IGNORED

2018 British Open Championship at Carnoustie

Wally Fairway
Note: This thread is 2089 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

22 hours ago, colin007 said:

I'm not goofing, I don't think the strategy works, I honestly think he needs to be more aggressive. I'm super impressed with how far he's come all things considering, but he needs to step on the gas more often.

19 hours ago, Vinsk said:

@brocks damn bro, I really enjoy reading your posts. That being said, I’ve said it ad nauseam but I truly believe Tiger would benefit from a ‘better’ caddie. I’m not a LaCava fan at all. Great guy, just not the right caddie for Tiger. Stevie had his douche moments but I think his attiitide is just better for Tiger. I know Tiger has matured, fatherhood has ‘softened’ him but in a good way. I think Tiger needs someone who he almost feels a sense of true respect to listen to. Stevie really made sure Tiger was focused. Not when Tiger was in his zone..then it’s just being along for the ride. But when things got intense Stevie wa there to keep him focused and keep his confidence strong. Today’s round Tiger asks, ‘ can I hit this club?’ LaCava says, ‘ well, yeah, I mean you might catch a flier, gotta plan for that if you don’t you’re there.’ Something like that. If Tiger asked me ‘can I hit this club’ I would’ve stopped him right there and get his head clear and focused. I dunno, what do you think? Are you ok with LaCava? Would a caddie change make a difference? 

At times like this I think a better caddie would have made a huge difference.  I think if Stevie was still on the bag, he would have insisted on hitting a 3-wood or the driver, JMHO.  

I think LaCava is too soft.  Tiger needs a caddie that can challenge him not a "yes" man.  Again, JMHO.

Don

:titleist: 910 D2, 8.5˚, Adila RIP 60 S-Flex
:titleist: 980F 15˚
:yonex: EZone Blades (3-PW) Dynamic Gold S-200
:vokey:   Vokey wedges, 52˚; 56˚; and 60˚
:scotty_cameron:  2014 Scotty Cameron Select Newport 2

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Regarding Tiger, I was in the "he'll never win another major" camp but now I think, at some point he will. He's getting better. His putting and iron play is sharper and if he'll only get his driver a bit more dependable, he'll definitely win another major or two. Getting to 18, well, we'll just have to see about that. First though, he needs to win...something. The Bum&*@$ Iowa Open would be just fine for now. He also needs to realize he's not 30 years old and doesn't have to prove anything to anyone by trying to hit 350 yard drives. He'll only hurt himself again if he does that. He needs to be like a pitcher who used to win by striking people out but in getting older has to re-learn how to pitch by throwing off-speed and sliders to spots. Similarly, he needs to become more "elegant" in his golf, which he's perfectly capable of doing. He's not a dumbell. He'll figure it out.

Regarding Molinari, I've always admired his swing. To my eye, technically perfect and something to emulate.

Driver, 3W & 4 Hybrid: 2023 :titleist: TSR3 
Irons: 2020 :titleist: T300
Wedges: 2012 :callaway: XTour 56o & 2021 Jaws 60o

Putter: :odyssey: Marxman (Mallet) / :tmade: Juno (Blade) plus 7 or 8 others in a barrel in my basement

44 minutes ago, xrayvizhen said:

First though, he needs to win...something. The Bum&*@$ Iowa Open would be just fine for now. 

I see your point, but I don't think it's applicable to Tiger. This isn't a guy that needs to get a win under a belt to prove something to himself. 

2 hours ago, Big C said:

I see your point, but I don't think it's applicable to Tiger. This isn't a guy that needs to get a win under a belt to prove something to himself. 

I disagree, I think he does! How long has it been since Tiger won anything? Yes, he knows what it "used" to feel like, but he hasn't done it in a while!

If he could have played like Molinari, he might have had a chance. Super steady, no blow ups, and no bogeys over the weekend! Especially on Sunday, when Tiger chopped it up, particularly on 11. Several lapses of judgement on that hole, and his score could have been even worse!

Face it. None of these young guys are "awed" by Tiger any more! He's just some old dude who is still on the tour!

