IGNORED

How to get a Lean Body?

adampaul
Note: This thread is 1983 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

On 6/23/2018 at 11:02 AM, Zeph said:

Yes, and the scientific studies says that it's bollocks. When you eat during the day doesn't matter. How much you eat matters. What you eat late doesn't become fat. An issue when discussing health, diet and training is that things get way too complicated and detailed. For most people it's pretty straight forward and a matter of energy in and energy spent.

If you summed up close to every case of a person trying to lose weight and failing to do so, it's because the person isn't cutting enough calories or overestimating their spent energy. It's very common to blame everything but ourselves, because it is difficult and our body doesn't really want to lose weight. It's essentially a fight between your body and your mind.

I agree 100% and that's what I have always gone by. When I counted calories and macros, I didn't care what time of day I ate them, as long as I hit those numbers that day. I have never used "meal timing" as a standard.

Bryan A
"Your desire to change must be greater than your desire to stay the same"

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

• 2 weeks later...

I am working on my diet and getting results. Actually, I am not losing the weight but losing the inches size. Isn't that great start, I am very happy with my start. 

Good job losing weight.

Those who understand diet as just being HOW MUCH to eat are like high-handicappers at diet.  They can effectively control weight through diet.  Just not that precise.  Weight loss is slow and often ends up being temporary.

Those who also understand WHAT to eat are like mid-handicappers.  They can lose weight FAST.  And keep it off.

Those who understand HOW MUCH to eat, WHAT to eat and WHEN to eat are like low-handicappers at diet.  They can lose weight whenever they want FAST, enjoy whatever they want to eat at certain times, and easily keep weight off.

So many people just do not realize what is possible if this level of understanding about diet is achieved.  It is just like a high-handicapper not understanding how a scratch player does magic shots.  It is not impossible, it is knowing how.

Edited by GOATee

According to Lemmy...you have to use a MasterCard.

In der bag:
Cleveland Hi-Bore driver, Maltby 5 wood, Maltby hybrid, Maltby irons and wedges (23 to 50) Vokey 59/07, Cleveland Niblick (LH-42), and a Maltby mallet putter.                                                                                                                                                 "When the going gets tough...it's tough to get going."

I used to look a lot at scientific studies for diet advice.  I stopped when I realized how much they disagree all the time.  So in the area of diet, I would not simply believe something works on basis of a study without self-testing it.  This is actually quite similar to golf, isn't it?  So much different advice out there, it is up to yourself to figure out what works for yourself.

I just suggest there are three possible diet levers that can control weight loss.  Amount eaten, food groups and meal timing.  Believe or not, whatever works for your genes, it is down to self-testing your own success approach.  Why not try different variations of each lever to see what works for you?  Why only use or test one lever when combining two or three could be your personal fastest way to weight loss?

Edited by GOATee

If we test every diet to check it will work or not that will be time-consuming without any specific results. If We target the diet that already gives positive results to people, we should follow that diet without doing any experiments. You can do experiments with your diet but if you are fat and trying to lose weight then you should follow the diet without wasting your time to get fast results.

On 6/22/2018 at 11:34 AM, Blackjack Don said:

We are hardly in disagreement. And about .0001% of the population is going alone with us. I have a lazy gene, and a Type 2 gene. I love chocolate and good TV. I'm past the age where Mother Nature has any use for me as a breeder, so she's turned on the aging switch and turned off all the switches that make life easy. I combat that with awareness practice and some semblance of yoga, too. Still, I am a silverback, and that's reality, for me. 

My focus in life is a dharma practice. I spend twenty minutes a day doing vipassana, and about 20 minutes doing yoga. I've started to lose weight slowly. I figure I put it on an oz at a time, so why not be patient with taking it off. I am far less sore than I was a year ago. Have a little more energy, and a lot more happiness. 

Meditation is something more people would be successful doing than dieting, but that's not happening for many more people than ones who are taking care of their bodies. If they won't exercise their minds, not likely are they to feed their bodies right, either.

