IGNORED

NHL 2018-19

iacas
Note: This thread is 1770 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

• Administrator

Free agency starts in only about two weeks…

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

35 minutes ago, Warren Zevon said:

Hopefully Ovi is still partying by then!

You know he will be.

Bill

“By three methods we may learn wisdom: First, by reflection, which is noblest; Second, by imitation, which is easiest; and third by experience, which is the bitterest.” - Confucius

My Swing Thread

Wow, Ottawa, obviously negotiating from behind the eight ball, really took one up the bum from San Jose.  They should have just traded Hoffman straight to florida.  

Corey

57 minutes ago, Warren Zevon said:

Wow, Ottawa, obviously negotiating from behind the eight ball, really took one up the bum from San Jose.  They should have just traded Hoffman straight to florida.  

It's close to being Hoffman for Boedker straight up, right? I'm guessing Ottawa needed an NHL player to fill the vacancy, because San Jose got a much better return for Hoffman than Ottawa did.

The drama in Ottawa isn't over, either. They need to give Colorado their 1st round draft pick in either this year or next year's draft as part of the Matt Duchene trade. This year they hold the 4th overall pick, but next year, considering the direction the team is heading, could end up being 1st overall. Fun times as long as you're not a Senators fan.

Bill

“By three methods we may learn wisdom: First, by reflection, which is noblest; Second, by imitation, which is easiest; and third by experience, which is the bitterest.” - Confucius

My Swing Thread

3 hours ago, billchao said:

It's close to being Hoffman for Boedker straight up, right? I'm guessing Ottawa needed an NHL player to fill the vacancy, because San Jose got a much better return for Hoffman than Ottawa did.

The drama in Ottawa isn't over, either. They need to give Colorado their 1st round draft pick in either this year or next year's draft as part of the Matt Duchene trade. This year they hold the 4th overall pick, but next year, considering the direction the team is heading, could end up being 1st overall. Fun times as long as you're not a Senators fan.

Both teams swapped minor league players and late round draft picks, so pretty much.  But seeing Boedkers’ production they might as well have went for Florida’s picks instead.   It would have left them a lot of cap space to back the truck up for the EK contract.  

And i agree, I really feel for Senators fans right now.  

Edit:  Florida snagged him for picks in the 2nd, 4th and 7th round.   Not a great return for San Jose, either.  Hoffman’s name is obviously mud right now.  

Edited by Warren Zevon

Corey

3 hours ago, Warren Zevon said:

Both teams swapped minor league players and late round draft picks, so pretty much.  But seeing Boedkers’ production they might as well have went for Florida’s picks instead.   It would have left them a lot of cap space to back the truck up for the EK contract.

I really think Ottawa needed a roster player to fill the void or they would have traded him to Florida for picks.

The second half of that is if management doesn't demonstrate some ability to turn the team around and become competitive in the near future, Karlsson has very little incentive to re-sign with Ottawa. That guy is going to get a massive contract from whatever team he ultimately signs with.

3 hours ago, Warren Zevon said:

Florida snagged him for picks in the 2nd, 4th and 7th round.   Not a great return for San Jose, either.  Hoffman’s name is obviously mud right now.

Florida traded this year's 4th and 5th plus next year's 2nd (FL traded this year's 2nd to NJ to offload Marc Savard's contract two years ago) for Hoffman and this year's 7th. Next year's 2nd is less valuable than this year's 2nd, but it's still basically a 2nd and a 4th for Hoffman (if you consider SJ moving upgrading their 7th for a 5th as the price difference for the 2nd being for next year). I'd say Hoffman is comparable to Marcus Johansson (maybe slightly more productive than, even) who NJ picked up last year for a 2nd and 3rd this year, so for SJ to pick up a 2nd and 4th this year is pretty much fair value.

Plus you have to consider that SJ just got rid of Boedker's contract and picked up a couple of decent picks along the way; they made out very well in this series of deals. Boedker was not going to fetch a 2nd and a 4th from anybody (maybe Edmonton? :-P) but essentially that's what they turned him into.

Bill

My Swing Thread

• 2 weeks later...

Gotta feel for Islander fans today.  Must be tough to watch your franchise center walk away with absolutely nothing coming back.

