IGNORED

3 Wood to 5 Iron Gap

Note: This thread is 1300 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Get a fitted 7W, and you'll never have to look back.

In My Bag:
A whole bunch of Tour Edge golf stuff...... :beer:

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

You think I should get a 7-wood @Patch

What's in Shane's Bag?     

Ball: 2022 :callaway: Chrome Soft Triple Track

Driver: :callaway:Paradym Triple Diamond 8° MCA Kai’li 70s FW: :callaway:Paradym Triple Diamond  H: :callaway: Apex Pro 21 20°

I (3-PW) :callaway: Apex 21 UST Recoil 95 (3), Recoil 110 (4-PW). Wedges: :callaway: Jaws Raw 50°, 54°, 60° UST Recoil 110

Putter: :odyssey: Tri-Hot 5K Triple Wide 35”

I don't hit that long, but I carry 3w (15 deg), 5w (18 deg) and 7w (21 deg). All are PING G400 and I love them.

3w goes about 215, 5w 195 and 7w 180 yards (total).

I used to have a 3h and 4i, but for me the woods are much easier to hit than irons or hybrids.

If I were in your situation, I’d go find a club that I can hit straight for 200-215 yards. That way, if you face a tight hole, you can pull out a club you feel confident with that gets you decent distance.

WITB:
Woods: Cleveland Launcher (Driver, 17 degree, 22 degree)
Irons: Titleist T200 (4-PW)
Wedges: Callaway Jaws (50/54/60)
Putter: Odyssey White Hot

I prefer the hybrid over another wood. I think it's a more flexible club to use, and more consistent. 

• Like 2

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag
Driver; :pxg: 0311 Gen 5,  3-Wood: 
:titleist: 917h3 ,  Hybrid:  :titleist: 915 2-Hybrid,  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel: (52, 56, 60),  Putter: :edel:,  Ball: :snell: MTB,  Shoe: :true_linkswear:,  Rangfinder: :leupold:
Bag: :ping:

• iacas changed the title to 3 Wood to 5 Iron Gap
11 hours ago, saevel25 said:

I prefer the hybrid over another wood. I think it's a more flexible club to use, and more consistent. 

This has always been my thinking. I’ve played around with the idea of taking out the hybrid and adding another wood, but I’ve never been able to let go of the utility and flexibility of the hybrid.

@Alex37 late to the game here but I would first get on a Trackman when looking at whatever club combinations you want to review.  That will give you the carry distance to help fill the gaps.

I do not hit a hybrid, tried them many times but just never had consistency with them.  That untimely hook is a big item and once it happens it was always in the back of my head. 

Instead I hit a Utility Irons and I have found them to be even more flexible then a hybrid or a fairway wood.  I had the 7 Wood at one time but a Utility Iron is so much easier to hit out of thick dense rough.  They get thru it and do not get hung up in it.  Easier to get down into the ball.  For me they do not bring in that untimely hood that a hybrid did.

Plus when you are in tree jail and you have to try and run a shot under the tree that 3 or 2 Utility Iron really does a fantastic job.  Not quite a get out of tree jail for free card but they will help minimize the damage.

Lots of great ideas for you, just find a way to get on a Trackman so that particular day you know your carry with the 5 iron and 3 Wood and you can fit whatever club or clubs you need.

I currently bag a 5 Wood, 2 Utility & 3 Utility followed by a 5 iron. No gaping issues for me with this set up. 

- Dean

Driver: PXG GEN3 Proto X Mitsubishi Tensei CK Pro Orange
Fairway wood: 5 Wood PXG 0341 GEN2 hzrdus smoke yellow

2 Iron PXG XP Evenflow Blue

3 Utility Iron Srixon 3 20*
Irons:  5 thru PW PXG GEN3 XP Steelfiber 95 -  Wedges: Mizuno T7 48, 52, 56 and 60 Recoil 110 shafts 6
Putter: In search of the Holy Grail Ball: Snell MTBx

May I ask a question of the Sand Trap Universe? I’m a hypothetical male golfer who drives carries his driver 250 yards, my 3-wood 225, my 5-iron/hybrid: 185 yards

Could one in that end of the bag only add say a 4-hybrid that carries around 200? Or would we add 2 clubs at that part of the bag?

What's in Shane's Bag?     

Driver: :callaway:Paradym Triple Diamond 8° MCA Kai’li 70s FW: :callaway:Paradym Triple Diamond  H: :callaway: Apex Pro 21 20°

I (3-PW) :callaway: Apex 21 UST Recoil 95 (3), Recoil 110 (4-PW). Wedges: :callaway: Jaws Raw 50°, 54°, 60° UST Recoil 110

2 hours ago, onthehunt526 said:

May I ask a question of the Sand Trap Universe? I’m a hypothetical male golfer who drives carries his driver 250 yards, my 3-wood 225, my 5-iron/hybrid: 185 yards

Could one in that end of the bag only add say a 4-hybrid that carries around 200? Or would we add 2 clubs at that part of the bag?

I have a 5wood here instead and my shotscope stats give your distance.

