IGNORED

PGA Tour Pro Dahmen Accuses Fellow Tour Player Kang of Cheating

scotth
Note: This thread is 2100 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

https://www.yahoo.com/sports/m/db5d0e87-9e88-3800-ac6e-7c90db92e12a/ss_joel-dahmen-accuses-fellow.html

Have heard fellow players gripe and say somebody is cheating, but never remember a player giving a name before.  Wondering what the reaction is going to be on tour and the media.

What do you guys think?  Really bad move by Joel Dahmen that is going to ostracize him forever, or will he be applauded by fellow tour members?

In my bag: All Lefty clubs
Goldsmith driver I built 10 degree reg flex, Orlimar 14 degree 3 wood, 7 wood
Cobra Oversize 3 and 4 iron; Gigagolf Ion Control 5 iron through PW firm flex and 1 inch over with 3 degrees upright
Golfsmith SW that I built, steel shaft reg flex, Cleveland Tour Action Raw 60 with dynamic golf stiff
Scotty Cameron Teryllium Newport putter

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Full article at Golf Week:

https://golfweek.com/2018/07/02/joel-dahmen-accuses-fellow-pga-tour-pro-of-cheating/

And I was just kidding when I said in the tournament thread that Tiger had a chance to finish higher than he did if people above him were DQ'd or belatedly penalized. 

-- Michael | My swing! 

"You think you're Jim Furyk. That's why your phone is never charged." - message from my mother

Driver:  Titleist 915D2.  4-wood:  Titleist 917F2.  Titleist TS2 19 degree hybrid.  Another hybrid in here too.  Irons 5-U, Ping G400.  Wedges negotiable (currently 54 degree Cleveland, 58 degree Titleist) Edel putter. 

I just read that, he is very blunt.

No opinion on the incident since I wasn’t there and didn’t see it; I’ll just say I’m surprised he uses the word “cheat” in regards to a disagreement about where the ball crossed into a hazard.  He was obviously very sure of himself.

I would not have said cheat either after reading the article.  Wondering if that kind of bluntness will come back to haunt him.  My impression of the tour is that kind of thing will alienate you from your fellow tour pros.

• Like 1

In my bag: All Lefty clubs
Goldsmith driver I built 10 degree reg flex, Orlimar 14 degree 3 wood, 7 wood
Cobra Oversize 3 and 4 iron; Gigagolf Ion Control 5 iron through PW firm flex and 1 inch over with 3 degrees upright
Golfsmith SW that I built, steel shaft reg flex, Cleveland Tour Action Raw 60 with dynamic golf stiff
Scotty Cameron Teryllium Newport putter

• Administrator

Nobody is gonna #Backstop for him now! :-P

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1
  • Upvote 1

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

47 minutes ago, Golfingdad said:

I just read that, he is very blunt.

No opinion on the incident since I wasn’t there and didn’t see it; I’ll just say I’m surprised he uses the word “cheat” in regards to a disagreement about where the ball crossed into a hazard.  He was obviously very sure of himself.

^^ this

either 'sure' of himself, or he could just be 'that guy"

can't tell - but it puts him on the far ends of the opinion page, he's either good guy that's very rules conscious, or a douche-nozzle.  I'm leaning to the latter at this point - he doesn't have the same angle, line of site that the other player does, nor any input from video, fans, officials from a very full course.  Even if his view turns out correct, it still comes down to whether it was his opinion on not.

As far as penalizing Kang helping Tiger get a T3 or T2.....well, Tigs had his own chances to make that happen - just the one kick-in alone...

I doubt any other players will touch this topic with a 10 foot pole.

Edited by rehmwa

Bill - 

Wonder if officials concurred the ball crossed or lost in the hazard?

Guessing, Dahmen is indicating the ball should have been ruled a lost ball on the course?

Johnny Rocket - Let's Rock and Roll and play some golf !!!

4 minutes ago, Club Rat said:

Wonder if officials concurred the ball crossed or lost in the hazard?

Guessing, Dahmen is indicating the ball should have been ruled a lost ball on the course?

No, I think it was about where it was dropped, not a question about if it went in the hazard or not.