According to the latest science I'm aware of, consciousness is about 70,000 years old. Agriculture is about 12,000 years old. Recorded history began approximately 8,000 years ago. Not sure where you got this figure, but cave paintings are newer than 100,000 years. So, according to your figure, agriculture began before this basic of social culture began? Doesn't matter to the discussion, and not worth pursuing, but if this figure were accurate, human history would be very different. Just sayin'.

This is a cool topic of interest to me, personally. All I am contributing is an awareness of the natural struggle we all have as modern human beings in an ancient form. It's an uphill struggle, for sure, but we're living longer--again, a debatable issue regarding quality vs time, but I digress, again. We know more, but that doesn't make it easier.

I realized not long ago that at 63, I will never "be in shape" again. I will be unlikely to "feel good." I can only do the best I can, within reason, and keep trying to do better. Time for me to go sit on my cushion.

Be well.

I don’t agree with the “i will never be in shape again” theory of age.

I feel great and, and at 65, don’t think I’ve ever been stronger. I was leaner when I was 20-25, but I have more muscle now. It’s tougher to control the padding on my kidneys than it was, but not impossible; I fight that one with wheat-based foods and drink. I got way out of shape, starting in my early 40s, and didn’t get out of a mental funk until 56. My chest and arms are bigger (in a good way) than ever before, I stand taller with better posture, and my legs have muscles I forgot existed—all in the last 9 years. I refuse to be the hunched over old man on a cushion.

• Like 1

On 7/15/2018 at 5:26 AM, Robbie son of Lucky said:

I refuse to be the hunched over old man on a cushion.

If this is in reference to me sitting in meditation on my cushion, then, you got me. 🙂

It's because of that practice I can be honest with myself. I do not have the testosterone to be in good shape anymore. I had it tested and it's within the range of "normal" for a man my age. Like my hearing, dammit. I have a mirror. However, in over a year of stretchy/bendy stuff, (I'm not so arrogant as to call it yoga), I have starting to reach my second belt hole reduction. It's a little too snug for eight hours of standing on my feet, but, still...

I'm not doubting you have a solid workout practice and take good care of yourself. I think my yoga has helped me, both in life and golf, which are really the same thing.

Namaste

Wayne

On 6/11/2018 at 5:48 AM, adampaul said:

Hello Everyone,

I need some suggestion on the lean body. Actually, I was doing gym for 2 years because of some personal reasons I haven't gone to the Gym for 6 to 8 months. Now my body fat increase and muscle level decrease also my face got round. So, Guys please help me to get the leaner body. 

Thanks

Eat less and exercise more. 😂

Actually, My doctor told me to lose weight and eat less processed carbs and less salt. My blood pressure was going up beyond 155/112. After 6 months of a better diet eating more meat and veggies, I’ve come down from 227 to 188. Hike 3 times a week with 46 to 90 floors elevation gain and 2 driving range sessions walking the course 1 time a week. BP is 115/79 and HR 62 testing today.

I think I can lose another 8 pounds and start toning my muscles.

I don’t crave sweets, but still enjoy 1 cookie or other sweets a day or less.

:ping:  :tmade:  :callaway:   :gamegolf:  :titleist:

TM White Smoke Big Fontana; Pro-V1
TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56
Ping i20 irons U-4, CFS300
Callaway XR16 9 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S
Callaway XR16 3W 15 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S, X2Hot Pro 20 degrees S

"I'm hitting the woods just great, but I'm having a terrible time getting out of them." ~Harry Toscano

On 6/11/2018 at 12:53 PM, Blackjack Don said:

sizable layer of chocolate fat on the inside of my abdominal wall

When it comes to beef, it is called marbling. I am well-marbled.

• 2 weeks later...

No Mulligans said it a couple of pages ago --> rowing machine...

I recently shelled out $900 (plus tax) for a Concept 2 Rower/Erg...over the last 4.5 months, my body composition has changed with daily (6x per week) rowing.  Start very slow and force yourself to maintain great technique/form; your heart/lungs will adjust and adapt quicker than your joints/muscles.

