IGNORED

Pulled a Groin

iacas
Note: This thread is 2091 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

• Administrator

So, I strained my right groin muscle about a month ago. It was feeling better - I still didn't have full power or speed yet, but it was coming along. I strained it playing soccer.

Last night I really, really strained it. A good amount of pain. I finished the game. I iced it when I got home. I went to bed.

At 5:30 I woke up and knew I was in some trouble. Before, I could walk mostly okay. Today walking was tough. Getting out of bed was tough. Sitting up after sitting down was tough. Coughing or sneezing made it hurt.

It's probably a groin muscle, though IANAD. It's on the inside of my right thigh. Icing it isn't super easy as it feels deep and, well, it's right by my right nut, of course.

Oddly my left arch/foot/heel has been sore the past week or so, perhaps as a reaction of sorts to the right ankle injury I just healed up from? I don't know. That's the least of my concerns now though… I can't really even make a golf swing.

Ugh. It's summer, too.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Yikes :-(  Worst time of year to have an injury too.  I wish you the best in your recovery. 

-- Michael | My swing! 

"You think you're Jim Furyk. That's why your phone is never charged." - message from my mother

Driver:  Titleist 915D2.  4-wood:  Titleist 917F2.  Titleist TS2 19 degree hybrid.  Another hybrid in here too.  Irons 5-U, Ping G400.  Wedges negotiable (currently 54 degree Cleveland, 58 degree Titleist) Edel putter. 

33 minutes ago, iacas said:

So, I strained my right groin muscle about a month ago. It was feeling better - I still didn't have full power or speed yet, but it was coming along. I strained it playing soccer.

Last night I really, really strained it. A good amount of pain. I finished the game. I iced it when I got home. I went to bed.

At 5:30 I woke up and knew I was in some trouble. Before, I could walk mostly okay. Today walking was tough. Getting out of bed was tough. Sitting up after sitting down was tough. Coughing or sneezing made it hurt.

It's probably a groin muscle, though IANAD. It's on the inside of my right thigh. Icing it isn't super easy as it feels deep and, well, it's right by my right nut, of course.

Oddly my left arch/foot/heel has been sore the past week or so, perhaps as a reaction of sorts to the right ankle injury I just healed up from? I don't know. That's the least of my concerns now though… I can't really even make a golf swing.

Ugh. It's summer, too.

Man, that sucks. Take some Advil or something to help you function, but otherwise you should rest it as best you can. Hope it gets better soon.

Bill

“By three methods we may learn wisdom: First, by reflection, which is noblest; Second, by imitation, which is easiest; and third by experience, which is the bitterest.” - Confucius

My Swing Thread

• Administrator
Just now, billchao said:

Man, that sucks. Take some Advil or something to help you function, but otherwise you should rest it as best you can. Hope it gets better soon.

I prefer not to. Despite my degree in medicinal chemistry. :-)

I liken it, for injuries like this, to unplugging the "check engine" light. I want my body to say "no no, that hurts, don't do that."

Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Did the same in my hockey playing days. You cannot rush the return. A slight tear has to 100% heal or you can go right back to square one.

Suck it up and rest.

1 minute ago, iacas said:

I prefer not to. Despite my degree in medicinal chemistry. :-)

I liken it, for injuries like this, to unplugging the "check engine" light. I want my body to say "no no, that hurts, don't do that."

I'm the same way, except when it comes down to not being able to do basic functions. You'll still know you shouldn't be swinging a golf club even if something dulls the pain so you can walk and stand up from a seat. It will still ache and be there to remind you it's damaged.

Once in a while I pull something in my neck and shoulder area. I can't even turn my head to drive without taking an Advil.

Bill

“By three methods we may learn wisdom: First, by reflection, which is noblest; Second, by imitation, which is easiest; and third by experience, which is the bitterest.” - Confucius

My Swing Thread

• Administrator
4 minutes ago, Papa Steve 55 said:

Did the same in my hockey playing days. You cannot rush the return. A slight tear has to 100% heal or you can go right back to square one.

Suck it up and rest.

4-6 weeks most sources seem to say.

But walking, etc. shouldn't actually delay it much. I mean, I'm not gonna be on crutches or anything.

Just now, billchao said:

I'm the same way, except when it comes down to not being able to do basic functions. You'll still know you shouldn't be swinging a golf club even if something dulls the pain so you can walk and stand up from a seat. It will still ache and be there to remind you it's damaged.

I can get up from a chair. I just notice that it's not smooth and easy. It hurts. I do it a bit more slowly.

29 minutes ago, iacas said:

Completely agree with this.

Groin injuries suck.  It always seems like you should be able to just "play through", since the pain only occurs with certain specific movements...but it's just always THERE and seems to get continually re-injured.

