IGNORED

What's your biggest problem in golf?

fredwest
Note: This thread is 2054 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Bringing it from the range to the course.

Sucks buttering clubs 3 feet from the flags at the range and then shanking a Par3 iron i was just hitting really well at the range.

• Like 1

Lack of talent. 

Seriously, I think I spent 2+ years figuring (still) out how to shallow the club, gifted folks have that figured out straight away.

Steve

Kill slow play. Allow walking. Reduce ineffective golf instruction. Use environmentally friendly course maintenance.

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I will also go with inconsistency.  Right now I am losing a ton of strokes with my short game.  A couple of weeks ago I couldn't keep a drive in the fairway.  I did not take up the game until I was 40 years old and 26 years later it is still a struggle, but I enjoy every minute of it. 

Driver for sure. I have a fade, (not a slice) that ends me up in the rough just off the fairway. I do aim toward the left side of the fairway and occasionally hit the dreaded straight ball, then I am in the left rough. I have tried everything to straighten my ball flight out but..... A lot of times, especially on tight fairways, I use my 3W given I hit it just a little shorter than my driver, and straight. But I would like to hit the big stick consistently.

Myself.  Finally understanding the areas that need improvement in my golf swing and the work it takes to get better have me trending the right direction for the first time in awhile. 

On a more technical note., my approach game is where I lose the most strokes to par (shocker), though putting was a glaring weakness of mine. However, with Aimpoint express and lots of speed putting practice I have gotten tremendously better in that area. 

For now, off the green inside 50 yards. Glaring weakness!

D: Ping G25 Stock S Shaft
3W: Titleist 915F 16.5* Diamana S70 Blue Stiff
3H, 4H: Callaway XR Project X LZ 6.0
5i-PW: Mizuno MP54 Project X 5.5 Shafts
52*, 58*: Mizuno JPX Wedge TT Dynalite Gold AP
Putter: Mizuno MP A306

23 hours ago, Grizvok said:

Putting putting putting. I’m 2.5-3 years into my golf journey and consistently shooting in the low 90’s but would easily be shooting in the mid 80’s basically automatically if my putting went from the current state of absolutely abysmal to just bad.

The amount of strokes gained on the green is incredible.

And honestly the biggest problem is practice. I have a range (no putting area whatsoever) literally 3 minutes from me so it isn’t a big time investment to go out and practice full swing and chipping/pitching mechanics. However, I just don’t have a spot that’s super close that I can pop over to to practice putting on a regular basis. Essentially the only putting practice I get is during actual rounds and that isn’t practice at all. I know I’ve got to remedy that to take my game to the next level though.

Why not just go to a local course and putt on their practice green? I do that all the time around here. The range I go to occasionally has a "putting" green, but it's artificial and I don't like it. So, when I'm in a mood to hit some putts I just drive to Mill Creek and hit their putting green.

2 hours ago, cooke119 said:

Driver for sure. I have a fade, (not a slice) that ends me up in the rough just off the fairway. I do aim toward the left side of the fairway and occasionally hit the dreaded straight ball, then I am in the left rough. I have tried everything to straighten my ball flight out but..... A lot of times, especially on tight fairways, I use my 3W given I hit it just a little shorter than my driver, and straight. But I would like to hit the big stick consistently.

Maybe just learn to play the fade. Lots of pros do that. If it's a tight fairway, tee up on the right hand side of the tee to give yourself more room.

1 hour ago, Buckeyebowman said:

Why not just go to a local course and putt on their practice green? I do that all the time around here. The range I go to occasionally has a "putting" green, but it's artificial and I don't like it. So, when I'm in a mood to hit some putts I just drive to Mill Creek and hit their putting green.

Maybe just learn to play the fade. Lots of pros do that. If it's a tight fairway, tee up on the right hand side of the tee to give yourself more room.

That's absolutely what I have to do and I know it. I think I enjoy working on my full swing mechanics a lot so I always just head to the range instead of taking the extra 4-5 minutes to drive to the local course to putt. I really just need to suck it up and start putting a hell of a lot more.

As time has gone on, it seems clear that I have a very bad sense of balance. That manifests itself in my golf swing, which is a highly flawed thing to begin with, and nowhere worse than when I try to hit driver.

Now on normal day-to-day stuff, it's good enough. It's not like I'm falling down stairs, but there are some days where my equilibrium just isn't there. It makes hitting a golf ball damn near impossible.  

Putting and reversing the effects of goat humping for 30 years.