Edited by Buckeyebowman

• Administrator
20 minutes ago, Buckeyebowman said:

Face it. None of these young guys are "awed" by Tiger any more! He's just some old dude who is still on the tour!

That’s not what they say.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

6 hours ago, Shindig said:

Yes, he can get to 18, but not in the next 3, 2, or 1 majors.  

No I doubt that very, very much. I'd be surprised if he won 4 more Tour titles. Has to fix driver, putting not what it was either. Don't take this as a knock. He has more then enough heart, obviously, but he's 42, not 32. Lot of wear and tear on those tires.

6 hours ago, Aflighter said:

Usually the British Open is the best competitive wise and drama .Unfortunately its on ugly looking courses.Masters with that drama be awesome.

...and I'd be just fine with them playing this course every year. Thought Carnoustie was a phenomenal test for the players.

PING G400 Max 9*  Taylormade  M2 15*  Callaway Steelhead XR 19* & 22*   Callaway Apex CF-16 5-GW  Callaway MD3 54* & 58*  RIFE 2 Bar Hybrid Mallet 34"

52 minutes ago, Buckeyebowman said:

He just beat a whole bunch of them in a major tournament. 

Edited by Vinsk

:ping: G25 Driver Stiff :ping: G20 3W, 5W :ping: S55 4-W (aerotech steel fiber 110g shafts) :ping: Tour Wedges 50*, 54*, 58* :nike: Method Putter Floating clubs: :edel: 54* trapper wedge

Nobody is saying Tiger isn't respected by those guys. Heck, most of them grew up idolizing him. But I agree with @Buckeyebowman. They aren't afraid of him like the guys 15-20 years ago were. Tiger had them beat from the parking lot.

PING G400 Max 9*  Taylormade  M2 15*  Callaway Steelhead XR 19* & 22*   Callaway Apex CF-16 5-GW  Callaway MD3 54* & 58*  RIFE 2 Bar Hybrid Mallet 34"

• Administrator
23 minutes ago, GrandStranded said:

Nobody is saying Tiger isn't respected by those guys. Heck, most of them grew up idolizing him. But I agree with @Buckeyebowman. They aren't afraid of him like the guys 15-20 years ago were. Tiger had them beat from the parking lot.

They weren't "afraid" of him then, either.

He was just way, way better.

It's golf. It's not like he's going to cut off their limbs and pillage their homes.

• Thumbs Up 2

Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

9 minutes ago, iacas said:

They weren't "afraid" of him then, either.

He was just way, way better.

It's golf. It's not like he's going to cut off their limbs and pillage their homes.

Agree 100%. He was way better. Yet when they were paired with him on Sunday, they looked like they were getting into the ring with Mike Tyson. A guy would be playing lights out for 3 days, then get paired with him, and put up a 75. That generation was so soft, and beaten down so badly by Tiger, a 60 year old Bernhard Langer is still able to abuse them now that they're playing the Senior Tour. 

Edited by GrandStranded

• Administrator
1 minute ago, GrandStranded said:

Agree 100%. He was way better. Yet when they were paired with him on Sunday, they looked like they were getting into the ring with Mike Tyson. A guy would be playing lights out for 3 days, then get paired with him, and put up a 75. That generation was so soft, and beaten down so badly by Tiger, A 60 year old Bernhard Langer is still able to abuse them now that they're playing the Senior Tour. 

Yeah, no.

The "intimidation" narrative needs to die. It's golf. Tiger didn't "intimidate" people. He just played that much better.

Michael Campbell, YE Yang, Rocco Mediate, Chris DiMarco, Bob May… plenty of guys played well but couldn't edge out Tiger. Sergio, even, in 1999.

The only thing is that Tiger's crowds may have taken some getting used to, and some players weren't used to playing in that environment, but that wasn't Tiger being intimidating. That was the stage. And that stage is still largely the same - Tiger's crowds are still huge and he's still the primary needle mover.

13 minutes ago, iacas said:

Yeah, no.

The "intimidation" narrative needs to die. It's golf. Tiger didn't "intimidate" people. He just played that much better.

