IGNORED

2018 British Open Championship at Carnoustie

Wally Fairway
Note: This thread is 2088 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Maybe I've been spoiled but it was close to watching paint dry, unlike Jordan getting hot to win last year and the epic Phil/Henrik duel in 2016

This years final round was all about attrition, and Molinari played the steadiest hand. This year that makes him The Championship golfer of the year. Don't get me wrong Molinari played better than anyone and he deserve the win. But while Saturday was exciting as people were going low, today was about me hoping that Eddie Pepperell wasn't going to win. Not that I have anything against Pepperell, but he was off the course before it got interesting and I didn't want to have to watch the Champs round as a replay.

2 new names to see if they build on their Open performance - Pepperell and Zander Lombard, both played well and to be honest I'd never heard of either, unfortunately Zander finished with an 82 (dropping 54 places today - maybe he is who we think he is).

Firestone, then the PGA and the FedEx - those will be nice to follow, but I always look forward to The Open and early prebreakfast major viewing.

Players play, tough players win!

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

1 hour ago, Wally Fairway said:

Maybe I've been spoiled but it was close to watching paint dry, unlike Jordan getting hot to win last year and the epic Phil/Henrik duel in 2016

Really? There were like 12 players that had a shot at winning on the back 9. I thought it was great. I get what you're saying about it being a grind, but that also made it pretty interesting.

Not surprised that Molinari won, considering the hot streak he has been on recently. He's not the most exciting major champion, but it could have been a lot worse.

I wonder how Tiger feels today. There's a reasonable probability this was his last good chance to win a major, considering his age and injury history. It was also great conditions for him in that he didn't need to shoot a 65 to win. The course was also playing a lot shorter because it was firm, meaning he didn't need to risk the driver. And I bet if he shoots 69, he gets into a playoff. It's progress, sure, but I'm not sure that's going to be enough if he's going to win a couple more majors.

• Like 2

-- Daniel

In my bag: :callaway: Paradym :callaway: Epic Flash 3.5W (16 degrees)

:callaway: Rogue Pro 3-PW :edel: SMS Wedges - V-Grind (48, 54, 58):edel: Putter

:aimpoint:

29 minutes ago, DeadMan said:

Really? There were like 12 players that had a shot at winning on the back 9. I thought it was great. I get what you're saying about it being a grind, but that also made it pretty interesting.

Not surprised that Molinari won, considering the hot streak he has been on recently. He's not the most exciting major champion, but it could have been a lot worse.

I wonder how Tiger feels today. There's a reasonable probability this was his last good chance to win a major, considering his age and injury history. It was also great conditions for him in that he didn't need to shoot a 65 to win. The course was also playing a lot shorter because it was firm, meaning he didn't need to risk the driver. And I bet if he shoots 69, he gets into a playoff. It's progress, sure, but I'm not sure that's going to be enough if he's going to win a couple more majors.

I disagree with this as far as a "reasonable probability this was his last good chance to win a major".  He is 12 events back from a couple year layoff, and had the solo lead midway through the final round of a major.  He has the ability to go out and shoot a 65 as we have already seen...He's building upon each tournament he plays as of late, and if not for a couple wayward tee shots and the infamous flop disaster we might be talking about Tiger with 15 majors.  I think this week will do a lot for him in his comeback, and I think he may just go out and win in Akron. 

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, DeadMan said:

I understand, but disagree with it being Tigers last good chance. He seems to be healthy, and he was right in the mix to win a major. I see no reason that he cannot compete at this level for several more years; I would still say that The Masters is his best chance for another major as it has the most limited field and is a course he certainly knows how to score well.

Players play, tough players win!

7 minutes ago, Grinde6 said:

I disagree with this as far as a "reasonable probability this was his last good chance to win a major".  He is 12 events back from a couple year layoff, and had the solo lead midway through the final round of a major.  He has the ability to go out and shoot a 65 as we have already seen...He's building upon each tournament he plays as of late, and if not for a couple wayward tee shots and the infamous flop disaster we might be talking about Tiger with 15 majors.  I think this week will do a lot for him in his comeback, and I think he may just go out and win in Akron. 

One thing I will say is it's not going to be as easy as it used to be for him. It won't be even as easy as in 2013 when he was in the mix. The fields keep getting deeper and Tiger keeps getting a little older, and age does play a part. It's not to say he can't win, but it's going to be 10x harder to do it than it was 10 years ago for him. But I think if he stays healthy, over the next five years, he'll be in the mix 4 or 5 times, maybe a little more.

