IGNORED

The Match: Tiger vs. Phil Showdown for $9M

jimnm
Note: This thread is 1919 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

On 11/26/2018 at 11:41 AM, Wally Fairway said:

So when do they announce the rematch?

Reveal hidden contents

I have already read some things about a rematch. Rumors maybe, idk. Also read that "if" a rematch takes place, format will most likely be different. Definately no 93 yard tie breaker. More $200K holes. Also it would start earlier in the day, so they wouldn't be in competition with the sun. 

In My Bag:
A whole bunch of Tour Edge golf stuff...... :beer:

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

52 minutes ago, Patch said:

I can't imagine they would try it with other players; nobody brings the interest like Tiger.

Well maybe not as much as Tiger. But I’d watch DJ/Brooks, Reed/Spieth. Hell I’d watch Molinari/Fleetwood.

:ping: G25 Driver Stiff :ping: G20 3W, 5W :ping: S55 4-W (aerotech steel fiber 110g shafts) :ping: Tour Wedges 50*, 54*, 58* :nike: Method Putter Floating clubs: :edel: 54* trapper wedge

11 minutes ago, Vinsk said:

Well maybe not as much as Tiger. But I’d watch DJ/Brooks, Reed/Spieth. Hell I’d watch Molinari/Fleetwood.

I like those pairings and would watch as well. I would also be highly entertained by having a group of regulars behind them. For instance when there was a tweet challenging Charles Barkley that he could not beat double bogey on hole 1, I would have loved to have seen him grab his clubs, do a little warm up and then play number 1. There was plenty of time in between shots to see something like this. How about a scratch and 5 handicap playing right behind from the same tees with stroke play? The problem with the pro am format it that you don’t get to actually see how these guys play on a challenging course.

The whole thing is contrived for TV so why not go whole hog and change the format to create more interaction.

One possibility is what I would call doubling cube match play.  Before every shot a player has the option of doubling the hole.  If he does, his opponent can refuse, and lose the hole right there, or he can accept and the hole counts double.  And a player accepting a double retains the right to redouble his opponent before any of his further shots.  The way it works in backgammon.

Another possibility would be poker golf.  Before each shot there is a betting round, with an ante before the initial tee-off.  Then before each shot a player can check or bet.  His opponent can fold, call or raise.  This would make the scorekeeping method money won, rather than strokes or holes.

Sure it is a little Mickey Mouse, but the whole thing is pretty Mickey anyway.

But then again, what the hell do I know?

Rich - in name only

10 minutes ago, turtleback said:

The whole thing is contrived for TV so why not go whole hog and change the format to create more interaction.

One possibility is what I would call doubling cube match play.  Before every shot a player has the option of doubling the hole.  If he does, his opponent can refuse, and lose the hole right there, or he can accept and the hole counts double.  And a player accepting a double retains the right to redouble his opponent before any of his further shots.  The way it works in backgammon.

Another possibility would be poker golf.  Before each shot there is a betting round, with an ante before the initial tee-off.  Then before each shot a player can check or bet.  His opponent can fold, call or raise.  This would make the scorekeeping method money won, rather than strokes or holes.

Sure it is a little Mickey Mouse, but the whole thing is pretty Mickey anyway.

Tiger draws crowds. Always has. I think some people including Brandlee have forgotten that Tiger was watched in awe due to his dominance in a sport very difficult to dominate. Not because of his character/personality. Despite being this powerful force in the golf world...I think Tiger isn’t the best for these kinds of events at all. Phil, Perez, Daly, Zoeller, Trevino, Player...all love this kind of stuff. I just don’t think it will produce what some people are expecting when it comes to Tiger.

:ping: G25 Driver Stiff :ping: G20 3W, 5W :ping: S55 4-W (aerotech steel fiber 110g shafts) :ping: Tour Wedges 50*, 54*, 58* :nike: Method Putter Floating clubs: :edel: 54* trapper wedge

• Administrator
4 minutes ago, mighty said:

The game has ended, you made profit off the PPV, now release the highlights for the good of the society, damn it 

????

Pretty sure they lost quite a bit of money there.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

13 minutes ago, mighty said:

The game has ended, you made profit off the PPV, now release the highlights for the good of the society, damn it 

There weren’t a lot of highlights FWIW. 

20 hours ago, mighty said:

They were on TNT on Saturday afternoon.

Craig
What's in the :ogio: Silencer bag (on the :clicgear: cart)
Driver: :callaway: Razr Fit 10.5°  
5 Wood: :tmade: Burner  
Hybrid: :cobra: Baffler DWS 20°
Irons: :ping: G400 
Wedge: :ping: Glide 2.0 54° ES grind 
Putter: :heavyputter:  midweight CX2
:aimpoint:,  :bushnell: Tour V4

• 3 weeks later...

Has anyone watched the HBO 24/7 special about The Match?

In my bag:

Driver: Titleist TSi3 | 15º 3-Wood: Ping G410 | 17º 2-Hybrid: Ping G410 | 19º 3-Iron: TaylorMade GAPR Lo |4-PW Irons: Nike VR Pro Combo | 54º SW, 60º LW: Titleist Vokey SM8 | Putter: Odyssey Toulon Las Vegas H7

Wasn't sure about our local service (Frontier).  But got the bill - with the refund. 

for the win

Bill - 

• Administrator
4 hours ago, jamo said:

Has anyone watched the HBO 24/7 special about The Match?

I posted it earlier in the topic. I saw it.

Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

39 minutes ago, iacas said:

I posted it earlier in the topic. I saw it.

I didn’t realize when I posted that it was from before the match so I only scrolled back a few pages checking for other posts about it 🤦‍♂️

In my bag:

Driver: Titleist TSi3 | 15º 3-Wood: Ping G410 | 17º 2-Hybrid: Ping G410 | 19º 3-Iron: TaylorMade GAPR Lo |4-PW Irons: Nike VR Pro Combo | 54º SW, 60º LW: Titleist Vokey SM8 | Putter: Odyssey Toulon Las Vegas H7

• Administrator
GettyImages-1064619864.jpg

It looks like "The Match," featuring Tiger Woods and Phil Mickelson, will return in 2019. And probably...

The Match is returning in 2019 and 2020.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

Note: This thread is 1919 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!