IGNORED

Most interesting or surprising facts about your golfing life..

scotth
Note: This thread is 2100 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Let's see... 

Hi I'm Valleygolfer and I'm a golfaholic.... 

I'm fairly sure I'm one click away from becoming Charles Barkley... 

I live in New England at a touristy location and golf with a lot of strangers. There is probably a 90% chance that their name is John or Bill. 

I have a considerable amount of athletic ability that is seriously sabotaged by the 8 inches between my ears. 

Golf is #2, my daughter is #1, everything else takes a back seat. I shocked that my girlfriend has put up with this for 4 years... 

I often get deep seated embarrassment when I play poorly, which increases my internal pressure.... which obviously helps you play better...  It usually takes a few hours to come to terms when I have a bad round. I don't know if this is funny or sad... 

"My ball is on top of a rock in the hazard, do I get some sort of relief?"

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

33 minutes ago, Valleygolfer said:

Let's see... 

Hi I'm Valleygolfer and I'm a golfaholic.... 

I'm fairly sure I'm one click away from becoming Charles Barkley... 

I live in New England at a touristy location and golf with a lot of strangers. There is probably a 90% chance that their name is John or Bill. 

I have a considerable amount of athletic ability that is seriously sabotaged by the 8 inches between my ears. 

Golf is #2, my daughter is #1, everything else takes a back seat. I shocked that my girlfriend has put up with this for 4 years... 

I often get deep seated embarrassment when I play poorly, which increases my internal pressure.... which obviously helps you play better...  It usually takes a few hours to come to terms when I have a bad round. I don't know if this is funny or sad... 

We are one and the same. Completely relate to this.

:ping: G25 Driver Stiff :ping: G20 3W, 5W :ping: S55 4-W (aerotech steel fiber 110g shafts) :ping: Tour Wedges 50*, 54*, 58* :nike: Method Putter Floating clubs: :edel: 54* trapper wedge

Nothing that interesting, all I can think of is this:

I am 44 years old and played golf since I was a kid.  From the time I was about 13, I’ve played 4 different set of irons total.  Hand me downs in high school, used clubs from a buddy in college, and I bought myself new irons in 1997 and again in 2012.  That’s it.

4 hours ago, jetsknicks1 said:

my oldest son and I didn’t get along for years, until we golfed one day and now we play just about every weekend.

+1

From the land of perpetual cloudiness.   I'm Denny

1.      Growing up in a village in Africa – success meant two things – being a member of a Rotary Club, and playing golf.

2.      A Rotary Club used to organize charity golf – and raise funds for projects in the villages – I used to be a translator for medical camps. I remember spending a day with this golfer who was a doctor, trying to explain me what golf was and how it’s played – and me telling him when I grow up I want to be both a Rotarian, and a golfer. Very nice and generous people. My first ever dental examination was by a golfer.

3.      20 years down the line and having migrated from Africa to down under, I picked up golf seriously last year (after playing on and off for the last 10 years), and I have been a Rotarian for 15 years now. Organizing a charity golf for my local rotary gives me a sense of achievement, even though I am a really bad golfer at the moment.

4.      When I am frustrated, it does amaze me that my biggest problem now is breaking 100, when two decades ago I used to live in a slum, and my biggest problem was having a toilet. Perspective.

5.      As I continue learning – my happiest moments are when I score a par, or a few birdies then something happens I score an 8 or a 9. Some I jinx my scores, but playing off 28 gives me some comfort.

6.      My bucket list seems to include more golf related stuff.

• Like 1

Let's see.

I've never had an eagle.  I have been on in two in a par-5 once, and exactly once, and that was due to an incredibly lucky tee shot.  I played the same course a week later and they moved the tees on that par-5 up, and it's now a par-4.  That one time I was on in two, I left my eagle putt short by a foot.

I got interested in golf for weird reasons.  Summer 2004 (summer after my third year of undergraduate), I was playing a Star Wars RPG on my roommate's Xbox, which was weird because I don't play video games that much anyway, and I'm not all that into Star Wars.  After finishing that game, I wanted some other RPG-style video game to play, and he had Tiger Woods 2004 which I'd seen him play (side note:  he didn't play golf either) and it had XP.  So... I played that.  And a year later, the friend who gave him that game took me to the range.  And eight months later, I bought a set of irons, and then four months after that I was a range regular, and... well.  

Part of my motivation to take up golf for real was to have a hobby that would take me outside and away from the computer.   Now my job is pretty close to my dream job and I find myself resenting the periods where I go without playing golf because I got too busy at work.

I have never broken 80.  But I have broken 40 for consecutive nines, but it wasn't one round (second nine one day, first nine same course the next day).  My personal best 18 hole score is 81, which was 46+35.  One of my first rounds with a GameGolf too :-) 

My first summer playing, summer 2006, I holed out from 50 yards on a totally lucky guess of a pitch.  I haven't holed out from further than 25 yards out since.

-- Michael | My swing! 

"You think you're Jim Furyk. That's why your phone is never charged." - message from my mother

Driver:  Titleist 915D2.  4-wood:  Titleist 917F2.  Titleist TS2 19 degree hybrid.  Another hybrid in here too.  Irons 5-U, Ping G400.  Wedges negotiable (currently 54 degree Cleveland, 58 degree Titleist) Edel putter. 

