IGNORED

How Hot Is Too Hot to Play?

scotth
Note: This thread is 1377 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Golf in the Heat  

76 members have voted

1. 1. How hot is too hot to play golf (Fahrenheit)?

Another thread bump. 

I’ll be teeing off tomorrow at 2pm here in Houston, and will be walking. 92 is the high, and 40% humidity expected (actually pretty darn low). Will be interesting as usually a tee time like that on the summer is cartball for me. Gonna have to really hydrate in advance and while out there. 

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Is this for walking?  If riding a cart, I can play even at 105 + heat, which I have in AZ.

Don

:titleist: 910 D2, 8.5˚, Adila RIP 60 S-Flex
:titleist: 980F 15˚
:yonex: EZone Blades (3-PW) Dynamic Gold S-200
:vokey:   Vokey wedges, 52˚; 56˚; and 60˚
:scotty_cameron:  2014 Scotty Cameron Select Newport 2

I’ve never thought that it was too hot to go out and play...

...I’ve occasionally thought that it was too hot to have gone out to play.  :8)

Generally, 100° and humid is about that point.  In the desert, heat was never an issue.  I very seldom walk any more though, regardless of temperature.  

• Like 1

In David's bag....

Driver: Titleist 910 D-3;  9.5* Diamana Kai'li
3-Wood: Titleist 910F;  15* Diamana Kai'li
Hybrids: Titleist 910H 19* and 21* Diamana Kai'li
Irons: Titleist 695cb 5-Pw

Wedges: Scratch 51-11 TNC grind, Vokey SM-5's;  56-14 F grind and 60-11 K grind
Putter: Scotty Cameron Kombi S
Ball: ProV1

1 hour ago, David in FL said:

I’ve never thought that it was too hot to go out and play...

...I’ve occasionally thought that it was too hot to have gone out to play.  :8)  

Well said

Driver: :callaway: Rogue ST  /  Woods: :tmade: Stealth 5W / Hybrid: :tmade: Stealth 25* / Irons: :ping: i500’s /  Wedges: :edel: 54*, 58*; Putter: :scotty_cameron: Futura 5  Ball: image.png Vero X1

-Jonny

It is never too hot to play

What's in the bag

• Taylor Made r5 dual Draw 9.5* (stiff)
  • Cobra Baffler 4H (stiff)
  • Taylor Made RAC OS 6-9,P,S (regular)
  • Golden Bear LD5.0 60* (regular)
  • Aidia Z-009 Putter
  • Inesis Soft 500 golf ball

I just don't ever really experience 105-degree heat, so I'm staying away from that one. Other than that, I'll be on the course if I can.

Paying for cart fees isn't my bag, but over 90 degrees is where the idea of hoofing it gets a whole lot less appealing. Whipping around in a cart makes the heat much easier to deal with.

Florida native so I didn't vote. With that being said I haven't walked a full 18 in a long time so I guess being on the cart and getting that breeze while driving has always been enough for me.

:titleist:

:tmade:

I walked & carried for 18 holes several years ago when it was around 103 and humid. I wanted to see what it was like.  It was not impossible to play but frankly, it was pretty darn uncomfortable. I can play in high heat but given a choice, I would probably wait for slightly cooler temps.

Brian Kuehn

You should include dew point in this. Arizona in the summer isn't terrible if you have any sort of breeze. Florida in the summer can feel much worse. 

I voted 100 degrees. I've played multiple rounds in the 90's before, waling, and its not bad with adequate precautions. 

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag
Driver; :pxg: 0311 Gen 5,  3-Wood: 
:titleist: 917h3 ,  Hybrid:  :titleist: 915 2-Hybrid,  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel: (52, 56, 60),  Putter: :edel:,  Ball: :snell: MTB,  Shoe: :true_linkswear:,  Rangfinder: :leupold:
Bag: :ping:

90 F. But the forecast sometimes says 85 F and I'll go play. If that's the case and it's 83 when I get to the course I'll ride because it'll be topping 90 by the time I get to the back 9. Don't forget it's hotter in the sun.

Julia

:callaway:  :cobra:    :seemore:  :bushnell:  :clicgear:  :adidas:  :footjoy:

Spoiler

Driver: Callaway Big Bertha w/ Fubuki Z50 R 44.5"
FW: Cobra BiO CELL 14.5 degree; 
Hybrids: Cobra BiO CELL 22.5 degree Project X R-flex
Irons: Cobra BiO CELL 5 - GW Project X R-Flex
Wedges: Cobra BiO CELL SW, Fly-Z LW, 64* Callaway PM Grind.
Putter: 48" Odyssey Dart

i was the lone vote for 85. But then I read @Drv4show's post and kinda want to change my vote.

I won't walk if it's 85 or higher. But I'd still be willing to play and ride at 100+ if I have enough cool wet towels on me.

Edited by bones75

53 minutes ago, bones75 said:

i was the lone vote for 85. But then I read @Drv4show's post and kinda want to change my vote.

I won't walk if it's 85 or higher. But I'd still be willing to play and ride at 100+ if I have enough cool wet towels on me.

I grew up in St. Louis and then lived in Miami.  85 to 95 degrees along with the same numbers for humidity was not a big deal then.  Though I tended to play in the mornings... and did carry my own (rather heavy) bag for 18 holes.  Now, I'll take 75 degrees and a push cart and call it good.

Over 85 degrees I'll sit on my shady patio and have a cold one.

Edited by Double Mocha Man

I think there needs to be an age component attached to this question. When I was young and strong, the temp and humidity didn't matter a bit! I could power through. The only thought I had about the heat was that it made the ball fly real good! 

I really want to hear from whoever voted that 80° was too hot...  😱

In David's bag....

Driver: Titleist 910 D-3;  9.5* Diamana Kai'li
3-Wood: Titleist 910F;  15* Diamana Kai'li
Hybrids: Titleist 910H 19* and 21* Diamana Kai'li
Irons: Titleist 695cb 5-Pw

Wedges: Scratch 51-11 TNC grind, Vokey SM-5's;  56-14 F grind and 60-11 K grind
Putter: Scotty Cameron Kombi S
Ball: ProV1

19 hours ago, David in FL said:

I really want to hear from whoever voted that 80° was too hot...  😱

Probably a Canadian. They're all ice heads up there! And they like hockey.

9 minutes ago, Buckeyebowman said:

Probably a Canadian. They're all ice heads up there! And they like hockey.

You can actually see who voted for what by clicking on the little head & shoulders beneath/beside the temperature category in the results.  It was the "Recreational Golfer" who hails from Oregon.  

Edited by Double Mocha Man

On 6/11/2020 at 10:19 AM, pganapathy said:

It is never too hot to play

This.

I'm not happy....we've had a cold, windy and WET June....it's like playing golf in the winter here.....yesterday....standing water on the entire course, no roll out and a balmy 55*F....WTF...has summer bypassed us?...so much for global warming...ugh.

Note: This thread is 1377 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!