IGNORED

You're Down to 4 Clubs in Your Bag...What Are They???

N8theGr8_1988
Note: This thread is 2095 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

So, being new to the game (hooked after a trip to the range and my very first round, which I posted a hard earned 95,) I've realized that although I have a full bag of 14 clubs, I really only generally rely on 4 (three not counting my putter) for consistency at this stage. I know full well that as my game improves, the need to pull others for those specialty shots will come more often. Just for conversation's sake, if you were down to 4 sticks in your bag, what would they be and why? Feel free to add exact model if you like...

My 4 Club Bag: Precise XT420 Set (2nd Hand and cheap, but I'm consistent with them)

• 460cc, 12*, 48" driver (excellent distance)

• XT420 Cavity Back 7 Iron (controlled, straight, medium range shots)

• XT420 Cavity Back PW (anything near 100yds from the hole, very accurate, high pitching)

• XT420 Counterweight Putter (alignment aid, more comfortable to my grip and stance than my Ping Scottsdale TR Anser 2.)

*disclaimer* Despite the laughs at this meager collection, I play really consistent shots with them. My Achilles heel is the driver. I can hit for distance, but about 60% of the time, I will draw one off the fairway into heavy rough or out of play completely. When they do fly straight it's a beautiful sight out to 250+. Hoping to fix the flaw that's most likely in my swing mechanics.

Edited by N8theGr8_1988
  • Upvote 1

It is indeed a great game. Enjoy it. Sometimes when walking the public course on Lanai I will limit my clubs, made it down to only 7 iron several times but yes I would agree when spoiled with 4 I would use 3 wood, 7I, PW and putter. 

Being there in Montgomery you got a few good choices there at Capital Hill. We enjoyed the Senator and while the Judge was a bit challenging it was still good fun.

Aloha,

iSank

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

Hi, I live on a small island in the Pacific Ocean.

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

For me I would carry my 5 iron, 7 iron, pitching wedge and putter.  I hit my 7 iron and pitching wedge better than any other club in my bag. The 5 iron is the longest club that I consistently hit well.  The distance I would lose not hitting a longer club off the tee I feel I would well make up for by being in the fairway. If I would just take that philosophy to the course I would probably score much better. I have a tough time with the mental part of the game and not playing to my abilities.  If it’s a par 5 I want to smoke a driver and end up playing a ball out of the rough rather than hitting a shorter club and using all 3 shots to get on the green. My game is a work in progress and hopefully one day I will get it all figured out.

• Thumbs Up 1

Probably my 3W, my 7W, my 8I, and my AW. 

I would putt with my 7W. The 3W would give me the longer distances needed. My 7W, and 8I would work well for longer approach shots. My AW would work well for pitching, chipping, and green side bunkers. 

• Thumbs Up 1

In My Bag:
A whole bunch of Tour Edge golf stuff...... :beer:

26 minutes ago, iSank said:

It is indeed a great game. Enjoy it. Sometimes when walking the public course on Lanai I will limit my clubs, made it down to only 7 iron several times but yes I would agree when spoiled with 4 I would use 3 wood, 7I, PW and putter. 

Being there in Montgomery you got a few good choices there at Capital Hill. We enjoyed the Senator and while the Judge was a bit challenging it was still good fun.

Aloha,

iSank

Yeah there are a lot of good courses in and around Montgomery. Depending on how much you want to spend on a round, the better courses offer a real challenge even to seasoned golfers and are breathtaking to look at. I'm not quite ready for those yet, but I'm making it a point to "get ready."

23 minutes ago, J M Brown said:

For me I would carry my 5 iron, 7 iron, pitching wedge and putter.  I hit my 7 iron and pitching wedge better than any other club in my bag. The 5 iron is the longest club that I consistently hit well.  The distance I would lose not hitting a longer club off the tee I feel I would well make up for by being in the fairway. If I would just take that philosophy to the course I would probably score much better. I have a tough time with the mental part of the game and not playing to my abilities.  If it’s a par 5 I want to smoke a driver and end up playing a ball out of the rough rather than hitting a shorter club and using all 3 shots to get on the green. My game is a work in progress and hopefully one day I will get it all figured out.

That's a new perspective for me, and I may give that a go. I would love to be better at hitting my metal woods. Tbh, I thought I might struggle with my middle and short irons, but they might be my most consistent choices. PW is a short range must for me right now, as I can be extremely accurate with it from 90-110 yds depending on the stroke I use.

• Thumbs Up 1

I would carry 5W - 7i - PW & putter.  The distance that I would lose between my Driver and 5W is made up with control.  

Thinking this thru I think it would be a lot of fun to play a 2 ball round and with ball #1 use the entire set and with ball #2 only use these four clubs.

