old set right now. He hits them very well, despite being a newb. We did replace the 48 degree 10 iron,  52 degree PW and  56 degree SW with Vokeys, they were pretty worn out. He is playing my old 1990's Cleveland 60 degree LW and has holed it out so many times he refuses to consider replacing it.

My first set of clubs were a set of MacGregor Golden Bears bought at Oshman's Sorting Goods at Westshore Plaza in Tampa. The set was comprised of three woods (1, 3, and 5) and eight irons (3 - PW).  They were blades, but I don't think they were forged.  I added a Northwestern sand wedge and a Ray Cook heel-shafted putter.  All of it was carried in a black Spalding bag.

:ping:

• G400 - 9° /Alta CB 55 Stiff / G410-SFT - 16° /Project X 6.0S 85G / G410 - 20.5° /Tensei Orange 75S
  • G710 - 4 iron/SteelFiber i110cw Stiff • / i210 - 5 iron - UW / AWT 2.0 Stiff
  • Glide SS - 54° / CFS Wedge / Glide 2.0 SS - 58°/10 / KBS 120S / Hoofer - Black

:scotty_cameron: - Select Squareback / 35"  -  :titleist: - Pro V1 / White  -  :clicgear: - 3.5+ / White

Note: This thread is 1214 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!