IGNORED

Phil Mickelson Rule

fishgolf
Note: This thread is 2080 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Phil Mickelson Rule  

43 members have voted

1. 1. Should the rules be changed to result in DQ for stroking, deflecting, or stopping a ball whose motion was clearly caused by the player?

• yes
    • no

In light of the Phil Mickelson "event" at the U.S Open, should the rules be changed resulting in a disqualification?  It's clear from the thread/discussion on the "Tour" forum that many feel only getting a two stroke penalty is unjust and unfair to other players.  It's very clear that Phil set the ball in motion and also hit the ball in motion.  It's also clear that it was done to prevent the ball from travelling to its likely point of rest.  We're not talking about a ball moving from an earthquake, blade of grass flexing below it, wind, etc. - but rather deliberate action on the part of the player. 

Callaway Razr-Fit 8.5 Driver | Callaway GBB Warbird 3W | PingEye 2 Irons (2-PW) | McGregor Jack Nicklaus SW | Ping B61 Putter

I'm sure the powers that be will take it under serious consideration.

Carry on my wayward drive

There'll be pars when you are done

Lay your weary wedge to rest

Don't you shank no more 

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I think ‘intentionally’ needs to be there. If another player gets hit by a moving ball he is clearly the cause of the deflection but certainly doesn’t warrant DQ. Basically I’m trying to exclude moments of clutziness that may not occur on the tour but happens on munis. 

I hope I didn’t complicate this. I do think that if a player intentionally breaks a rule with the hopes of gaining advantage..DQ.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

:ping: G25 Driver Stiff :ping: G20 3W, 5W :ping: S55 4-W (aerotech steel fiber 110g shafts) :ping: Tour Wedges 50*, 54*, 58* :nike: Method Putter Floating clubs: :edel: 54* trapper wedge

I voted "no" because PM has already got away with not being DQ'd. Why DQ someone else after the fact?

Now, if other players start using what PM did, on a semi regular basis, to possibly save themselves strokes, then I probably would change my current opinion. 

In My Bag:
A whole bunch of Tour Edge golf stuff...... :beer:

1 minute ago, Patch said:

I voted "no" because PM has already got away with not being DQ'd. Why DQ someone else after the fact?

Now, if other players start using what PM did, on a semi regular basis, to possibly save themselves strokes, then I probably would change my current opinion. 

Yeah ..kinda like..’back stopping.?

:ping: G25 Driver Stiff :ping: G20 3W, 5W :ping: S55 4-W (aerotech steel fiber 110g shafts) :ping: Tour Wedges 50*, 54*, 58* :nike: Method Putter Floating clubs: :edel: 54* trapper wedge

Yes, I think so. I think they can just add to Rule 14-5 that a serious breach will result in disqualification, like there is in Rule 20-7. Pretty simple fix.

• Like 1

-- Daniel

In my bag: :callaway: Paradym :callaway: Epic Flash 3.5W (16 degrees)

:callaway: Rogue Pro 3-PW :edel: SMS Wedges - V-Grind (48, 54, 58):edel: Putter

:aimpoint:

No, the rules have this covered, they can decide whether it's a 14-5 or a 33-7. I think 33-7 is more appropriate than 1-2. 

In the PM case, I think a warning under 33-7 and 2 strokes under 14-5 is reasonable, just as Dq under 33-7 would have been too. I lean towards a warning & 2 stroke penalty because I think he only harmed himself in the protest, but I respect the view others have expressed that it was serious enough for Dq too. Either way, they considered Dq and decided against, so I don't see why amendments are needed. 

@fishgolf , I don't really get why this is unfair to other competitors, he gained no advantage, and regardless of where the ball ended up, he'd have been better off taking an unplayable than doing what he did. What he did cost him strokes to the benefit of other players. 

8 hours ago, DeadMan said:

Yes, I think so. I think they can just add to Rule 14-5 that a serious breach will result in disqualification, like there is in Rule 20-7. Pretty simple fix.

Agree. Phil had clear intent. Revise the rule to state that clear intent should result in a DQ. To me, it is similar to improving your lie when no one is watching and trying to get away with it. 

The out is already in the rules with the "unplayable" provision. There was no need for PM to do this.

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

I voted no for two reasons.

1. Rule 33-7 already says "If a Committee considers that a player is guilty of a serious breach of etiquette, it may impose a penalty of disqualification under this Rule." so the rules already support DQ'ing. In my opinion, the USGA didn't DQ Phil because he's a fan favorite and knew they'd get worse press for the DQ than if they just said "nope, 14-5 applies here."
  2. The powers-that-be need to stop quickly adding/changing rules in the aftermath of a controversial/high-profile events.