He also needs to be able to trust his driver in order to win another major. Most Opens won't be like one this past weekend, and to win the Masters, US Open and PGA, you have to hit your driver straight to avoid the bad stuff, which in Augusta is trees and the US Open/PGA is rough. His putting was a big improvement from previous weeks, but it was still so-so. Probably needs to improve upon that just a little as well.

Edited by ChrisP

28 minutes ago, DeadMan said:

Exactly, even if the golf itself wasn't the best in terms of quality across the board, it's hard to argue that 16 pars and 2 birdies in those circumstances was stellar stuff. It's not 'popcorn entertainment' but seeing those still in the hunt come to very gettable par-5's and leave with extinguished hopes is (sadly) a huge part of the hunt and I must say that it was one of the most exciting weekends of a major in a long time, even if that Schauffle bogey took a lot of fun out of the last 20 mins. Either way, give me Tiger/Rory/Jordan in the hunt and Franky pipping the rest with one of the most composed displays of golf in a long time any day over, well, most other situations!

Re Tiger,That was as good a chance as he had recently, true, but if he gets the sharpness back that flop shot comes off, or he bounces straight back with a birdie. He won't be a million miles off for the next few Masters/Brit Open if he stays fit & healthy IMO

1 minute ago, ChrisP said:

He also needs to be able to trust his driver in order to win another major.

Indeed, especially around Augusta

2 hours ago, Wally Fairway said:

Interesting take - personally, I couldn't disagree more, although it certainly wasn't as good as Stenson/Mickelson. Definitely preferred this to the Spieth/Kuchar shootout last year as wherever you looked, someone was doing something. Also helps that it wasn't all about Spieth taking forever to hit a shot...

Currently focusing on: Key 4 - shorter backswing.

What's in the bag: Callaway X2 Hot Driver, Titleist 915F 3 wood, X2 Hot 3 Hybrid, 3, 5-AW Apex Pro irons, 54*, 58* Cleveland RTX, Odyssey Versa 1 Putter

17 minutes ago, Grinde6 said:

15 minutes ago, Wally Fairway said:

I understand, but disagree with it being Tigers last good chance. He seems to be healthy, and he was right in the mix to win a major. I see no reason that he cannot compete at this level for several more years; I would still say that The Masters is his best chance for another major as it has the most limited field and is a course he certainly knows how to score well. 

I hope you are both right!

-- Daniel

In my bag: :callaway: Paradym :callaway: Epic Flash 3.5W (16 degrees)

:callaway: Rogue Pro 3-PW :edel: SMS Wedges - V-Grind (48, 54, 58):edel: Putter

:aimpoint:

I'll jump on the band wagon and say that Tiger will be in the mix a LOT more for a few more years.  All the reasons already stated.  Heck, even this one was just a matter of converting the Par5's better the 3 days he came in par......and it's a win.  woulda shoulda coulda.  He was close.

This one was super fun to watch Saturday and Sunday.  All my favorites were in the mix.  Good to see Rory playing better too.

Bill - 

• Administrator
7 hours ago, RussUK said:

I think the media did its usual and overhyped Tiger.

I don’t. A Tiger win would have been worldwide news.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Just now, iacas said:

I don’t. A Tiger win would have been worldwide news.

I agree that a Tiger win would be HUGE worldwide news but (not sure if you got similar stuff in the US) all the montage stuff and "year of the Tiger" style stuff we had here was just so OTT. Would have had no effect on Tiger directly but it sure got the crowd pumped up and surely that sense of expectation must have been picked up by Tiger.

Either way, from what i saw of him a win is on the cards this season. 

Russ, from "sunny" Yorkshire = :-( 

In the bag: Driver: Ping G5 , Woods:Dunlop NZ9, 4 Hybrid: Tayormade Burner, 4-SW: Hippo Beast Bi-Metal , Wedges: Wilson 1200, Putter: Cleveland Smartsquare Blade, Ball: AD333

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

I thought it was great, except the last half hour was anti-climactic in a way. I found myself hoping for a 3 or 4 way playoff, and didn't care who was in it. I just didn't want it to end. The R&A guy summed it up perfectly at the trophy ceremony. A great 4 days of golf, each day played in different conditions on a great links course.

• Like 1

PING G400 Max 9*  Taylormade  M2 15*  Callaway Steelhead XR 19* & 22*   Callaway Apex CF-16 5-GW  Callaway MD3 54* & 58*  RIFE 2 Bar Hybrid Mallet 34"

If he won, can Tiger get to 18? in 3... 2... 1...

