IGNORED

What's your biggest problem in golf?

fredwest
Note: This thread is 2054 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Hi everyone, 

I'm just wondering what everyone finds to be their biggest problem with their game?

Mine's my chipping but I know a lot of people would say putting.

Be interesting to find out.

6 inches between my ears. 

Its amazing how much my game is influenced by confidence. 

• Like 3
  • Thumbs Up 1

Don

:titleist: 910 D2, 8.5˚, Adila RIP 60 S-Flex
:titleist: 980F 15˚
:yonex: EZone Blades (3-PW) Dynamic Gold S-200
:vokey:   Vokey wedges, 52˚; 56˚; and 60˚
:scotty_cameron:  2014 Scotty Cameron Select Newport 2

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Fairway bunker shots; anywhere from 200 yds down to 100 yds

Carry on my wayward drive

There'll be pars when you are done

Lay your weary wedge to rest

Don't you shank no more 

Confidence. By far. 

:ping: G25 Driver Stiff :ping: G20 3W, 5W :ping: S55 4-W (aerotech steel fiber 110g shafts) :ping: Tour Wedges 50*, 54*, 58* :nike: Method Putter Floating clubs: :edel: 54* trapper wedge

My biggest problem is inconsistency with my training. I hit some sort of golf ball everyday. Some days it may be a foam golfball in the yard other days it will be range balls. I am very inconsistant about trying to tackle one swing fault at a time. One day I may work on not over swinging at the top and the next day I may decide my swing inconsistencies come from not shifting my weight.   I’m always working different areas of the swing versus focusing my improvements on one particular area. I know it’s a fault of mine but can’t seem to make myself focus. 

Distance, pure and simple. I ain't got it anymore to shoot near par. 

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Upvote 1

In My Bag:
A whole bunch of Tour Edge golf stuff...... :beer:

hitting my driver........  not going to lie..... on the driving range i hit the ball pretty good, not Keyboard Cowboy 300+ yards, but 250 yards, not always straight either.... but i can get into a groove and stripe the ball..... 

when i get on the course... its like i've never used a driver before in my life....   if i could ever hit the driver on the course like i do on the driving range..... i could shoot some low scores..

It is what it is

3 hours ago, David L Yskes said:

hitting my driver........ 

Driver was my worst club until a little over a year ago. I finally got fitted for a full set. The driver I had was Nike junk that I had cut down an inch or so. I usually left it in the bag. I still managed to shoot fairly decent scores (averaged just under 81). I have a Ping G30, which was only $249 at the time and I got a custom shaft based on trackman spin numbers. 

The face is nice and big. I pick a target 3 to 10 feet in front of the ball and focus on hitting the ball over it. It might be a leaf or a discoloration in the grass on the tee. I find that when I do hit a really bad shot it is often because I momentarily lost focus on that target. The ball generally then goes right of target.

At the range I will often hit driver to pins at 100 and 150 yards with a partial swing to get the feeling of hitting to a target. If you can't hit a driver consistently to a 100 yard target, how would you expect to hit it say 250 and keep it in the fairway? These things have helped me make the driver one of the stronger parts of my game.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Carl3 said:

At the range I will often hit driver to pins at 100 and 150 yards with a partial swing to get the feeling of hitting to a target. If you can't hit a driver consistently to a 100 yard target, how would you expect to hit it say 250 and keep it in the fairway? These things have helped me make the driver one of the stronger parts of my game.

I really like this post. Thank you for your contribution, Carl. Will be trying this later today when I go out to the driving range. 🙂

Like the other posters here, my biggest issue is the mental part/side of golf. For example, I couldn't drive to save my life last week (and the week before), but made it up with my iron play. These last few days, my driving has been great, which has caused me to get anxious on my 2nd shot. Because of the anxiety, my iron play has suffered. 😕 Again, mental.

My chipping/pitching game improved drastically over night. I literally went from not knowing how to do it, to waking up the next day knowing how. Still not quite sure what happened.

Putting ... well, I'm generally good from 7 or so feet in. Outside of that, I need practice. And lots of it lol. Have issues with speed. 

• Like 1

" No one succeeds without effort... Those who succeed owe their success to perseverance.

Let come what comes, let go what goes. See what remains. "

- RM

10 hours ago, Patch said:

Distance, pure and simple. I ain't got it anymore to shoot near par. 

