Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
Club Rat

Game Golf Smart Caddie App

23 posts / 3780 viewsLast Reply

Recommended Posts

Anyone try the new Smart Caddie App by Game Golf?
It has a "Wind Direction" screen, is this illegally to use?

Wind Direction.PNG

Smart Caddie helps golfers make data-driven decisions as they play. It’s like having your own personal caddie who considers every shot you’ve ever hit, has identified all of your tendencies and accounts for course and weather conditions.

  • Plays Like Distances (as seen on the PGA Tour)
  • Advanced Hole Strategy
  • Real-Time Playing Conditions
  • Club Recommendations for Every Shot

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Plays like distances is probably enough to not allow it.

That having been said, use it in a practice round is fine.  In fact, I'd be tempted to use it in a practice round as I prepare for my club championship next month.

I'd be curious if I can see "advanced hole strategy" without the app.  I just want to see how it'd suggest I play the 4-5 holes in my home course where I've been averaging over bogey this season.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

31 minutes ago, Shindig said:

Plays like distances is probably enough to not allow it.

That having been said, use it in a practice round is fine.  In fact, I'd be tempted to use it in a practice round as I prepare for my club championship next month.

I'd be curious if I can see "advanced hole strategy" without the app.  I just want to see how it'd suggest I play the 4-5 holes in my home course where I've been averaging over bogey this season.

I'd suggest hitting the ball better :-P

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Great idea. I really like the idea. But you can’t use it in competition. Also game golf is an expensive piece of kit. Do I really want to fork out Loren for something I’m never going to get the best use out of?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Yea, I am not paying $5.00 a month for this service.

Its just easier to know the yardages. It's not difficult to know your shot zones by experience.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

3 minutes ago, saevel25 said:

Yea, I am not paying $5.00 a month for this service.

Its just easier to know the yardages. It's not difficult to know your shot zones by experience.

I agree, knowing my yardages is maybe one of the easiest parts of the game. I'm not totally sure who this is marketed for, unless it's more for those people who habitually over estimate their distances. However,  I would think if you actually use GameGolf you would know the actual numbers.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

6 hours ago, Jeremie Boop said:

I agree, knowing my yardages is maybe one of the easiest parts of the game. I'm not totally sure who this is marketed for, unless it's more for those people who habitually over estimate their distances. However,  I would think if you actually use GameGolf you would know the actual numbers.

Based on the available information on the GG website, it generates "plays like" numbers based on real-time wind data and on slope (uphill/downhill).  It should also take into account the altitude of the course, so if you're playing a round in Denver it will automatically calculate your distance gain.

I'm not saying it's worth it (I for one wouldn't pay for it, although I'll probably try the free trial out of curiosity)...but it's definitely going to be capable of providing better information than you'd get even if you know your distances very well...and better information than you could get from even a slope-equipped rangefinder.

Edited by Hardspoon
Denver = "gain", not "loss"

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

1 minute ago, Hardspoon said:

Based on the available information on the GG website, it generates "plays like" numbers based on real-time wind data and on slope (uphill/downhill).  It should also take into account the altitude of the course, so if you're playing a round in Denver it will automatically calculate your distance gain.

I'm not saying it's worth it (I for one wouldn't pay for it, although I'll probably try the free trial out of curiosity)...but it's definitely going to be capable of providing better information than you'd get even if you know your distances very well...and better information than you could get from even a slope-equipped rangefinder.

 

Fair enough, that does give it more benefit.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

9 minutes ago, Jeremie Boop said:

Fair enough, that does give it more benefit.

Dude, WTF, this is an online forum...you're not supposed to agree with people, or change your opinion when presented with new facts.  😉  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

1 minute ago, Hardspoon said:

Dude, WTF, this is an online forum...you're not supposed to agree with people, or change your opinion when presented with new facts.  😉  

I knew I was doing this wrong!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

11 hours ago, Hardspoon said:

Based on the available information on the GG website, it generates "plays like" numbers based on real-time wind data and on slope (uphill/downhill).

How exactly does Game Golf know elevation changes?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

57 minutes ago, billchao said:

How exactly does Game Golf know elevation changes?

GPS would probably have elevation information, I would question the windage accuracy though. I don't think it would be super accurate.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

7 minutes ago, Jeremie Boop said:

GPS would probably have elevation information, I would question the windage accuracy though. I don't think it would be super accurate.

I'm not sure how GPS can tell when a green is 30' above or below you, whether you have an uphill or downhill lie, etc.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

2 minutes ago, billchao said:

I'm not sure how GPS can tell when a green is 30' above or below you, whether you have an uphill or downhill lie, etc.

GPS should have altitude coordinates (X,Y,Z), so it knows where you are and where the green is so it should know if you have an uphill or downhill shot, but I don't know about the uphill/downhill lie part though.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

2 minutes ago, Jeremie Boop said:

GPS should have altitude coordinates (X,Y,Z), so it knows where you are and where the green is so it should know if you have an uphill or downhill shot, but I don't know about the uphill/downhill lie part though.

Really? I didn't know that. I'm not sure I trust it's accuracy. 

GG barely knows where I am sometimes when I use it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  



×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Welcome to TST! Signing up is free, and you'll see fewer ads and can talk with fellow golf enthusiasts! By using TST, you agree to our Terms of Use, our Privacy Policy, and our Guidelines.

The popup will be closed in 10 seconds...