Steve

Kill slow play. Allow walking. Reduce ineffective golf instruction. Use environmentally friendly course maintenance.

1 hour ago, GrandStranded said:

I thought it was great, except the last half hour was anti-climactic in a way. I found myself hoping for a 3 or 4 way playoff, and didn't care who was in it. I just didn't want it to end. The R&A guy summed it up perfectly at the trophy ceremony. A great 4 days of golf, each day played in different conditions on a great links course.

Usually the British Open is the best competitive wise and drama .Unfortunately its on ugly looking courses.Masters with that drama be awesome.

41 minutes ago, nevets88 said:

If he won, can Tiger get to 18? in 3... 2... 1...

Yes, he can get to 18, but not in the next 3, 2, or 1 majors.  

-- Michael | My swing! 

"You think you're Jim Furyk. That's why your phone is never charged." - message from my mother

Driver:  Titleist 915D2.  4-wood:  Titleist 917F2.  Titleist TS2 19 degree hybrid.  Another hybrid in here too.  Irons 5-U, Ping G400.  Wedges negotiable (currently 54 degree Cleveland, 58 degree Titleist) Edel putter. 

7 hours ago, ChrisP said:

One thing I will say is it's not going to be as easy as it used to be for him. It won't be even as easy as in 2013 when he was in the mix. The fields keep getting deeper and Tiger keeps getting a little older, and age does play a part. It's not to say he can't win, but it's going to be 10x harder to do it than it was 10 years ago for him. But I think if he stays healthy, over the next five years, he'll be in the mix 4 or 5 times, maybe a little more.

He also needs to be able to trust his driver in order to win another major. Most Opens won't be like one this past weekend, and to win the Masters, US Open and PGA, you have to hit your driver straight to avoid the bad stuff, which in Augusta is trees and the US Open/PGA is rough. His putting was a big improvement from previous weeks, but it was still so-so. Probably needs to improve upon that just a little as well.

This Open was the deepest field of the season if not the deepest of the past couple seasons and Tiger, just 12 events back from a couple year layoff, had the solo lead heading into the back 9 on a Sunday...Not saying its going to be easy for him as it isn't for anyone, but his performance (minus a couple holes on the back 9) this weekend was pretty darn good.  It wasn't even anything really special, just good solid golf.  If he can get his driver figured out (IF) he will be in contention a lot I believe.  4 top 10 finishes in 12 events is a pretty good accomplishment so far this year.  He might even squeak out a win this year still.

7 hours ago, DeadMan said:

There's a reasonable probability this was his last good chance to win a major, considering his age and injury history. It was also great conditions for him in that he didn't need to shoot a 65 to win. 

On the other hand, it was terrible conditions for him since he got the worst draw of any of the top ten finishers. 

What if he had gotten Spieth's draw, scored a couple or three better the first two rounds, and then shot the same 66 on Saturday.  If he starts Sunday at 8 under instead of 5 under, and then reaches the turn two under for the round like he did, while Spieth and Kisner are over par like they were, then maybe Molinari and the others would have had to try riskier shots once Tiger hit 10 under and looked like he was running away with it, and maybe Tiger would have been content to cruise in and not have to try super risky shots like that one out of the bunker (which he pulled off) and the flop on 11 (which he didn't).  That's how he and Jack won a lot of their majors.  It may not be as exciting, but it gets results.

Now calm down, I'm not saying he should have won.  I know that everybody out there had their share of bad bounces and putts that missed by an inch. But I am saying that he's shown that he can play well enough to win.   Not just contend, but win, against the strongest field and one of the toughest courses of the year.  And while it's true he's not getting any younger, he seems to be improving faster than he is aging.  That cannot continue indefinitely, but it can continue for four or five years.

If he can stay healthy, which is a huge "if," and if he continues to improve, which seems likely (at least for the near future, although the curve is bound to flatten out) given that he essentially started from zero less than a year ago, then he's got as good a chance as anyone to win a major if he is on his game during a major week.  It's not likely that he will dominate like he used to, not likely that he will get to the point where his B game can beat everybody else's A game unless they have an insane putting streak, but I think there's a good chance that he can get to the point where he's the favorite again -- not just the betting favorite, but the guy with the best chance to win any given week.

In golf, except at the peak of phenoms like Tiger and Jack, the guy with the best chance to win still loses about nine out of ten, so I'm not predicting any nine-win three-major seasons. But I do think he has more than one major win ahead of him.

• Like 1

Note: This thread is 2088 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!