1. My first hole in one was with a driver and my second was with a SW.

2. Ladies/Junior par was 4 and Men's par was 3. I've eagled that hole as a junior and a man.

3. I have a hole in one from every set of tees at my home course.

4. I won a sudden death playoff once with a triple bogey 7 on a relatively easy hole.

5. I started Men's league one night: birdie birdie par par birdie eagle birdie the proceeded to gag in a bogey double bogey finish. 

6. Been in 6 sudden death playoffs in various qualifiers, I am 3-3

7. Won a tournament only to finish last the next year.

I’m sure that there are lots of interesting bad facts about my game. But the most interesting good fact is that I am 4-under par lifetime on a single hole. 

I’ve played the 9 hole Fleming golf course within Harding Park twice and eagled the 8th hole both times. The hole is a 260 yard par 4. The first time I drove the front of the green and made a long putt. The second time I holed out a greenside pitch with my 2nd shot. If I ever play that course again, I’m sure the golf gods are going to have a nice triple bogey in store for me.

• Upvote 1

8 hours ago, Vinsk said:

We are one and the same. Completely relate to this.

I kind of felt that way reading your posts too. 

"My ball is on top of a rock in the hazard, do I get some sort of relief?"

1. I started playing seriously 10 years ago. Before that, it was once every couple of years at most.
  2. I met @iacas and Dave Wedzik at the very first golf clinic I ever went too. 
  3. I won the first league I played in. My HC was high to start and went down during the year, but I kept getting better. On the last round, the others tried to psych me out, I ended up with the best round of the year.
  4. I've had one eagle. I was going to lay up because 180 over a water hazard terrified me. But my buddy said "You can't lay up!" I hit it to 30 feet with a 5W and made a sweeping right to left down hill putt. He missed his!
  5. No holes in one, but have come close a few times.
  6. I've broken 80 twice and was as low as a 10 HC a few years ago. But many injuries and age have slowed me down. I would love to get back there and am working hard toward that.
  7. My wife golfs too, which is a major plus on vacation. My son also golfs and takes me out for Father's Day if he's not working.
  8. I've only played in one scramble ever.
  9. I collect yardage books.

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

• I am left handed in everything except for golf because the first set of clubs I ever used were old ones from my grandma so I just learned to swing right handed.
  • Over the past 8 years, my average score has decreased roughly 40 strokes with the only form of lessons being 3-4 months of evolvr . Averaged aprox. 120 my senior year of h.s., now im around 80 on average

Driver: :callaway: Rogue Max ST LS
Woods:  :cobra: Darkspeed LS 3Wood/3Hybrid
Irons: :tmade: P770 (4-PW)
Wedges: :callaway: MD3 50   MD5 54 58 degree  
Putter: :odyssey:  White Hot RX #1
Ball: :srixon: Z Star XV

Like Shindig mentioned...I get pissed when stupid things come up at work that prevent me from playing.

Biggest thing I know about my golfing life is that I'm a different person when I play.  Better person.  That being said, I only like to play with my group of 4-5 other guys that I only know from golf.  I hate playing with friends, refuse to play in work events...I told them all I quit playing.  I've found golf is my " coping mechanism"...I can get away from the BS and focus on something for ME for awhile. 

I like the individualism of it.

1. Never had a hole-in-one despite hitting the pin several times or being within a few feet.

2. I can shoot 50 on the front 9 and 36 on the back 9 like it's no problem.

3. I have played every month of the year the last two years.  Living in Ohio, that's quite an accomplishment.  Have to take advantage of those 50 degree days in January. Also, 50 degrees in January is shorts and T-shirt weather.

• Like 1

In My Bag:
Driver: :cleveland:  Hi-Bore XLS
Irons: :cleveland:  CCi 3i-PW
Wedges: :nike:  VR V-Rev Cast Black-Satin
Putter: :ping:  IC 20-10A

I once had 2 eagles in a 3 hole stretch from hole 8-10. I think I barely broke 90 that round.

KICK THE FLIP!!

In the bag:
:srixon: Z355

:callaway: XR16 3 Wood
:tmade: Aeroburner 19* 3 hybrid
:ping: I e1 irons 4-PW
:vokey: SM5 50, 60
:wilsonstaff: Harmonized Sole Grind 56 and Windy City Putter

1 hour ago, RichWW2 said:

3. I have played every month of the year the last two years.  Living in Ohio, that's quite an accomplishment.  Have to take advantage of those 50 degree days in January. Also, 50 degrees in January is shorts and T-shirt weather.

Every winter, we always get one or two days that are decent. Maybe a couple more if you are a hard ass. Kittyhawk in January is moody.

3 hours ago, mcanadiens said:

Every winter, we always get one or two days that are decent. Maybe a couple more if you are a hard ass. Kittyhawk in January is moody.

Our unofficial limit is 45 degrees.  Can wear pants and a light jacket and still be able to mostly swing normally.  We play the Kitty (will never call it the Falcon) a lot because it's cheap and we can walk it.  Still a hard course no matter the time of year for a Par 3 course.

Edited by RichWW2

In My Bag:
Driver: :cleveland:  Hi-Bore XLS
Irons: :cleveland:  CCi 3i-PW
Wedges: :nike:  VR V-Rev Cast Black-Satin
Putter: :ping:  IC 20-10A

Note: This thread is 2100 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!