IGNORED

The Match: Tiger vs. Phil Showdown for $9M

jimnm
Note: This thread is 1909 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Tiger is still the #1 draw...period Phil is the #2 draw.....A winner take all match...HaHa....Both have already received well over $10 Mil of publicity. This is a no brainer. It is excellent staging by both of them. I see this as the recreation of Shell's Wonderful World of Golf. Have it kick off with the two biggest draws...Very good business plan. IMHO 

I loved Shell's Wonderful World of Golf. $2,000 for the winner, $1,000 to the loser. (Those were the days.)

I have the Hogan vs Snead video and watch it at least once a year. If Tiger/Phil are producing a new similar series, I don't see how the "winner take all" part is going to fly.

Driver, 3W & 4 Hybrid: 2023 :titleist: TSR3 
Irons: 2020 :titleist: T300
Wedges: 2012 :callaway: XTour 56o & 2021 Jaws 60o

Putter: :odyssey: Marxman (Mallet) / :tmade: Juno (Blade) plus 7 or 8 others in a barrel in my basement

I agree its probably 10 years later than we would have liked BUT they’re both still capable of playing some great golf and I’ll still watch.  Its not like they’re total has beens yet, heck Phil won a WGC not more than a couple months ago

Callaway XR 9.5 + 1, Taylormade R15 3 Wood, Burner 3 Rescue, Callaway XHot 5H, Warbird 4H, Nike Vapor Fly 6-AW Irons, Titleist Vokey 54, 60 Wedges, Taylormade Rossa Fontana Putter, Srixon Z-Star Tour Yellow.

Best Score 2017:  82 (Traditions at the Glen, Par 70)

Favorite Course - Conklin Players Club (Par 72) - Best Score 86

I used to watch the Shell Oil sponsored "wonder world of golf" matches all the time.  I'd certainly tune in to a Tiger Vs Phil match, even today.

Butch

1 hour ago, ghalfaire said:

I used to watch the Shell Oil sponsored "wonder world of golf" matches all the time.  I'd certainly tune in to a Tiger Vs Phil match, even today.

I think pairs challenge matches would be fun.  Tiger and Phil take on the world.  Lots of interesting pairings, including some international ones.  Kaymer and Langer.  Sergio and Cabrera-Bello.  Rory and McDowell.  Poulter and Westwood.  

And domestically, Fowler and Spieth.  Johnson and Thomas.  Bubba and Reed.

Just to do some spitballing.

• Thumbs Up 1

But then again, what the hell do I know?

Rich - in name only

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

If they do this, I think they should modify the Rules of Golf, Phil-style (putting a rolling ball, changing the foliage).  Pay for a mulligan? Maybe include some of the ideas from the Personal Goofy Rules thread (e.g., throwing opponent's ball). 🤣

Craig
What's in the :ogio: Silencer bag (on the :clicgear: cart)
Driver: :callaway: Razr Fit 10.5°  
5 Wood: :tmade: Burner  
Hybrid: :cobra: Baffler DWS 20°
Irons: :ping: G400 
Wedge: :ping: Glide 2.0 54° ES grind 
Putter: :heavyputter:  midweight CX2
:aimpoint:,  :bushnell: Tour V4

11 hours ago, ghalfaire said:

That show is what got me interested in golf. Even my Dad, who never played, liked to watch it.

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

Make them put up their own cash. Have them bring it in a briefcase attached with handcuffs to the scrawny little wrists of their pasty accountants

Colin P.

• Administrator
9 minutes ago, colin007 said:

Make them put up their own cash. Have them bring it in a briefcase attached with handcuffs to the scrawny little wrists of their pasty accountants

Why would this matter? That amount doesn’t matter to them. They’ll make money owning the business.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

9 minutes ago, iacas said:

Why would this matter? That amount doesn’t matter to them. They’ll make money owning the business.

I don’t know that it matters very much, especially for these guys.

But if I had the chance to play for a prize put up by somebody else, or to bet and possibly win my competitors money or lose my own money... it makes the competition just a bit more personal and exciting. At least for shit talking purposes, etc...

• Administrator

I get that @sofingaw but you aren’t playing. This is other people and other people’s money. I just don’t think it’s as important as others.

I agree with I am playing. And can lose MY money. This ain’t that.

Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Patrick Reed comment from the Golf Channel article “I’ll be curious to see it because I feel like one match, 18 holes, not your own money, it’s just kind of an exhibition.”

er... yeah Patrick....it's not just KIND of an exhibition

Bill - 

On ‎7‎/‎10‎/‎2018 at 8:11 AM, iacas said:

Do we know who is putting up the 10 mil?

On 7/9/2018 at 12:07 PM, xrayvizhen said:

If it was Pay per View would anyone watch it? I sure wouldn't. And now that iacas isaid it's a promo for some future business? Screw 'em.

I wouldn't. But then, I don't watch anything that's PPV!

On 7/9/2018 at 12:29 PM, iacas said:

No. The business IS setting up and owning these types of matches.

Oh! Sort of like "Battle at Bighorn, Inc."! Heard some speculation on the radio the other day that if this is successful, what future matches might follow? Maybe somebody had some inside dope? I also heard that Phil and Tiger might have some of their own skin in the game. Just enough to make it hurt a little if they lost it. Considering what you've reported, I guess that means a heavier investment in the business by the losing party.

On 7/10/2018 at 5:01 AM, colin007 said:

As I understand it a lot of the practice rounds played prior to a tournament start involve "personal wagers" between individual players and a lot of money (by my standards anyway) changes hands.  However, for the sort of matches Shell put on, the players are entertainers and ought to get paid, win or lose.  Although they ought to get paid more to win than to loses, and they did.  Like the skins games that used to be televised the money comes from selling advertisements and I'd guess is proportional to the size do the audience the shows would draw.

Butch

• 3 weeks later...

Looks like it is Thanksgiving Weekend!

http://www.espn.com/golf/story/_/id/24261904/event-pairing-tiger-woods-phil-mickelson-set-thanksgiving-weekend

Edited by jsgolfer

-Jerry

Driver: Titleist 913 D3 (9.5 degree) – Aldila RIP 60-2.9-Stiff; Callaway Mini-Driver Kura Kage 60g shaft - 12 degree Hybrids: Callway X2 Hot Pro - 16 degree & 23 degree – Pro-Shaft; Callway X2 Hot – 5H & 6H Irons: Titleist 714 AP2 7 thru AW with S300 Dynamic Gold Wedges: Titleist Vokey GW (54 degree), Callaway MackDaddy PM Grind SW (58 degree) Putter: Ping Cadence TR Ketsch Heavy Balls: Titleist Pro V1x & Snell MyTourBall

"Golf is the closest game to the game we call life. You get bad breaks from good shots; you get good breaks from bad shots but you have to play the ball where it lies."- Bobby Jones

Just read it will be TV'd during Turkey Day weekend, and is being played at Shadow Creek GC in Vegas. Not sure of the actual play date. Purse has yet to be decided on, but expected to be $10 million as previously reported. 

Might have to see if I can come up with a couple of tickets if they are available. 

Not sure if the pig farm near Shadow Creek is still up and running. A wrong wind direction could cause some foul play.........

In My Bag:
A whole bunch of Tour Edge golf stuff...... :beer:

• Administrator

Phil should show up dressed as a fire hydrant.

Note: This thread is 1909 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!