IGNORED

Are graphite shafts only for old dead people?

Note: This thread is 2113 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

4 minutes ago, iacas said:

No, it’s not that high either.

Well...crumbs...better to err on the side of caution.  I'll take skillful play, every time, over advanced technology.  And I don't think that a golfer wins, or plays well, because they used this putter or that driver.  Is it 99/1, 98/2, 97/3...?   If it doesn't matter what brand you use, at the highest levels of the game; why would it matter at lower levels?  I've played both good rounds, and bad, with borrowed clubs.

In der bag:
Cleveland Hi-Bore driver, Maltby 5 wood, Maltby hybrid, Maltby irons and wedges (23 to 50) Vokey 59/07, Cleveland Niblick (LH-42), and a Maltby mallet putter.                                                                                                                                                 "When the going gets tough...it's tough to get going."

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Graphite shafts aren't just for the oldies. They are great for people who have injuries such as carpal tunnel, recurring tendonitis or golfers elbow as not only are the shafts lighter the material absorbs more of the vibrations from hitting the ball/ground/tree root etc. that would otherwise transfer to the hands and arms when compared to standard steel (you can get inserts to dampen vibration).

No shame in rocking graphite if it helps save the joints and enables a golfer to play longer.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 2

Russ, from "sunny" Yorkshire = :-( 

In the bag: Driver: Ping G5 , Woods:Dunlop NZ9, 4 Hybrid: Tayormade Burner, 4-SW: Hippo Beast Bi-Metal , Wedges: Wilson 1200, Putter: Cleveland Smartsquare Blade, Ball: AD333

Living people are playing brand new hickory-shafted clubs from Louisville Golf and Tad Moore.

Play whatever you enjoy playing the most.

Why would you do anything else?

TaylorMade 300___307cc driver, 13.5°                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                      Top Flite Titanium Intimidator 400___3, 5, 7, 9 woods                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                          Mizuno Fli Hi II___driving iron                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                              Titleist T300___7, 8, 9, PW, AW, GW                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                      Titleist SM6___LW                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                      Tad Moore Chicopee___putter                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                              Titleist Pro V1x___ball

Anyone who thinks graphite shafts are only for older players hasn't been paying attention to the shaft market. Recent graphite iron shafts are nothing like their older "whippy" relatives. These days graphite can be made to respond essentially identically to steel, perhaps better. Graphite shafts can be as stiff as boards while still being as light as feathers or as heavy as premium "tour weight" steel shafts. They can also still be made to hit a ball straight up with a 4-iron (I'm exaggerating, but you get the point). Use what fits your game best, whether that's steel, graphite, hickory, or bamboo.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend.
Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read.
--Groucho Marx

10 hours ago, georgep said:

Anyone who thinks graphite shafts are only for older players hasn't been paying attention to the shaft market.

... or to what shafts pro's are playing. -Marv

DRIVER: Cleveland 588 Altitude ( Matrix Radix Sv Graphite, A) IRONS: Mizuno JPX-800 HD Irons & 3,4,5 JPX Fli-Hi (Grafalloy Prolaunch Blue Graphite, R); WEDGES: (Carried as needed) Artisan Golf 46, 50, 53, 56 low bounce, 56 high bounce; PUTTER: Mizuno TP Mills 9

I still have a little funny chuckle Everytime I read the title of this thread. 

In My Bag:
A whole bunch of Tour Edge golf stuff...... :beer:

Graphite shafts are typically much lighter than steel. If you walk and carry your bag, you will notice the difference in weight. You can get any flex in steel or graphite. However, the stiffer flexes in steel seem to be much heavier than graphite stiff flexes.

Graphite player here. I went and got fitted by a pro and my swing speed along with balls hit at the range showed the graphite was right for me. I’m rocking 4-PW,AW,SW & LW in graphite with my Cleveland CBX’s.  

As that Snickers commercial says..”no regerts”

Edited by vonbonds

:cleveland: Launcher HB driver (9 degree), Launcher HB 3 & 5 woods,  4H Launcher hybrids, CBX 5-GW, 54 & 58 degree wedges, :cleveland: RHO 35” :srixon: Z Star XV 

Like Vonbonds the fitting showed me that I am longer and more accurate with graphite shafts. I am 47yrs old. So I suggest you get fitted and go in with the mindset that whichever shaft gives you the best result with a controlled effortless 80 to 85% percent full swing, is the one you chose. Just remember to swing it that way when you get on the course or driving range.

On 7/4/2018 at 5:43 PM, Piz said:

Well...crumbs...better to err on the side of caution.  I'll take skillful play, every time, over advanced technology.  And I don't think that a golfer wins, or plays well, because they used this putter or that driver.  Is it 99/1, 98/2, 97/3...?   If it doesn't matter what brand you use, at the highest levels of the game; why would it matter at lower levels?  I've played both good rounds, and bad, with borrowed clubs.

The bottom line is to get fit for your clubs to optimize your performance.

A stronger player can play with anything they want if they don’t need their absolute best performance. It’s the players that have slower swing speeds that benefit the most from fittings because even a few yards makes a huge difference to them.

Stiff and Regular don’t mean a lot either.

:ping:  :tmade:  :callaway:   :gamegolf:  :titleist:

TM White Smoke Big Fontana; Pro-V1
TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56
Ping i20 irons U-4, CFS300
Callaway XR16 9 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S
Callaway XR16 3W 15 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S, X2Hot Pro 20 degrees S

"I'm hitting the woods just great, but I'm having a terrible time getting out of them." ~Harry Toscano

10 hours ago, SAGolfLuvr said:

Like Vonbonds the fitting showed me that I am longer and more accurate with graphite shafts. I am 47yrs old. So I suggest you get fitted and go in with the mindset that whichever shaft gives you the best result with a controlled effortless 80 to 85% percent full swing, is the one you chose. Just remember to swing it that way when you get on the course or driving range.

Good point mentioning your age. I’m 46 (47 later this year). You just have to trust in the fitting process and go with what works best for you in the real world. 

:cleveland: Launcher HB driver (9 degree), Launcher HB 3 & 5 woods,  4H Launcher hybrids, CBX 5-GW, 54 & 58 degree wedges, :cleveland: RHO 35” :srixon: Z Star XV 

This thread has answered my question.

Modern graphite can have various flexes, and are not always 1990s fishing pole whips.

My shafts even say "R", so I will keep using them.

They are probably a better fit than my old stiff shaft DCI's, and they are a free $1000 set of irons.

So, I will keep using them!

• Thumbs Up 1

Note: This thread is 2113 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!