IGNORED

2018 British Open Championship at Carnoustie

Wally Fairway
Note: This thread is 2094 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

15 minutes ago, MacDutch said:

Find myself rooting against everybody except Tiger now.

Some say Tiger was lucky today, bit he missed a lot of birdies by an inch.

Yeah, I think many are like that, although hard to root against Spieth. He's trying to make some history himself. Great talent to watch. A Tiger-Rory-Spieth showdown is what everyone wants.

• Like 1

Spieth with a chance to finish -9, but par on 18 is not a given.

Zach Johnson dropped three shots in two holes and he's not even at the toughest stretch of the course yet.

Bill

“By three methods we may learn wisdom: First, by reflection, which is noblest; Second, by imitation, which is easiest; and third by experience, which is the bitterest.” - Confucius

My Swing Thread

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

25 minutes ago, MacDutch said:

Find myself rooting against everybody except Tiger now.

Some say Tiger was lucky today, bit he missed a lot of birdies by an inch.

Tiger got one lucky break. And his tee shot on 16 was nice and got a raw deal rolling off like that. Go Tiger!

:ping: G25 Driver Stiff :ping: G20 3W, 5W :ping: S55 4-W (aerotech steel fiber 110g shafts) :ping: Tour Wedges 50*, 54*, 58* :nike: Method Putter Floating clubs: :edel: 54* trapper wedge

I’m glad no one is running away and hiding this afternoon. If the lead is -9 at the end of the day, then tomorrow should be a great day of golf. 

Would love to see Tiger make it happen tomorrow but would also be cool to see Spieth defend and continue to rack up majors. 

Edited by skydog

19 minutes ago, skydog said:

I’m glad no one is running away and hiding this afternoon. If the lead is -9 at the end of the day, then tomorrow should be a great day of golf. 

Would love to see Tiger make it happen tomorrow but would also be cool to see Spieth defend and continue to rack up majors. 

Agreed. For me I’ll be happy if Spieth, Tiger, or Rory take it. Any of them adding a major would be great. 

23 minutes ago, HJJ003 said:

Agreed. For me I’ll be happy if Spieth, Tiger, or Rory take it. Any of them adding a major would be great. 

Yeah I’d be good with that too with my #1 being Tiger....that would be amazing. I would prefer tough conditions tomorrow. A pretty packed leaderboard so gonna be good either way I believe.

• Like 1

:ping: G25 Driver Stiff :ping: G20 3W, 5W :ping: S55 4-W (aerotech steel fiber 110g shafts) :ping: Tour Wedges 50*, 54*, 58* :nike: Method Putter Floating clubs: :edel: 54* trapper wedge

Tiger is also close to a spot where he might qualify for Firestone. Tracker says he believes sixth or seventh could be enough.

Ogio Grom | Callaway X Hot Pro | Callaway X-Utility 3i | Mizuno MX-700 23º | Titleist Vokey SM 52.08, 58.12 | Mizuno MX-700 15º | Titleist 910 D2 9,5º | Scotty Cameron Newport 2 | Titleist Pro V1x and Taylormade Penta | Leupold GX-1

Oh boy, that was worth missing sleep for (the Open tee times are not friendly to viewers on the Pacific Coast). 

Gotta admire Rory for hitting driver almost every hole.  I'm not sure if it helped his score, but that is what you call going after it.

I was disappointed the wind didn't kick up more after Tiger finished, to make up for the shitty draw he got the first two days, which I figure cost him about four shots.  Right now, Spieth has to be the favorite, although Molinari is on a hot streak with a win and a T2 in the last couple or three weeks.  Nobody else ahead of Tiger has proved he can win a major, but Rory, Zach, and Simpson are all tied with him, and Scott and Rose are just a shot back.  Nor would I be at all surprised if Fleetwood, Kuchar, or Finau broke through.

So it should be a great Sunday.  A windy day might have helped the old Tiger, but I'm not sure it will give him an advantage now, with his game still a bit fragile.  But even a solo 6th should get him into the WGC, as he's about half a point out of the top 50 in the rankings, and solo 6th is worth 20 points (which will give him half a point when you divide by 40, his current divisor).

I think I'll take a nap now.

A windy day would help Tiger of today as well. He has hit the dog shit out of long irons this week.  

Vishal S.

As much as I'd like to see Tiger win tomorrow, I think it would be just as awesome for the game to see Jordan go back-to-back. Not sure who I'd root for if it came down to those two.  Probably Jordan, but I will still root for Tiger as well. 

Edited by ChrisP

• Administrator
4 hours ago, ChrisP said:

Kisner is kinda like Lombard right now (well, maybe not that dramatic). Not sure where this is coming from. Hasn't exactly had a good stretch of golf this year.  In his last 7 tourneys he has 4 MCs and nothing better than a T-52.