Rowing is both aerobic/anaerobic exercise (about 85% of your body's muscles are actively engaged), especially when you perform HIIT (going hard for a couple of minutes at a time) during your 40 - 50 minute rowing session.  In fact, I zone out completely (nothing to distract me while I'm mesmerized staring at the chain) and I'm dripping with sweat.  No gym membership necessary.

I've been gluten free for about 7.5 years now (IBS and digestion), but if I do consume veggies/fruits (especially VitaMix smoothies) without major concern of counting carbs...

• 1 month later...
On 6/11/2018 at 1:53 PM, colin007 said:

Change your diet. You will never work off a bad diet.

Unless you're Michael Phelps or an olympic athlete burning 6000 calories a day training.

But Colin007 is right. Caloric deficits are the only way you're going to lose weight. You shouldn't starve yourself, but you shouldn't be eating 6000 calories a day either.

The biggest thing is finding the tools/motivation that works for you. Mine was medical issues(HBP), I'm down 53lbs since January and use intermittent fasting and calorie counting to lose weight. Within 10lbs of my goal weight. I did use Keto for the first 25 lbs. but was concerned about the fat levels and my liver enzymes.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Everyone is giving you very vague information. I am a certified personal trainer with a bachelors degree in kinesiology. I would not advise you to start the keto diet at all. That diet isn't for everyone and it isn't sustainable in the long run. If you are looking for a professionals help with how to implement the right exercises and nutrition guidance to reach your goals then I can help you out.

Don't listen to everything you read on the internet, there's a lot of incorrect information out there.

25 minutes ago, ptperspective said:

Everyone is giving you very vague information. I am a certified personal trainer with a bachelors degree in kinesiology. I would not advise you to start the keto diet at all. That diet isn't for everyone and it isn't sustainable in the long run. If you are looking for a professionals help with how to implement the right exercises and nutrition guidance to reach your goals then I can help you out.

Don't listen to everything you read on the internet, there's a lot of incorrect information out there.

Says the guy posting on the internet....haha. Sorry, I had to.  But seriously, I agree with you on keto.

Edited by TN94z

Bryan A
"Your desire to change must be greater than your desire to stay the same"

The main way that the keto diet works for people who follow it, honestly, is that it's cutting out most of the calorie dense things that people would probably otherwise eat (such as pasta,rice, potatoes, bread, soda, and candy). If you get rid of calorie dense foods it's easier to maintain a calorie deficit, which is what ultimately leads to weight loss.

The same effects can be achieved if you just count calories, because in the end that's what it all comes down to. Some people need more of them and some people need fewer, due to various reasons, but if you consume less than you spend you will always lose weight - even if you eat like garbage.

If you just take it easy with the calorie dense foods like pretzel mentioned get 20-30 minutes of exercise a day (a brisk walk, run, yoga, whatever) the weight will come off. I have a pretty mediocre diet health wise but still maintain a healthy weight and shape because i walk everytime i play golf, do yoga and try to get in at least a 20 minute walk every day.  

On 6/11/2018 at 2:48 AM, adampaul said:

Hello Everyone,

I need some suggestion on the lean body. Actually, I was doing gym for 2 years because of some personal reasons I haven't gone to the Gym for 6 to 8 months. Now my body fat increase and muscle level decrease also my face got round. So, Guys please help me to get the leaner body. 

Thanks

Over the past year I dropped 40 pounds from 227 down to 187 and still dropping.

Better diet, lots of veggies...low salt.

Low carb and high protein.

:ping:  :tmade:  :callaway:   :gamegolf:  :titleist:

TM White Smoke Big Fontana; Pro-V1
TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56
Ping i20 irons U-4, CFS300
Callaway XR16 9 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S
Callaway XR16 3W 15 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S, X2Hot Pro 20 degrees S

"I'm hitting the woods just great, but I'm having a terrible time getting out of them." ~Harry Toscano

Note: This thread is 1983 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!