Jim Morgan

Driver: :callaway: GBB Epic Speed 10.5 deg Reg
Woods: 3W :callaway: Epic Flash 15 deg, Heavenwood:callaway:GBB 20 deg
4 Hybrid: :callaway:  Epic Flash 21 deg, 5 Hybird: :callaway: Apex 24 deg
Irons: :ping: G425 Graphite 6-SW, Wedges: :ping: Glide 58 deg
Putter: :bettinardi: Armlock  :aimpoint: Express
 :titleist: golf bag, Blue Tees RF

This year? Motivation. I seem to have lost all motivation to play outside of league night with my father. I'll think about going to the range, even plan on it, but once it comes time to leave work I just go home instead. I don't know why. It seems so strange to not have that drive to go out and play/practice nearly every day.

KICK THE FLIP!!

In the bag:
:srixon: Z355

:callaway: XR16 3 Wood
:tmade: Aeroburner 19* 3 hybrid
:ping: I e1 irons 4-PW
:vokey: SM5 50, 60
:wilsonstaff: Harmonized Sole Grind 56 and Windy City Putter

I sometimes get lazy with my green side short game and it costs me strokes. Its more of a mental thing than a mechanical one. I sometimes don't pay enough attention to line and speed the way i should and just whack the ball at the hole and end up having to make 5-6-7 footers for par.. 

20 yards and in off the green, i really should be getting that up and down at least half of the time. But the last two years it seems like maybe i get 1 of 3 up and in during a average round. Saving those pars from missed greens is usually the difference between a 75 and a 70 for me. 

Putting.

-- Daniel

In my bag: :callaway: Paradym :callaway: Epic Flash 3.5W (16 degrees)

:callaway: Rogue Pro 3-PW :edel: SMS Wedges - V-Grind (48, 54, 58):edel: Putter

:aimpoint:

Before updating from my Callaway GBB to my current Razr driver, I would have answered driving the ball; not so much distance but rather not being in the fairway or first cut.  Way too much scrambling.  Since changing and getting time with the new technology, it's lowered my scoring by about 5 strokes.  I've probably picked up about 20-30 yards in distance but more importantly no longer trying to get out of jail.

I'd say my biggest challenge now is short distance chipping 20 yards and closer.  Some years back I started using my 7 iron for bump and run to the flag and got pretty good at it, more reliable than lob wedge, but more recently it's been inconsistent.  I do practice this shot but find that it's much easier to repeat and group a bunch of balls on the practice chipping greens than replicate on the course.  But that seems true about practice hitting in general - much easier to find a groove from one location than it is out on the course.

All that said, my "biggest challenge" seems to change with lunar positions; lights out with approaches one week, can't putt to save my life the next.  Game Out Laugh Frequently.

Callaway Razr-Fit 8.5 Driver | Callaway GBB Warbird 3W | PingEye 2 Irons (2-PW) | McGregor Jack Nicklaus SW | Ping B61 Putter

Inconsistency.

Shot a 90 this past Saturday.  16 putts on the front, 20 on the back, included a 3 putt and a 4 putt.

Front 9 57% GIR, Back 9 86% GIR.

I'd love to be able to putt together a good round of ALL 18 holes.

To be long and straight at the same time with my driver it´s my biggest problem.
I´m really accurate hitting a high fade/slice into a fairway, but it just carry 240 and rolls 10 more yards.
But hitting a normal draw, carry 260 and roll 20 more yards, that´s a 30 yard gain but all over the place.

I´m working on it because that 30 yards it´s almost 2 stroke gained over 18 holes.
Distance matters a lot, but it´s worthless if you are not accurate. 

Green-side chipping.  Anything closer than 20 yards and I'm a mess.  A big part of that is mental because I'm much better on the range / practicing. I lose way too many strokes this way.

About 25 rounds into the golf season this year and have noticed an alarming trend of "line drives" off the tee with my driver.  Not sure what is going on, but I can't hit a ball with my driver that gets more than 40 feet up in the air.  

For an experiment yesterday every time I hit driver off the tee, I hit my 3 wood as well.  I am outdriving myself probably an average of 30 yards with the 3.  Higher and better trajectory resulting in more carry, not sure what changed from last season.

In my bag: All Lefty clubs
Goldsmith driver I built 10 degree reg flex, Orlimar 14 degree 3 wood, 7 wood
Cobra Oversize 3 and 4 iron; Gigagolf Ion Control 5 iron through PW firm flex and 1 inch over with 3 degrees upright
Golfsmith SW that I built, steel shaft reg flex, Cleveland Tour Action Raw 60 with dynamic golf stiff
Scotty Cameron Teryllium Newport putter

Note: This thread is 2054 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!