IGNORED

Has this ever happened to you? What should I do?

GolfMakesMeCry
Note: This thread is 2068 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Hello all,

I am brand new here and I guess my screen handle sums up the mood I was in on creating my account. That said, I've been taking lessons recently. Then, began hitting it better. I have even begun hitting driver somewhat consistently after having not been able to drive the ball for over a decade (wish I took a lesson sooner).  I made the first two birdies of my life... Yes!!  I went out and got a new set of irons I love because I got tired of playing with game improvement shovels. I got fitted for them. Hit many many many balls during the two part fitting process. Trajectory was great. Dispersion was good - considering continual work on my swing would narrow that range... Overall, it felt real good.

Came home with new clubs yesterday - excited! It rained so I couldn't hit the range immediately after completely my purchase.  Went out this morning and the only club I was able to hit was the AW (didn't try any other wedges or short irons).  My driving was beyond horrible. I went from finally hitting 250 and straight to topping the ball 10 and 15 yards.  These weird low 60 yard slices... 7 iron (the same club I fell in love with during fitting) was equally bad and the best shot I could manage was a 110 yard slice...

Has anyone else every experienced taking lessons, getting much better, then regressing to the point where you can't advance the ball without a putter?  I got so angry and frustrated while embarrassing the holy crap out of myself at my CC that tears literally welled up in my eyes.  Smh. Can anyone relate? Thanks for listening.

18 minutes ago, GolfMakesMeCry said:

Hello all,

I am brand new here and I guess my screen handle sums up the mood I was in on creating my account. That said, I've been taking lessons recently. Then, began hitting it better. I have even begun hitting driver somewhat consistently after having not been able to drive the ball for over a decade (wish I took a lesson sooner).  I made the first two birdies of my life... Yes!!  I went out and got a new set of irons I love because I got tired of playing with game improvement shovels. I got fitted for them. Hit many many many balls during the two part fitting process. Trajectory was great. Dispersion was good - considering continual work on my swing would narrow that range... Overall, it felt real good.

Came home with new clubs yesterday - excited! It rained so I couldn't hit the range immediately after completely my purchase.  Went out this morning and the only club I was able to hit was the AW (didn't try any other wedges or short irons).  My driving was beyond horrible. I went from finally hitting 250 and straight to topping the ball 10 and 15 yards.  These weird low 60 yard slices... 7 iron (the same club I fell in love with during fitting) was equally bad and the best shot I could manage was a 110 yard slice...

Has anyone else every experienced taking lessons, getting much better, then regressing to the point where you can't advance the ball without a putter?  I got so angry and frustrated while embarrassing the holy crap out of myself at my CC that tears literally welled up in my eyes.  Smh. Can anyone relate? Thanks for listening.

First, welcome to TST! :beer:

We all have variations in our games, its part of golf, although most aren't quite as wild as yours.  I'm wondering whether, in your excitement over your new clubs, maybe you regressed a bit back to your "old swing."   The changes you've made through your lessons need continual reinforcement for a good while before they become automatic.  Next time on the range, do whatever drills your instructor has had you do, double check your grip, set-up, alignment, do the basic things right, and do your best to swing your "new" way.  Your improvement isn't lost, it just took a day off.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 2
  • Upvote 1

Dave

:callaway: Rogue SubZero Driver

:titleist: 915F 15 Fairway, 816 H1 19 Hybrid, AP2 4 iron to PW, Vokey 52, 56, and 60 wedges, ProV1 balls 
:ping: G5i putter, B60 version
 :ping:Hoofer Bag, complete with Newport Cup logo
:footjoy::true_linkswear:, and Ashworth shoes

the only thing wrong with this car is the nut behind the wheel.

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Sometimes you have bad days.  Go back to your notes or video from the lesson -- I suspect, as Dave points out, you've reverted to something before the lesson.

My instructor has pointed out several times where I go back to an old habit.  He says it nicely but I can imagine him thinking "hey man, how many times did I tell you this?"

My point is, it happens.  Go back to your notes, give it a day, you'll be fine.  

Congratulations on your two birdies by the way. 

• Thumbs Up 1

-- Michael | My swing! 

"You think you're Jim Furyk. That's why your phone is never charged." - message from my mother

Driver:  Titleist 915D2.  4-wood:  Titleist 917F2.  Titleist TS2 19 degree hybrid.  Another hybrid in here too.  Irons 5-U, Ping G400.  Wedges negotiable (currently 54 degree Cleveland, 58 degree Titleist) Edel putter. 