• Upvote 1

"No man goes round boasting of his vices,” he said, “except golfers." 

-- Det. Elk in The Twister by Edgar Wallace

11 hours ago, Vinsk said:

I think ‘intentionally’ needs to be there. If another player gets hit by a moving ball he is clearly the cause of the deflection but certainly doesn’t warrant DQ. Basically I’m trying to exclude moments of clutziness that may not occur on the tour but happens on munis. 

I hope I didn’t complicate this. I do think that if a player intentionally breaks a rule with the hopes of gaining advantage..DQ.

(the title of the thread was essentially affecting your own ball, not another's....but I'd rather consider any ball in motion as you did here)

I agree with what you mean, but I'd want to remove "intent" from any rule.  The list of exceptions should be very specific rather than put in an intent statement in the basic rule.  They already include exceptions for double hit, ball falling from tee, etc...

Edited by rehmwa

Bill - 

I voted no because, as people have noted in this thread and in the other, the Rules seem to already allow for him to be DQ'd.

• Upvote 1

In my bag:

Driver: Titleist TSi3 | 15º 3-Wood: Ping G410 | 17º 2-Hybrid: Ping G410 | 19º 3-Iron: TaylorMade GAPR Lo |4-PW Irons: Nike VR Pro Combo | 54º SW, 60º LW: Titleist Vokey SM8 | Putter: Odyssey Toulon Las Vegas H7

• Administrator
1 hour ago, krupa said:

The powers-that-be need to stop quickly adding/changing rules in the aftermath of a controversial/high-profile events.

That’s a good time to do it when they highlight a hole in the Rules.

1 hour ago, Groucho Valentine said:

No. I don't think you should get into legislating whats in a players head.

Phil’s actions didn’t require mind reading.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

1 hour ago, krupa said:

I voted no for two reasons.

1. Rule 33-7 already says "If a Committee considers that a player is guilty of a serious breach of etiquette, it may impose a penalty of disqualification under this Rule." so the rules already support DQ'ing. In my opinion, the USGA didn't DQ Phil because he's a fan favorite and knew they'd get worse press for the DQ than if they just said "nope, 14-5 applies here."
  2. The powers-that-be need to stop quickly adding/changing rules in the aftermath of a controversial/high-profile events.

1. I guess we have established that the application of the current rule will not be applied fairly to all players. Purposefully hitting your ball while it is still in motion due to a stroke should have a pretty cut and dry penalty.

2. No, now would be a great time to change it.

9 minutes ago, iacas said:

That’s a good time to do it when they highlight a hole in the Rules.

True but my argument against that is in the immediate aftermath of a high-profile infraction (e.g., DJ's accidental ball movement a couple years back) do they have the correct perspective to make the best change?

2 minutes ago, krupa said:

True but my argument against that is in the immediate aftermath of a high-profile infraction (e.g., DJ's accidental ball movement a couple years back) do they have the correct perspective to make the best change?

In Phil's case, yes.

36 minutes ago, FlappyGilmore said:

1. I guess we have established that the application of the current rule will not be applied fairly to all players. Purposefully hitting your ball while it is still in motion due to a stroke should have a pretty cut and dry penalty.

There are clearly defined penalties for 1-2 and 14-5 (the two rules that could have applied to Phil). In my opinion, purposefully breaking any rule is a breach of etiquette and we don't need a new rule to address that.

37 minutes ago, FlappyGilmore said:

In Phil's case, yes.

I disagree. There is enough being made about this in the press and social media that I don't believe the rules-makers wouldn't be influenced by it all.

Document it now and work it into the next rules-review cycle.

21 minutes ago, krupa said:

There are clearly defined penalties for 1-2 and 14-5 (the two rules that could have applied to Phil). In my opinion, purposefully breaking any rule is a breach of etiquette and we don't need a new rule to address that.

I disagree. There is enough being made about this in the press and social media that I don't believe the rules-makers wouldn't be influenced by it all.

Document it now and work it into the next rules-review cycle.

I feel that clear documentation in the form of words is needed. Simply having a verbally passed down policy, "When x occurs apply y." is not enough. There needs to be plain language defining the exact penalty. Having a ruling be at the mercy of the official at hand it not sufficient. It is either a 2 stroke penalty or a DQ, a rules official should not be relied upon to decide.

I disagree about you disagreeing. You can look a the situation without the input of the media by asking simple questions:

1. Is what Phil did against the spirit of how the game should be played?

3. What should the penalty be for committing those actions?

Note: This thread is 2080 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!