jimnm

Tiger vs. Phil Match Play Showdown for $10M

68 posts in this topic Last Reply

Tiger is still the #1 draw...period Phil is the #2 draw.....A winner take all match...HaHa....Both have already received well over $10 Mil of publicity. This is a no brainer. It is excellent staging by both of them. I see this as the recreation of Shell's Wonderful World of Golf. Have it kick off with the two biggest draws...Very good business plan. IMHO 

Want to hide this ad? Register for free today!

I loved Shell's Wonderful World of Golf. $2,000 for the winner, $1,000 to the loser. (Those were the days.)

I have the Hogan vs Snead video and watch it at least once a year. If Tiger/Phil are producing a new similar series, I don't see how the "winner take all" part is going to fly.

I agree its probably 10 years later than we would have liked BUT they’re both still capable of playing some great golf and I’ll still watch.  Its not like they’re total has beens yet, heck Phil won a WGC not more than a couple months ago

I used to watch the Shell Oil sponsored "wonder world of golf" matches all the time.  I'd certainly tune in to a Tiger Vs Phil match, even today.

1 hour ago, ghalfaire said:

I used to watch the Shell Oil sponsored "wonder world of golf" matches all the time.  I'd certainly tune in to a Tiger Vs Phil match, even today.

I think pairs challenge matches would be fun.  Tiger and Phil take on the world.  Lots of interesting pairings, including some international ones.  Kaymer and Langer.  Sergio and Cabrera-Bello.  Rory and McDowell.  Poulter and Westwood.  

And domestically, Fowler and Spieth.  Johnson and Thomas.  Bubba and Reed.

Just to do some spitballing.

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

If they do this, I think they should modify the Rules of Golf, Phil-style (putting a rolling ball, changing the foliage).  Pay for a mulligan? Maybe include some of the ideas from the Personal Goofy Rules thread (e.g., throwing opponent's ball). 🤣

11 hours ago, ghalfaire said:

That show is what got me interested in golf. Even my Dad, who never played, liked to watch it.

Make them put up their own cash. Have them bring it in a briefcase attached with handcuffs to the scrawny little wrists of their pasty accountants

9 minutes ago, colin007 said:

Make them put up their own cash. Have them bring it in a briefcase attached with handcuffs to the scrawny little wrists of their pasty accountants

Why would this matter? That amount doesn’t matter to them. They’ll make money owning the business.

9 minutes ago, iacas said:

Why would this matter? That amount doesn’t matter to them. They’ll make money owning the business.

I don’t know that it matters very much, especially for these guys.

But if I had the chance to play for a prize put up by somebody else, or to bet and possibly win my competitors money or lose my own money... it makes the competition just a bit more personal and exciting. At least for shit talking purposes, etc...

I get that @sofingaw but you aren’t playing. This is other people and other people’s money. I just don’t think it’s as important as others.

I agree with I am playing. And can lose MY money. This ain’t that.

Patrick Reed comment from the Golf Channel article “I’ll be curious to see it because I feel like one match, 18 holes, not your own money, it’s just kind of an exhibition.”

er... yeah Patrick....it's not just KIND of an exhibition

On ‎7‎/‎10‎/‎2018 at 8:11 AM, iacas said:

Do we know who is putting up the 10 mil?

On 7/9/2018 at 12:07 PM, xrayvizhen said:

If it was Pay per View would anyone watch it? I sure wouldn't. And now that iacas isaid it's a promo for some future business? Screw 'em.

I wouldn't. But then, I don't watch anything that's PPV!

On 7/9/2018 at 12:29 PM, iacas said:

No. The business IS setting up and owning these types of matches.

Oh! Sort of like "Battle at Bighorn, Inc."! Heard some speculation on the radio the other day that if this is successful, what future matches might follow? Maybe somebody had some inside dope? I also heard that Phil and Tiger might have some of their own skin in the game. Just enough to make it hurt a little if they lost it. Considering what you've reported, I guess that means a heavier investment in the business by the losing party.

On 7/10/2018 at 5:01 AM, colin007 said:

As I understand it a lot of the practice rounds played prior to a tournament start involve "personal wagers" between individual players and a lot of money (by my standards anyway) changes hands.  However, for the sort of matches Shell put on, the players are entertainers and ought to get paid, win or lose.  Although they ought to get paid more to win than to loses, and they did.  Like the skins games that used to be televised the money comes from selling advertisements and I'd guess is proportional to the size do the audience the shows would draw.

Just read it will be TV'd during Turkey Day weekend, and is being played at Shadow Creek GC in Vegas. Not sure of the actual play date. Purse has yet to be decided on, but expected to be $10 million as previously reported. 

Might have to see if I can come up with a couple of tickets if they are available. 

Not sure if the pig farm near Shadow Creek is still up and running. A wrong wind direction could cause some foul play.........