Be of good cheer.  Lessons, practice, new clubs, and new expectations, can overload one's golf circuits at times.  Log off and reboot.  Those birdies didn't happen by accident...you made them happen...and you can make them happen again.

• Thumbs Up 1

In der bag:
Cleveland Hi-Bore driver, Maltby 5 wood, Maltby hybrid, Maltby irons and wedges (23 to 50) Vokey 59/07, Cleveland Niblick (LH-42), and a Maltby mallet putter.                                                                                                                                                 "When the going gets tough...it's tough to get going."

8 minutes ago, Piz said:

Be of good cheer.  Lessons, practice, new clubs, and new expectations, can overload one's golf circuits at times.  Log off and reboot.  Those birdies didn't happen by accident...you made them happen...and you can make them happen again.

Thanks for all the replies but this reply makes the most sense. This is pure gold. This forum is awesome.

I never thought of it that way. I've had a club in my hand every day except 1 over the last 18 days.  Lessons, and the EXPECTATIONS that come with it and these new clubs may have me short circuiting.  I did make that first birdie prior to my first lesson.  7 iron on a 155 yard par 3. Knocked it 3 feet - dead stiff. 

I'm going to skip playing golf this weekend entirely. My home club is closed on Monday so I won't pick up a club until Tuesday afternoon at best. Thanks a millino! 

• Like 1

Hi all, made sense to make my first post be a reply to another first timer! Golf is the funniest game. I played my worst ever competitive round last year, 11 s-ford points after 18. Clubs nearly went in the lake at the 18th. I refrained, played the following day having not done a tap of practice. 16hours later i walked off 18 31 shots better. Again, funny game, just try keep the head, stay calm, stay happy, sprinkle in a little patience and the rest tends to fall into place itself. 🙂

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, GolfMakesMeCry said:

Thanks for all the replies but this reply makes the most sense. This is pure gold. This forum is awesome.

Best of luck, and come back -- we'll be with you in your journey. 

-- Michael | My swing! 

"You think you're Jim Furyk. That's why your phone is never charged." - message from my mother

Driver:  Titleist 915D2.  4-wood:  Titleist 917F2.  Titleist TS2 19 degree hybrid.  Another hybrid in here too.  Irons 5-U, Ping G400.  Wedges negotiable (currently 54 degree Cleveland, 58 degree Titleist) Edel putter. 

Loving these names @Darth_Fader and @GolfMakesMeCry! 😁

Golf is not easy. It’s just one of those things you do where it’s best to have no expectations. Don’t think you can hit 250, don’t worry about bad shots because they inexplicably happen. Just walk out without feeling like you need to perform any level.

Enjoy the sport for what it is :-)

• Like 1

:ping:  :tmade:  :callaway:   :gamegolf:  :titleist:

TM White Smoke Big Fontana; Pro-V1
TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56
Ping i20 irons U-4, CFS300
Callaway XR16 9 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S
Callaway XR16 3W 15 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S, X2Hot Pro 20 degrees S

"I'm hitting the woods just great, but I'm having a terrible time getting out of them." ~Harry Toscano

I'm 58 years old.  Been playing since I was about 17.  Took my 1st lessons about 5 years ago.

The 1st two years were absolute Hell.  trying to un-learn 30-some years of bad form.

Finally now, the lesson have become fully ingrained for my shots.  I'm not having to do a mental checklist for every shot.  I'm not having to replace my golf glove every few weeks due to a worn out heel.  I'm hitting the ball farther than I ever have.

I still have some blowup holes...that's why my handicap isn't coming down as much as I'd like.

Stick with it...you'll get there.  

• Like 1

I played 2 balls per hole yesterday (nobody else on course, not holding anyone up.) for 9 holes

Ball 1 - 46 (which is pretty good for me)

Ball 2 - 55 (which is pretty bad for me)

• Like 1

Always remember, the same country that invented golf and called it a game, invented bag pipes and called it music.