My 22 degree hybrid seem to be more like your 5 iron goes a little bit further not much. My 18 degree 5 wood sits nicely and is more fun to hit and do 200 with ease. Heck on monsterhits it sneaks close to my 15.5 3wood.

It requires a bit more driver like swing though. Not yet fully figure my hybrid out but its operable at least. 

3 hours ago, onthehunt526 said:

Don't you have a 2 and a 3 iron that you've said you hit well?

Colin P.

1 minute ago, colin007 said:

Don't you have a 2 and a 3 iron that you've said you hit well?

I do have a 2 and 3 iron I hit well, but I’m also not that hypothetical golfer.

What's in Shane's Bag?     

ME: 

5-I = 175

4-I = 187

4-H = 200

3-W = 230

YMMV

Driver, 3W & 4 Hybrid: 2023 :titleist: TSR3 
Irons: 2020 :titleist: T300
Wedges: 2012 :callaway: XTour 56o & 2021 Jaws 60o

Putter: :odyssey: Marxman (Mallet) / :tmade: Juno (Blade) plus 7 or 8 others in a barrel in my basement

On 8/9/2020 at 10:52 AM, onthehunt526 said:

I'm pretty close to those yardages and added a 3 hybrid that took the place of my 3 iron this year. I can hit my 4 iron around 180-190 yards and the 3 hybrid filled in the gap from 185-200 yards.

I'm still not real comfortable hitting the hybrid though.

-Craig-

In my bag:

:callaway: XR-16 Driver 10.5° :callaway: Epic Flash 3W, Big Bertha Steelhead 5W

:callaway: X Hot 3 hybrid :callaway: Steelhead X-14 irons 4i-PW,SW spacer.pngCG14 GW, LW  ping-logo1.png.f020c6ba3751388e4eea3481be9cfca6.pngTyne 4 putter

Find them quite tricky. Hit them like an iron or flatter like a wood? Also my G400 hybrid has no swing weight which helps swing speed but makes me nervous. Also it just dont have a good feeling to it. Proper Woods are so fun to hit. 

It's the GAP of distance you're looking for, then no one could help you but yourself.  Since you're the only one who'll know which cub to fill between the 200 yd.-240 yd.

It may be two clubs for 215, 225/230, oe just one for the general between the 200-240 if you don't need precision yardage.

I feel the hybrids will have better control and give you more consistent yardage than the fairway woods could.  Being closer to the irons.....

However, not many could take away or add a 5 yards for distance over 170 no matter what type of golf club in their hands.  Only the few who could play 170-200 like the average golfer's 120-150 control .  Keep it in mind of what type of shots you'll need to use the extra club for ?    Mostly from the tee ?  From the fairway or combination of fairway and more challenging lie ?

In the 70's and the 80's I bag the driver, 3 wood, putter and 1-SW .  But the loft on the irons were quite a bit weaker than today's "longer" irons.

• Like 1

On 7/13/2018 at 9:17 AM, Alex37 said:

Hi everyone, 

I am looking for a club or clubs to fill the gap between my 15* 3 wood and my 21.5* 5 iron. I carry my 3 wood about 240-245 and carry my 5 iron about 200. I am looking at an 18* 5 wood, 19* 3 hybrid, and 22* 4 hybrid. What club or combo would you suggest to fill the 40 yard gap? Thanks in advance!

So do you need the club that fills your stated clubs to hold greens (are you going to hit into the greens / all carry)? Or are you fine with some roll out?

Hold greens > properly fitted hybrid ~19/20 degrees loft. Some rolll out ok / does not hit directly into a green > properly fitted 5 wood/~17-18 degrees loft. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/15/2020 at 9:33 AM, Release said:

However, not many could take away or add a 5 yards for distance over 170 no matter what type of golf club in their hands.  Only the few who could play 170-200 like the average golfer's 120-150 control .  Keep it in mind of what type of shots you'll need to use the extra club for ?    Mostly from the tee ?  From the fairway or combination of fairway and more challenging lie ?

In the 70's and the 80's I bag the driver, 3 wood, putter and 1-SW .  But the loft on the irons were quite a bit weaker than today's "longer" irons.

The 170-yard point is where average golfers have 3 clubs that go the same distance, your 5-iron, 4-iron, and hybrid.

I think golf has too gotten complicated for it's own good. In the 1970s and 80s this wouldn't be a problem, because if you were an average male golfer, You would build your set in 1 of 2 ways: Driver, 3-wood, 1-PW, SW, Putter (maybe 2-PW, SW, LW, D, 3w, Putter in the later 80s) or Driver, 3-wood, 4-wood, 2-PW, SW, Putter. (maybe 5-wood in place of the 4-wood in the later 80s, and 3-PW, SW, LW for irons).

I think I've come up with a general solution to this conundrum. If you hit your driver less than 200 yards, What are you doing with a 5-iron in the bag anyway. (Should be a hybrid or at least a hybrid iron). you only need 1 club between 3-wood and your 5-iron equivalent.

200: Some sort of hybrid or lofted wood

225: a wood and hybrid or 2 hybrids

250: lofted wood and hybrid or 2 hybrids or hybrid and utility iron

275: What ever the hell you want.

What's in Shane's Bag?     

Note: This thread is 1300 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!