KICK THE FLIP!!

In the bag:
:srixon: Z355

:callaway: XR16 3 Wood
:tmade: Aeroburner 19* 3 hybrid
:ping: I e1 irons 4-PW
:vokey: SM5 50, 60
:wilsonstaff: Harmonized Sole Grind 56 and Windy City Putter

If you're going to say it, say it. None of this "A source in the locker room suggested...." crap, months after the event. If he's confident in his accusation, then I commend him for making it.

At least this way the target of his accusation can refute it, if he wishes, publicly.

• Like 1

Replay of round four on Golf Channel now, maybe it will shed some light on the situation.

Johnny Rocket - Let's Rock and Roll and play some golf !!!

44 minutes ago, Club Rat said:

Replay of round four on Golf Channel now, maybe it will shed some light on the situation.

If they already have footage, I'm sure they would have tagged it to the article.  The only thing one might take on it is if they show Kang's ball flight (Tracer), if it's a draw/straight flight that went left and up at least pin to the green, then Kang's claim is reasonable.  If it's a fade, then Dahman's conclusion is right. 

But, if Dahman is off to Kang's right during the shot, then he has zero ability to assess where Kang's shot went out - whether he's right or wrong.

48 minutes ago, ScouseJohnny said:

If he's confident in his accusation, then I commend him for making it.

At least this way the target of his accusation can refute it, if he wishes, publicly.

this I agree with, if he's gonna do it, then speak up, don't hide

Edited by rehmwa

Bill - 

If Dahmer felt that strongly, he should never have signed the card. If both players disagree, the rules official is going to take the side of the player who hit the shot, and presumably had the best view. If Dahmer tweeted he "didn't sign and attest the scorecard because he disagreed with the ruling, that's why the official did" I would've had respect for him. But to sign and then tweet that Kang is a cheater, that's a bitch move.

• Upvote 1

PING G400 Max 9*  Taylormade  M2 15*  Callaway Steelhead XR 19* & 22*   Callaway Apex CF-16 5-GW  Callaway MD3 54* & 58*  RIFE 2 Bar Hybrid Mallet 34"

• Administrator
56 minutes ago, GrandStranded said:

If Dahmer felt that strongly, he should never have signed the card.

58 minutes ago, GrandStranded said:

If Dahmer tweeted he "didn't sign and attest the scorecard because he disagreed with the ruling, that's why the official did" I would've had respect for him. But to sign and then tweet that Kang is a cheater, that's a bitch move.

Uhhhhh…

Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

I say it will not affect him on the PGA tour. Since Kang is a Korean golfer and in the minority of the PGA in America, no one will care. Besides only cheaters would have to worry. Korean golfers seem to get caught cheating more frequently than any other. They obviously need to get better at it or realize there are to many cameras to get away with it.

I applaud Dahmen for saying it but I really think he would not have if the offender was an American.

Edited by Valleygolfer

"My ball is on top of a rock in the hazard, do I get some sort of relief?"

12 minutes ago, iacas said:

Uhhhhh…

Nonsense. If you're going to go on social media and call the guy a cheater, why sign the card? Make the official sign it, especially if you disagree with the official ruling enough to call him (Kang) out later. Would you sign if you felt he cheated? 

Edited by GrandStranded

PING G400 Max 9*  Taylormade  M2 15*  Callaway Steelhead XR 19* & 22*   Callaway Apex CF-16 5-GW  Callaway MD3 54* & 58*  RIFE 2 Bar Hybrid Mallet 34"

• Administrator
9 minutes ago, GrandStranded said:

Nonsense. If you're going to go on social media and call the guy a cheater, why sign the card?

Because there's literally nothing to be gained in not signing it. The Rules Official made his ruling/determination.

I probably wouldn't have signed. I would have said "then get the RO to sign it." But like I said (and like he said "delaying the inevitable," there's literally no difference.

Have a feeling he will be revered for this among the tour guys.....

Edited by BallStriker

"Getting paired with you is the equivalent to a two-stroke penalty to your playing competitors"  -- Sean O'Hair to Rory Sabbatini (Zurich Classic, 2011)

Note: This thread is 2100 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!