If knocking about solo I might play match play, premium ball v mid range, same brand if possible (pro v1x v nxt s, etc). Not sure if ties in with less fear of losing, or other mental hang ups, but mid range normally wins! 🙄  On op, I think there's always a little honeymoon period with any new swing, irons, putter, whatever...but for every action there is an equal and opposite reaction :/

@LihuThanks!  Was a tough call between Han Solo at address, Princess Lei-up and ProV1 Kenobi. The last was the best tbf, alas not one I came up with myself! 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, GolfMakesMeCry said:

Hello all,

I can relate 100%. I’ve had the shanks since about 1990-91. I’ve had periods where I’ll play Sat-Sun and shoot 75 Saturday then 90 on Sunday. I’ve hit 2 large buckets where my shots look like I’m a scratch golfer only to go try to enjoy 9 holes and hit nothing but shanks. Golf is the greatest and most fulfilling disaster of my life. I wouldn’t give it up for anything.

:ping: G25 Driver Stiff :ping: G20 3W, 5W :ping: S55 4-W (aerotech steel fiber 110g shafts) :ping: Tour Wedges 50*, 54*, 58* :nike: Method Putter Floating clubs: :edel: 54* trapper wedge

1 hour ago, Darth_Fader said:

If knocking about solo I might play match play, premium ball v mid range, same brand if possible (pro v1x v nxt s, etc). Not sure if ties in with less fear of losing, or other mental hang ups, but mid range normally wins! 🙄  On op, I think there's always a little honeymoon period with any new swing, irons, putter, whatever...but for every action there is an equal and opposite reaction 😕

@LihuThanks!  Was a tough call between Han Solo at address, Princess Lei-up and ProV1 Kenobi. The last was the best tbf, alas not one I came up with myself! 

Princess LeiUp? 😂

:ping:  :tmade:  :callaway:   :gamegolf:  :titleist:

TM White Smoke Big Fontana; Pro-V1
TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56
Ping i20 irons U-4, CFS300
Callaway XR16 9 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S
Callaway XR16 3W 15 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S, X2Hot Pro 20 degrees S

"I'm hitting the woods just great, but I'm having a terrible time getting out of them." ~Harry Toscano

6 hours ago, GolfMakesMeCry said:

I've had a club in my hand every day except 1 over the last 18 days. 

I don't know how old you are or what kind of shape you are in, but I found that if I play too much my game can regress. I think that I wear myself out as well as loose concentration. I am 53 yo and in fairly decent shape, but every other day is good for me or two on with one or two off. I wish I could play every day. Hang in there, it will get better. 

Keep your head up! Last week i shot 72 on Saturday and followed it with an 84 on Sunday. Could not hit the driver into the ocean on Sunday. It happens to all of us in one way or another. Doesn’t matter what your handicap is or how well you hit it on the range. All you can do is play the game. It’s part of the game that makes it so great and so aggravating.

My bag:

Taylor Made R7 (x-stiff).
Taylor Made Burner 2 irons (stiff)
Cleveland Wedges (gap and 60)
Odyssey two ball putter (white) 

Just now, Carl3 said:

I don't know how old you are or what kind of shape you are in, but I found that if I play too much my game can regress. I think that I wear myself out as well as loose concentration. I am 53 yo and in fairly decent shape, but every other day is good for me or two on with one or two off. I wish I could play every day. Hang in there, it will get better. 

This is a point. When you reach a certain age, too much can be too much! A couple of years ago my buddy's Son had a week off, I had some gift certs to some local courses, so we golfed it up! We played 5+ rounds that week as we went for 27 some days.

At the end of that week I was wiped out! I'm in my 60's, so I'm sure you can understand.

The course, the game, your self, changes day by day. You can't expect to have the same game every day.

It's like Plato said. "It's impossible to step into the same stream twice!"

@Buckeyebowman  You're 100% right there, and not even strictly age related, tho clearly it helps. Drove from one end of Ireland to the other last year to watch the Irish Open with lil brother. Upon checking in after a near 6 hour drive, we decided to make the hour drive to Ballyliffen GC (this years Irish Open venue, breath-taking). Suffice to say between the driving, the travel-related aggro (and wind!), I seemed to simply forget how to swing a club,as in, fully forgot. Not only was I physically up in arms, my putting was very wild, something I attributed to being generally frazzled. Still, the scenery was amazing, great watching a 15 year old unleash 350-yd (downwind :P) drives and the fact we were told we'd spent enough on petrol helped add to the enjoyment. Would feel much happier playing a rugby game after a bad nights sleep and a long-a*s drive, than a round of golf, too many minor things that need be working, pysically and mentally. Makes me realise how tough those latter stage of match-play days are with 2 (sometimes 18+ hole) rounds to get through, with all the associated stress pro golf brings too...Hardy..

Note: This thread is 2068 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!