At least the Islanders can retire Butch Gorings' number 91 now.

Corey

The Red Wings got some good draft help.   Maybe this year they will be competitive.  

From the land of perpetual cloudiness.   I'm Denny

1 hour ago, Warren Zevon said:

Gotta feel for Islander fans today.  Must be tough to watch your franchise center walk away with absolutely nothing coming back.

Sucks to be them. I have no idea what that feels like. Scott Niedermayer was a defenseman, Zach Parise and Ilya Kovalchuk are both wingers :-P

The first day of free agency has been kind of boring..

Bill

My Swing Thread

4 hours ago, billchao said:

Sucks to be them. I have no idea what that feels like. Scott Niedermayer was a defenseman, Zach Parise and Ilya Kovalchuk are both wingers :-P

The first day of free agency has been kind of boring..

What do all three of those players have in common with John Tavares aside from walking away from the teams that drafted them?

Lou Lamoriello.

And speaking of Kovalchuk,   I still think his ‘retirement’ was a joke.  The fact that he’s playing in the league again makes me hope LA flops this season, although I doubt that’ll happen.  

Edited by Warren Zevon

Corey

12 hours ago, Warren Zevon said:

What do all three of those players have in common with John Tavares aside from walking away from the teams that drafted them?

Reveal hidden contents

Not really sure what Lou has to do with Tavares. Presumably they barely know each other.

But yes, it's widely documented that he mishandled the Niedermayer and Parise situations (and Scott Gomez, but he wasn't exactly at the same talent level).

12 hours ago, Warren Zevon said:

And speaking of Kovalchuk,   I still think his ‘retirement’ was a joke.  The fact that he’s playing in the league again makes me hope LA flops this season, although I doubt that’ll happen. 

Kovalchuk's retirement is an order of magnitude less ridiculous than Pronger's or Hossa's situations. But those guys were playing for the right teams... Kovalchuk did give up 5 years of NHL eligibility. 

LA is going to flop because they keep getting older and slower.

https://nypost.com/2018/07/02/bulls-t-john-tortorella-explodes-over-ex-players-backhand-slap/

This is too funny not to share.

Bill

My Swing Thread

• Administrator
36 minutes ago, billchao said:

Kovalchuk's retirement is an order of magnitude less ridiculous than Pronger's or Hossa's situations.

Pronger especially. He was working for the league during the time he was still being paid by the Flyers.

36 minutes ago, billchao said:

Torts is such a class act… 🤦🏼‍♂️

Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Torts doesn't know the meaning of turn the other cheek, but the comments from the Pittsburgh GM were out of line.

More significantly, I'm surprised Pittsburgh would commit to a player like Jack Johnson. I've seen a bunch of this guy in recent years. The reason he was a healthy scratch at points last year is simple. He isn't that good any more.. 

• Administrator
Just now, mcanadiens said:

Torts doesn't know the meaning of turn the other cheek, but the comments from the Pittsburgh GM were out of line.

Ha ha ha. No. They were not. Tortorella has a looooooong history of screwing with and driving away good players. Benching them for shit.

And all JJ said was "I'm looking forward to being a part of a winning environment." CBJ can't take offense to that. They haven't won a playoff series… ever.

1 minute ago, mcanadiens said:

More significantly, I'm surprised Pittsburgh would commit to a player like Jack Johnson. I've seen a bunch of this guy in recent years. The reason he was a healthy scratch at points last year is simple. He isn't that good any more.

He never was very good. Except in going third overall. We'll see. He's a bottom four guy who will have sheltered minutes and not be playing for John Tortorella. He'll be with his old buddy Sid, and should regain some confidence. Oleksiak, Daley, Schultz… the Pens do pretty well lately with reclaimed defensemen. Still, I'm not holding out hope that he'll be a star or anything. Something "passable" is all I can ask for.

57 minutes ago, iacas said:

He never was very good. 

This. He was always over-rated for some reason.

Bill

My Swing Thread

• 2 months later...

Can you smell it?   The regular season is right around the corner.   There’s a box draft I enter every year and this time around I can select McDavid, Crosby, and Ovechin with my first three picks.

But then again, so can everyone else...🤨

Corey

Note: This thread is 1770 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!