- John

That sucks. I hope it heals fast!

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag
Driver; :pxg: 0311 Gen 5,  3-Wood: 
:titleist: 917h3 ,  Hybrid:  :titleist: 915 2-Hybrid,  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel: (52, 56, 60),  Putter: :edel:,  Ball: :snell: MTB,  Shoe: :true_linkswear:,  Rangfinder: :leupold:
Bag: :ping:

Sounds like the original strain was not close to being healed properly, and the second strain just finished off what the first one started. 

Best you go see a doctor. Those groin pulls can easily be small tears that do not heal properly on their own. 

Pulled a groin muscle when I in my mid 20s. Turned out what I thought was a pull, was a tear.  Didn't take care of it properly. Had to have surgery to repair it.

Good luck.

Edited by Patch

In My Bag:
A whole bunch of Tour Edge golf stuff...... :beer:

• Administrator
7 minutes ago, Patch said:

Best you go see a doctor. Those groin pulls can easily be small tears that do not heal properly on their own.

No thanks. It's not a tear and everything I've read backs that up, and also talks about how surgery is the last option.

I assure you it's not some macho thing. It's almost more of a scheduling thing: tomorrow is Sunday, and I have four lessons.  Monday I'm with Natalie in Pittsburgh. Tuesday through Thursday I'm in Boston. Friday and Saturday I have lessons.

9 hours ago, iacas said:

No thanks. It's not a tear and everything I've read backs that up, and also talks about how surgery is the last option.

I assure you it's not some macho thing. It's almost more of a scheduling thing: tomorrow is Sunday, and I have four lessons.  Monday I'm with Natalie in Pittsburgh. Tuesday through Thursday I'm in Boston. Friday and Saturday I have lessons.

Are you wearing a compression wrap? I find these help prevent further strains and provide relief. I’ve tried using Ace style, but they don’t stay in place.

i bought this one a month ago and it works pretty well. I wore it to work for a day after the injury, then for a couple of rounds and practicing. You can’t see it under shorts either.

https://www.amazon.com/Bodymate-Compression-Hamstring-Joints-Sciatica/dp/B01N6DX569

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

• Administrator

No time to order it unfortunately. I guess if I had immediately on Friday night I could have gotten it by Monday. Tue-Thu out of town.

It feels much better today. I’m not gonna push it but sitting or standing creates only mild discomfort. Walking the same. I’m going to continue to ice it when I’m at home.

Sorry to hear that!  Until you've done it, you can't understand how debilitating it is...

I pulled my right groin on the first day of competing in the NCAA Nationals for fencing back in '79.   It was my first time to qualify, we were coming up to an Olympic year, and I didn't know if I'd ever get another chance, so I somehow powered on for 2 more days.  Try doing full speed lunges with a badly pulled groin sometime if you really want to discover a new level of agony.  

Back then, you "played hurt" if you really "cared"...  I won some bouts, but needless to say, I didn't finish highly.

Ugh...!

In David's bag....

Driver: Titleist 910 D-3;  9.5* Diamana Kai'li
3-Wood: Titleist 910F;  15* Diamana Kai'li
Hybrids: Titleist 910H 19* and 21* Diamana Kai'li
Irons: Titleist 695cb 5-Pw

Wedges: Scratch 51-11 TNC grind, Vokey SM-5's;  56-14 F grind and 60-11 K grind
Putter: Scotty Cameron Kombi S
Ball: ProV1

No fun. Welcome to the aging process... This is why quit doing activities outside of golf. Play indoor soccer in the winter and don't chance the injury in the summer. 

"My ball is on top of a rock in the hazard, do I get some sort of relief?"

Hurts like hell, second only to a cracked rib, in my experience. Pulled a groin playing volleyball. I had to reach down and pick up my foot by my pants leg to walk up stairs. Had a standard xmission and couldn't use my right foot on the brake pedal. Not a fun injury, and nothing I could do but go on the DL.

Feel for ya, man.

Wayne

• Administrator
23 minutes ago, Blackjack Don said:

Hurts like hell, second only to a cracked rib, in my experience. Pulled a groin playing volleyball. I had to reach down and pick up my foot by my pants leg to walk up stairs. Had a standard xmission and couldn't use my right foot on the brake pedal. Not a fun injury, and nothing I could do but go on the DL.

Feel for ya, man.

Thanks, but yeah… mine isn't anywhere near that bad. Yours sounds like a Level 3. Like a full on tear or at least a partial tear.

Mine feels 90% today. Very mild discomfort walking (my left arch hurts a bit more than the right leg), and so on. Like I said I'm not gonna be running and jumping, for a few weeks, but otherwise it's not too bad today.

Regardless, putting some ice on it.

Note: This thread is 2091 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!