Yeah, age, injuries, old bones have cost me distance, though I am good about keeping it in the fairway.. So I work on driver, long second shots (have 3,4,5 DIR hybrids) and approach shots with irons. Chipping and putting are pretty good. LSW helps me develop an effective practice routine using what I have. Good topic. Thanks, -Marv

• Upvote 1

DRIVER: Cleveland 588 Altitude ( Matrix Radix Sv Graphite, A) IRONS: Mizuno JPX-800 HD Irons & 3,4,5 JPX Fli-Hi (Grafalloy Prolaunch Blue Graphite, R); WEDGES: (Carried as needed) Artisan Golf 46, 50, 53, 56 low bounce, 56 high bounce; PUTTER: Mizuno TP Mills 9

Used to be my driver, but I have worked really hard to get it right.  It is starting to pay off.  Now all of a sudden after working on weight shift to front foot Sk2, I am shanking my irons.  Iron play was my best most consistent part of the game,but as of last week they are killing my scores.  I don't know what happened and now have some work to do.  My driver has been really good for a few weeks now and is a strong part of my game.  

Tempo and tension. My tempo will speed up and I don't always feel it. 

"My ball is on top of a rock in the hazard, do I get some sort of relief?"

13 hours ago, Carl3 said:

Driver was my worst club until a little over a year ago. I finally got fitted for a full set. The driver I had was Nike junk that I had cut down an inch or so. I usually left it in the bag. I still managed to shoot fairly decent scores (averaged just under 81). I have a Ping G30, which was only $249 at the time and I got a custom shaft based on trackman spin numbers. 

The face is nice and big. I pick a target 3 to 10 feet in front of the ball and focus on hitting the ball over it. It might be a leaf or a discoloration in the grass on the tee. I find that when I do hit a really bad shot it is often because I momentarily lost focus on that target. The ball generally then goes right of target.

I too hit driver, 3, 5, & 7 at the 120-150 markers on the DR. I hit them all their normal distances. I just use the intermediate markers to see if my ball flights are staying on, or least close to those target lines. 

Sometimes at our DR, if the sun is in the wrong spot, I can't see where my longer shots land. 

In My Bag:
A whole bunch of Tour Edge golf stuff...... :beer:

Inconsistency

On any given day I can and have shot anywhere from 74 to 104, sometimes within a week of each other. It doesn't help that I don't like to practice. I like to play, but hitting a even a medium size bucket of balls on a driving range bores me. 

So, I guess I'm doomed.

Driver, 3W & 4 Hybrid: 2023 :titleist: TSR3 
Irons: 2020 :titleist: T300
Wedges: 2012 :callaway: XTour 56o & 2021 Jaws 60o

Putter: :odyssey: Marxman (Mallet) / :tmade: Juno (Blade) plus 7 or 8 others in a barrel in my basement

Memory.  I remember everything.  Some bad shots are so ingrained that I can hit them in my sleep...or while trying to do the exact opposite.  A steel-trap memory is both a blessing and a curse...not a double-edged sword...more like a double-edged 7 iron.

In der bag:
Cleveland Hi-Bore driver, Maltby 5 wood, Maltby hybrid, Maltby irons and wedges (23 to 50) Vokey 59/07, Cleveland Niblick (LH-42), and a Maltby mallet putter.                                                                                                                                                 "When the going gets tough...it's tough to get going."

My problem with golf is two-fold. Part one is growing older, Part two is having a memory. A memory of how I used to be able to play! Sometimes reality is a hard pill to swallow.

Played a course Friday where the 18th is a par 4, uphill, of 410 yards from the Senior tees! I hit maybe my best drive of the day and had 190 in. A pretty well struck 3 wood came up just short.

I've lost significant distance in just the last 2 years. I've been working on flexibility and strength to try to keep from losing any more. No more playing the white tees for me!

Putting putting putting. I’m 2.5-3 years into my golf journey and consistently shooting in the low 90’s but would easily be shooting in the mid 80’s basically automatically if my putting went from the current state of absolutely abysmal to just bad.

The amount of strokes gained on the green is incredible.

And honestly the biggest problem is practice. I have a range (no putting area whatsoever) literally 3 minutes from me so it isn’t a big time investment to go out and practice full swing and chipping/pitching mechanics. However, I just don’t have a spot that’s super close that I can pop over to to practice putting on a regular basis. Essentially the only putting practice I get is during actual rounds and that isn’t practice at all. I know I’ve got to remedy that to take my game to the next level though.

Note: This thread is 2054 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!