<sarcasm>Don't you know? Any variation from a player's expected score or norm is completely attributable to "luck" because some mathematicians couldn't conceive of it being due to anything else. Players can't discover something, turn the corner on a piece of their swing, or just have a good week of ballstriking… it's just luck.</sarcasm>

3 hours ago, Zeph said:

Tiger is also close to a spot where he might qualify for Firestone. Tracker says he believes sixth or seventh could be enough.

Oh yeah, I keep forgetting about that. It's like "win or bust…" with a nice consolation prize.

1 hour ago, ChrisP said:

As much as I'd like to see Tiger win tomorrow, I think it would be just as awesome for the game to see Jordan go back-to-back.

@ChrisP, c'mon, you can't be serious.

Tiger Woods winning a major after a decade and all that he's been through would be worldwide NEWS. Jordan Spieth going back to back would be… news to golf geeks like us.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

4 hours ago, HJJ003 said:

I always rather have the winner have a good career resume rather than a one-hit wonder (Todd Hamilton) win it. 

1 hour ago, iacas said:

<sarcasm>Don't you know? Any variation from a player's expected score or norm is completely attributable to "luck" because some mathematicians couldn't conceive of it being due to anything else. Players can't discover something, turn the corner on a piece of their swing, or just have a good week of ballstriking… it's just luck.</sarcasm>

<tongue in cheek> So THAT'S been my problem the whole time! Thanks for straightening that out for me! <tongue in cheek>

I'll be pulling for both Spieth and Tiger tomorrow. The look of determination on Spieth's face when he striped that drive on #1 suggested we might see something special.

But, you're right. Tiger winning his 15th major would be huge! It would revive his chase for Nicklaus' record and re-establish him as one of the top players in the game. He sure played some mighty good golf today.

If the wind blows like they're forecasting, tomorrow will be an interesting and entertaining watch.

1 hour ago, iacas said:

@ChrisP, c'mon, you can't be serious.

Tiger Woods winning a major after a decade and all that he's been through would be worldwide NEWS. Jordan Spieth going back to back would be… news to golf geeks like us.

But Jordan winning would put us one step closer to making a Jack-Tiger-Jordan thread of "Who's the greatest." haha.

In all seriousness, a part of me does want to see Tiger win, and maybe in the heat of things, I'll find myself pulling for him tomorrow. But I'm a Spieth fan, too, and want to see him pile up a lot of majors and him winning tomorrow helps his resume a lot. Of course, I already know that the winner tomorrow is going to be Kevin Chappell. This happens all the time. We have a great story building up, and the winner is a guy that no one really cares about (see 2003 and Ben Curtis beating out all those superstars around him).

2 minutes ago, ChrisP said:

But Jordan winning would put us one step closer to making a Jack-Tiger-Jordan thread of "Who's the greatest." haha.

In all seriousness, a part of me does want to see Tiger win, and maybe in the heat of things, I'll find myself pulling for him tomorrow. But I'm a Spieth fan, too, and want to see him pile up a lot of majors and him winning tomorrow helps his resume a lot. Of course, I already know that the winner tomorrow is going to be Kevin Chappell. This happens all the time. We have a great story building up, and the winner is a guy that no one really cares about (see 2003 and Ben Curtis beating out all those superstars around him).

Actually funny you said that about Chappell. He was the cover for either Golf Magazine or Golf Digest about a year ago. One of the tips he gave in the story inside was a big help to me. Whenever I feel like things are going off the rails during a round, I try to picture what he showed. Naturally I've pulled for him to do well ever since...

PING G400 Max 9*  Taylormade  M2 15*  Callaway Steelhead XR 19* & 22*   Callaway Apex CF-16 5-GW  Callaway MD3 54* & 58*  RIFE 2 Bar Hybrid Mallet 34"

51 minutes ago, GrandStranded said:

Actually funny you said that about Chappell. He was the cover for either Golf Magazine or Golf Digest about a year ago. One of the tips he gave in the story inside was a big help to me. Whenever I feel like things are going off the rails during a round, I try to picture what he showed. Naturally I've pulled for him to do well ever since...

That's a cool story. Don't know much about Chappell. Hopefully he has more personality than Xander Schauffele. Goodness me, I'm a fan of Schauffele's playing skill, but from a personality standpoint, he makes Webb Simpson and Patrick Cantlay fun to talk and listen to. 

Edited by ChrisP

4 hours ago, RLM said:

I always rather have the winner have a good career resume rather than a one-hit wonder (Todd Hamilton) win it. 

I feel obligated to point out that the 2004 British wasn't even Todd Hamilton's only win that season. 

However, I also acknowledge it was his only ever top-14 in a major, so... 😕  

-- Michael | My swing! 

"You think you're Jim Furyk. That's why your phone is never charged." - message from my mother

Driver:  Titleist 915D2.  4-wood:  Titleist 917F2.  Titleist TS2 19 degree hybrid.  Another hybrid in here too.  Irons 5-U, Ping G400.  Wedges negotiable (currently 54 degree Cleveland, 58 degree Titleist) Edel putter. 

Note: This thread is 2094 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!