jimnm

How many holes/rounds do you keep a ball in play?

How long to you keep a ball in play?  

57 members have voted

1. 1. How long to you keep a ball in play?

• Multiple holes.
    • Multiple rounds.
    • Use it 'til you lose it.

24 posts / 2631 viewsLast Reply

How long do you use the same ball for? Multiple holes? Multiple Rounds? Use it till you lose it?

I used to lose multiple balls a round. But that is becoming less frequent. I realized today I have a ball that has been through 2 rounds. It has some minor scratches. I'll probably keep using it for now.

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Want to hide this ad? Register for free today!

I rarely use the same ball for more than 9 holes; it shows wear/damage after that many holes or i lose it.

18 holes is pretty much my max for using the same ball. That is, as long as the cover stays in good shape. 

After 18 holes,  it goes into my shag collection for use as a practice ball.

I actually like playing the same ball for 18 holes. That usually means I had good control of my game during that round, which also equates to a lower score.  

I have never completed 18 holes with one ball. The best I have done is two balls multiple times. Each time I broke 90...

Today’s balls? Until I lose it. Balata 100? 3 holes. Smiley on the cover by then.

So long as the cover isn’t cut I use it until I lose it typically.  Balls don’t wear out so just keep playing them unless you cut the cover or it gets scuffed really bad.  The balls I use though will get some good scuff marks on them as I hit down hard with my wedges.

I once kept a ball in play for 100 holes.  When I realized it, I took it out of play and marked it as such.

Now once a ball hits about 36 holes, I take it out of play and put it into the short game practice set.  Obviously I'd take it out earlier if it's sufficiently damaged that I think it'd affect my game, but... I'm not sure even a ball that's hit a tree and a cartpath or two is noticeably worse for me than a fresh out of the sleeve ball.

It's a combination of lose till I lose or multiple rounds. If I'd done 2 full rounds with a ball and not lost it - unlikely though that is - then I'd probably be thinking of retiring it to the garden unless it was still in perfect condition. Kept the same ball in play for my 18 holes yesterday, and will have no problem teeing off with it again tomorrow.

If it is not damaged, 36 holes is my max.

I play a couple of courses; one I usually lose a ball and the other I seldom lose one.

I don't hit the ball far enough to lose them, so it's not uncommon for me to play 18 holes with 1 ball!

Joking aside, it's mostly true.  I hit the ball really straight and keep it in play most of the time, but I'm not very long.  However, because I used to play a lot of unfamiliar courses, I would lose some on occasion.  

Typically, the ball I'm using when I hole out on 18 gets retired and thrown into the shag bag, whether I played all 18 holes with it or put it in play on the 18th tee.  I almost always start the next round with a new ball.  I have to admit the quality of the balls in my shag bag is pretty outstanding!

I use 'em till I lose 'em.  I'm at the level where it doesn't really matter what ball I use as I tend to lose a few each round.  I lost 3 in a 9-hole scramble last week.  I would like to get to the point where I can play one ball for a whole round or multiple rounds.  Although if I had one last a full 18 holes I might have to retire it to a trophy case. 😄

I’m working hard to get to the point I can use a ball multiple rounds but I’m currently at the point I use it until I lose it.  

I'll pull a ball out if it's scuffed up from hitting the cartpath or a tree (happens quite often), but for the most part I'll play a ball until I lose it.

I can't think of the last time I played a full round with a single ball TBH. Even when I don't take any penalties in a round, I'll end up losing a ball by hitting a bad tee shot and playing a provisional, only to lose the provisional ball somehow and end up finding my original ball.

On 6/20/2018 at 9:12 PM, Shindig said:

Now once a ball hits about 36 holes, I take it out of play and put it into the short game practice set.  Obviously I'd take it out earlier if it's sufficiently damaged that I think it'd affect my game, but... I'm not sure even a ball that's hit a tree and a cartpath or two is noticeably worse for me than a fresh out of the sleeve ball.

A ball tried to escape from me a few times yesterday as it was nearing its 36th hole.  On the 10th tee (its 28th), I thought I might have lost it, hit a provisional, and found the first one barely inbounds (but inbounds).  It behaved for a few holes, only to remind me on the 16th tee (its 34th) and the next two that I would not be scoring with it -- had to get up and down from not-even-near-GIR  for bogey all three holes.  As I put it back in the bag, I told it it has earned its retirement and will be part of chipping practice in the future.

I will usually lose 1-2 balls/round on my home course.   When I finish the round and if the ball I am playing is in good shape it goes back in the bag to play again.  

Too often Ill use it for just 1 swing 😭

Never played 18 with 1 ball. Generally about 2 lost per round. Although I've been up to 5-6 on a few rounds.