As soon as my fractured heel heals I am going to play 9 doing this

At least once a season I will go out and play a full round with 7i on down, surprising how much this really helps my game

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

- Dean

Driver: PXG GEN3 Proto X Mitsubishi Tensei CK Pro Orange
Fairway wood: 5 Wood PXG 0341 GEN2 hzrdus smoke yellow

2 Iron PXG XP Evenflow Blue

3 Utility Iron Srixon 3 20*
Irons:  5 thru PW PXG GEN3 XP Steelfiber 95 -  Wedges: Mizuno T7 48, 52, 56 and 60 Recoil 110 shafts 6
Putter: In search of the Holy Grail Ball: Snell MTBx

Driver, 3hy, 6hy and gapwedge. 

Driver off the tee, 3hy long shots from rough and fairway. 6y for putting, long rolling chips and shots to the green from 155y-110y. Gapwedge for short chips, bunkershots and shots to the green 100y-70y. 

• Thumbs Up 1

if i only had 4 clubs.... i'd choose Driver, 4iron,  7 iron, 56* wedge..   i am pretty sure most of the courses in my area someone could get away with only using these 4 clubs

• Thumbs Up 1

It is what it is

I'm thinking 3 wood, 5 or 6 iron (not sure which, and the course might influence that decision), 9 iron and 56 wedge. I would putt with either the 3 wood choked way down for long putts or a bladed wedge for shorter ones, say less than 15 feet.

Edited by sjduffers
  • Thumbs Up 1

Philippe

:callaway: Maverick Driver, 3W, 5W Big Bertha 
:mizuno: JPX 900 Forged 4-GW
:mizuno:  T7 55-09 and 60-10 forged wedges,
:odyssey: #7 putter (Slim 3.0 grip)

3W, 5i(use as putter as well), 7i, 56

Tough call between 7i and 8i.

I shot 7 over my average using just a 7i a couple times...

Never really missed any fairways, nor found trouble...

• Thumbs Up 1

:ping:  :tmade:  :callaway:   :gamegolf:  :titleist:

TM White Smoke Big Fontana; Pro-V1
TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56
Ping i20 irons U-4, CFS300
Callaway XR16 9 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S
Callaway XR16 3W 15 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S, X2Hot Pro 20 degrees S

"I'm hitting the woods just great, but I'm having a terrible time getting out of them." ~Harry Toscano

3 wood, 7 iron, PW and putter for me.

I'm currently hitting my 3 wood off a tee longer than my driver plus it can double up for long par 4 and 5's.  7 iron pretty and PW gives me a wide range of distances and putter for when I get on the green.

• Thumbs Up 1

In my bag: All Lefty clubs
Goldsmith driver I built 10 degree reg flex, Orlimar 14 degree 3 wood, 7 wood
Cobra Oversize 3 and 4 iron; Gigagolf Ion Control 5 iron through PW firm flex and 1 inch over with 3 degrees upright
Golfsmith SW that I built, steel shaft reg flex, Cleveland Tour Action Raw 60 with dynamic golf stiff
Scotty Cameron Teryllium Newport putter

Maybe off topic, but what happen to my other 10 clubs?

In My Bag:

1 hour ago, Patch said:

Maybe off topic, but what happen to my other 10 clubs?

Nothing happened, I'm just always intrigued by those who can do more with less...That and a lot of people tend to have a core group of clubs that they can rely on, and this is a "just for fun/what if" type of thread.

6 minutes ago, N8theGr8_1988 said:

Nothing happened, I'm just always intrigued by those who can do more with less...That and a lot of people tend to have a core group of clubs that they can rely on, and this is a "just for fun/what if" type of thread.

I was just joking around about the other 10 clubs. I play in a few local 3 Club Tournaments every so often, so 4 Clubs wouldn't be that much different. Probably easier in fact. 

• Thumbs Up 1

In My Bag:

3H-6i-9i-putter

• Thumbs Up 1

:ping: G25 Driver Stiff :ping: G20 3W, 5W :ping: S55 4-W (aerotech steel fiber 110g shafts) :ping: Tour Wedges 50*, 54*, 58* :nike: Method Putter Floating clubs: :edel: 54* trapper wedge

I’d take 3 wood, 6 Iron, SW, P. 

3 wood to get me off the tee, and for second shots on par 5s when needed. 6 iron is a solid mid iron I could choke up or knock the ball down to aid with distance control. SW for all short game shots, and putter for 3 putting my way to a high score 🙂

• Administrator

D, 2H, 6I, W

I'd putt with the wedge or hybrid.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Note: This thread is 2095 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!