Michael Campbell, YE Yang, Rocco Mediate, Chris DiMarco, Bob May… plenty of guys played well but couldn't edge out Tiger. Sergio, even, in 1999.

The only thing is that Tiger's crowds may have taken some getting used to, and some players weren't used to playing in that environment, but that wasn't Tiger being intimidating. That was the stage. And that stage is still largely the same - Tiger's crowds are still huge and he's still the primary needle mover.

You forgot the most famous one, Hal Sutton. Everyone of those you mentioned, and even Hal became famous, because for one day, in one tournament, they amazed everyone for not being intimidated. As far as the crowds, they bothered the other groups more by racing to the next hole to watch Tiger. And even if you are right about the gallery, those guys never got over dealing with the crowd? How weak is that?  

Edited by GrandStranded

• Administrator

You forgot the most famous one, Hal Sutton. Everyone of those you mentioned, and even Hal became famous, because for one day, in one tournament, they amazed everyone for not being intimidated. As far as the crowds, they bothered the other groups more by racing to the next hole to watch Tiger. And even if you are right about them, those guys never got over dealing with the crowd? How weak is that?  

:sigh: Whatever man.

I'm going back to what I said: players weren't intimidated by Tiger Woods. He was just a lot better than they were. He forced them to try to shoot a great score, or to do something they weren't capable of to beat him. I've talked to a number of them about that, and it goes beyond them not wanting to sound like wimps who were "intimidated" by a golfer (it's not like this is boxing or even football).

Tiger was simply better than them. It was that simple. The "intimidation" narrative needs to die. It was never true, and Tiger doesn't need to "get that intimidation level back" or anything else like that. If he can play like he did before, he'll win again like he did before because others will be forced to do things they're not often capable of doing.

1 hour ago, GrandStranded said:

No I doubt that very, very much. I'd be surprised if he won 4 more Tour titles. Has to fix driver, putting not what it was either.

I agree he needs to improve his driving.  I'd be curious what the stat actually is, and that is a subjective opinion.  I don't think his putting is much worse than it was ten years ago.

-- Michael | My swing! 

"You think you're Jim Furyk. That's why your phone is never charged." - message from my mother

Driver:  Titleist 915D2.  4-wood:  Titleist 917F2.  Titleist TS2 19 degree hybrid.  Another hybrid in here too.  Irons 5-U, Ping G400.  Wedges negotiable (currently 54 degree Cleveland, 58 degree Titleist) Edel putter. 

1 minute ago, iacas said:

:sigh: Whatever man.

I'm going back to what I said: players weren't intimidated by Tiger Woods. He was just a lot better than they were. He forced them to try to shoot a great score, or to do something they weren't capable of to beat him. I've talked to a number of them about that, and it goes beyond them not wanting to sound like wimps who were "intimidated" by a golfer (it's not like this is boxing or even football).

Tiger was simply better than them. It was that simple. The "intimidation" narrative needs to die. It was never true, and Tiger doesn't need to "get that intimidation level back" or anything else like that. If he can play like he did before, he'll win again like he did before because others will be forced to do things they're not often capable of doing.

Problem is, no matter what "they" may have said, a lot of people who watched them feel differently. I get what you're saying, and I don't mean it to belittle what Tiger accomplished,  but I don't think that perception will change.

• Administrator

Problem is, no matter what "they" may have said, a lot of people who watched them feel differently. I get what you're saying, and I don't mean it to belittle what Tiger accomplished,  but I don't think that perception will change.

Perception ain't reality.

Just now, iacas said:

Perception ain't reality.

Sometimes it becomes

59 minutes ago, iacas said:

The "intimidation" narrative needs to die. It was never true, and Tiger doesn't need to "get that intimidation level back" or anything else like that. 

Spot on here..........could you say other players felt pressure to play mistake-free golf when going up against Tiger?  Yes, absolutely....but "intimidated"?  No, not really an accurate description of the situation

"Getting paired with you is the equivalent to a two-stroke penalty to your playing competitors"  -- Sean O'Hair to Rory Sabbatini (Zurich Classic, 2011)

Note: This thread is 2089 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!