Vinsk

Is It Legal For DeChambeau To Use Compass/Protractor?

70 posts / 5817 viewsLast Reply

https://www.yahoo.com/newsroom/vibes/sports/v-5c839b50-00d3-37e8-a68f-7c03c48d7104_c-d2a9f896-1d8e-3817-b0e5-c39d3aa9dc6c_a-d2a9f896-1d8e-3817-b0e5-c39d3aa9dc6c?soc_src=newsroom&soc_trk=com.apple.UIKit.activity.CopyToPasteboard&.tsrc=newsroom

USGA is looking into BD’s use of a compass   during his rounds.

I guess some people enjoy his antics. I really just thInk he’s a clown. This doesn’t help. 

Edited by Vinsk

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Want to hide this ad? Register for free today!

Pretty sure this has been done before. And the decision was it was legal. I believe this was decided/changed in 2014 from the original thought that they violated 14-3. 

2 minutes ago, Asheville said:

The USGA isn't interested.

The "Tour" is.

Can't have a "clown" messsing with their "circus."

Lol. And yes, I meant to put Tour not USGA. I dunno....this guy just annoys me. ‘True pin placements?’ Come on....

I'm with you @Vinsk.  Something about the guy just annoys the crap out of me ... I'm sure it's in part the announcers fault, but I'm tired of hearing about what a whiz-kid he is, and how he plays "a different game of golf", blah, blah, blah.  He comes across arrogant as hell anytime I hear him speak, and frankly the cap bothers me. FWIW, I completely recognize how petty and shallow my opinions here are.

3 minutes ago, Eric C said:

FWIW, I completely recognize how petty and shallow my opinions here are.

Yeah, I had to conclude that when I was perturbed by him for no apparent reason, something was wrong with me. Then I enjoyed his golf play. Good post. -Marv

56 minutes ago, HJJ003 said:

Pretty sure this has been done before. And the decision was it was legal. I believe this was decided/changed in 2014 from the original thought that they violated 14-3. 

There was a decision, 14-3/4 that sounds like it was intended for the directional compass:

Q. A player uses a compass during a stipulated round to help determine the direction of the wind or the direction of the grain in the greens. Is the player in breach of Rule 14-3?

A. No. A compass only provides directional information and does not gauge or measure variable conditions or assist the player in his play.

Using the geometrical compass sounds like he's using a device to measure distance which, on the surface, sounds like a no-no.

A geometrical compass and a magnetic one are two different things. Using either one in a round of golf is a rabbit hole of meta nerdery one is sure to never to escape from. 

I guess my reaction to someone using a geometrical or magnetic compass during a round of play is.... ummm...ok...:-\ 

1 hour ago, Groucho Valentine said:

A geometrical compass and a magnetic one are two different things. Using either one in a round of golf is a rabbit hole of meta nerdery one is sure to never to escape from. 

To me the meta nerdery was the redeeming factor in this whole thing.

I have no issue at all what a player does (within the rules) to gather info to progress his game. (as long as pace of play is maintained, and how on earth do we even measure that with today's PGA)

It's like a bunch of little old church ladies in here sometimes.  (respect to Eric C for owning it)

Let's see what the rules committee 'random decision generator' figures out on this one.

4 hours ago, Vinsk said:

https://www.yahoo.com/newsroom/vibes/sports/v-5c839b50-00d3-37e8-a68f-7c03c48d7104_c-d2a9f896-1d8e-3817-b0e5-c39d3aa9dc6c_a-d2a9f896-1d8e-3817-b0e5-c39d3aa9dc6c?soc_src=newsroom&soc_trk=com.apple.UIKit.activity.CopyToPasteboard&.tsrc=newsroom

USGA is looking into BD’s use of a compass   during his rounds.

I guess some people enjoy his antics. I really just thInk he’s a clown. This doesn’t help. 

What else is in Bryson's bag? :-P

BC bag.jpg

I just find it ridiculous. He’s not ‘discovering’ anything the other guys with much better records aren’t. ‘Exact pin placement’ to what? The inch? He’s just an ass imo. It’s a waste of time and effort centered around some OCD regarding this game which is really more artistic than his obnoxious attempts to calculate it. He nor any other golfer is accurate enough for his calculations to matter. Not to the degree that a compass is necessary. 

I can't see how that type of compass can indicate direction.

It certainly can be used to measure or gauge distance.

5 minutes ago, boogielicious said:

What else is in Bryson's bag? :-P

BC bag.jpg

To think they said nothing about the abacus and slide rule...

abacus-640x319.JPG

indx01a.jpg

7 minutes ago, Rulesman said:

But it makes a pretty curved line to simulate break...

7 minutes ago, Rulesman said:

I can't see that it might be doing anything illegal.  You can draw lines in your yardage book, this is similar.  You can use a compass to establish a right angle (90*) to a line, to establish 60*, to do a few more things.  If its a two-pin thing, I think that's a divider, you can measure multiples of a known distance.  If he thinks that somehow he can mark the actual pin location more accurately on his green-reading book, and thus improve his read, perhaps he's right, but its not a special device to me.  

And if I understand the physics correctly, I think a putt would break more in accordance with  some kind of asymptotic curve, and a simple compass can't simulate that kind of curve.

3 hours ago, rehmwa said:

I have no issue at all what a player does (within the rules) to gather info to progress his game. (as long as pace of play is maintained, and how on earth do we even measure that with today's PGA)

It's like a bunch of little old church ladies in here sometimes.  (respect to Eric C for owning it)

This may or may not be within the Rules. That’s why this is in this sub-forum. No need for the added OT commentary.

I don’t know if this is illegal. You can’t for example use a driveway marker stick on the course (but you can carry them). So we’ll see.