IGNORED

What is your driver loft?

scotth
Note: This thread is 2073 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

What loft is your driver?  

71 members have voted

1. 1. What loft is your driver?

Titleist 910, 9.5 degrees, set to 3/4 degree more loft, so 10.25.  Swing speed just under 100 last time I was on any kind of monitor.

Dave

:callaway: Rogue SubZero Driver

:titleist: 915F 15 Fairway, 816 H1 19 Hybrid, AP2 4 iron to PW, Vokey 52, 56, and 60 wedges, ProV1 balls 
:ping: G5i putter, B60 version
 :ping:Hoofer Bag, complete with Newport Cup logo
:footjoy::true_linkswear:, and Ashworth shoes

the only thing wrong with this car is the nut behind the wheel.

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I recently switched from 10.5 to 9.5 because I was launching too high, IMHO. SS is 95, and my distance is about the same, I guess I get more roll out.

I stopped carrying a driver 10 years ago. My driving club is Callaway Big Bertha 3-wood, 15 degrees, with the stock Callaway Graphite shaft Firm. 250+ off the tee, and nearly always in the fairway. My previous driver was a Taylor Made Burner Bubble, 9.5 degrees, the added length never made up for keeping it in the fairway consistently. The advice I got from an old teacher, "If you want to improve your driving, keep the driver in the bag, hit the 3-wood". It was good advice, and improved my game. I doubt I will ever go back to hitting a 1.

21 minutes ago, BillBuckeye said:

I stopped carrying a driver 10 years ago. My driving club is Callaway Big Bertha 3-wood, 15 degrees, with the stock Callaway Graphite shaft Firm. 250+ off the tee, and nearly always in the fairway. My previous driver was a Taylor Made Burner Bubble, 9.5 degrees, the added length never made up for keeping it in the fairway consistently. The advice I got from an old teacher, "If you want to improve your driving, keep the driver in the bag, hit the 3-wood". It was good advice, and improved my game. I doubt I will ever go back to hitting a 1.

How far off-line was your driver that the decreased distance of your next shot didn't make up for not being in the fairway?  

-- Michael | My swing! 

"You think you're Jim Furyk. That's why your phone is never charged." - message from my mother

Driver:  Titleist 915D2.  4-wood:  Titleist 917F2.  Titleist TS2 19 degree hybrid.  Another hybrid in here too.  Irons 5-U, Ping G400.  Wedges negotiable (currently 54 degree Cleveland, 58 degree Titleist) Edel putter. 

Callaway BB Epic 10.5 deg set to 11.5 deg stiff shaft. 

I recently bought a SuperSpeed Radar device that read 104mph on course. Not sure I believed is was that fast though.

Jim Morgan

Driver: :callaway: GBB Epic Speed 10.5 deg Reg
Woods: 3W :callaway: Epic Flash 15 deg, Heavenwood:callaway:GBB 20 deg
4 Hybrid: :callaway:  Epic Flash 21 deg, 5 Hybird: :callaway: Apex 24 deg
Irons: :ping: G425 Graphite 6-SW, Wedges: :ping: Glide 58 deg
Putter: :bettinardi: Armlock  :aimpoint: Express
 :titleist: golf bag, Blue Tees RF

@scotth, Just to throw this out there: what about your tee height and ball position?

Those will affect your launch angle as well. 

Craig
What's in the :ogio: Silencer bag (on the :clicgear: cart)
Driver: :callaway: Razr Fit 10.5°  
5 Wood: :tmade: Burner  
Hybrid: :cobra: Baffler DWS 20°
Irons: :ping: G400 
Wedge: :ping: Glide 2.0 54° ES grind 
Putter: :heavyputter:  midweight CX2
:aimpoint:,  :bushnell: Tour V4

1 hour ago, Shindig said:

How far off-line was your driver that the decreased distance of your next shot didn't make up for not being in the fairway?  

It was far enough off line to put it in the rough or behind a tree. Typically the worst position I end up with with my 3-wood is rolling through the fairway and into the light rough. Given the loss of 20-30 yards and better position, I will continue to hit my 3 off the tee. It's all a matter of risk/reward. To me, the reward of the 25 extra yards, does not warrant the risk of the poor position I could put myself into. With few exceptions (really none I can recall) reaching a par 4 in 2, or par 5 in 3 can be accomplished without hitting a driver. I hit the shot I know I can hit, confidence is a huge factor.

Mine is marked 10.5, but with my ball position, and release it's playing at something else. I know it's not 10.5.

In My Bag:
A whole bunch of Tour Edge golf stuff...... :beer:

9.5 loft, probably around 110 ss... Used to use a driver set at 7 3/4 loft but my current ones loft is more accurate. Actual loft of drivers are not always the most accurate. I try to hit on the upswing so lower loft is used to keep the ball flight at a good launch angle. 

"My ball is on top of a rock in the hazard, do I get some sort of relief?"

10.5 deg loft, UST ProForce V2 shaft, R flex

Carry on my wayward drive

There'll be pars when you are done

Lay your weary wedge to rest

Don't you shank no more 

Don't purchase a new, or used, driver until you've shopped Driver Loft!  Our expert sales staff, and proprietary fitting technology, make a visit to our store a hole in one for any golfer in search of distance, accuracy, and competitive pricing.  Driver Loft:  Upstairs and Out of Sight.

In der bag:
Cleveland Hi-Bore driver, Maltby 5 wood, Maltby hybrid, Maltby irons and wedges (23 to 50) Vokey 59/07, Cleveland Niblick (LH-42), and a Maltby mallet putter.                                                                                                                                                 "When the going gets tough...it's tough to get going."

18 hours ago, Missouri Swede said:

@scotth, Just to throw this out there: what about your tee height and ball position?

Those will affect your launch angle as well. 

I wondered about those also.  That was why I took a lesson from the teaching pro that helped me so much last summer.  He had me hit a bunch of balls with my driver and then his older Ping driver with a 12 degree loft.  Huge difference with tee height and ball position the same for each club.  So while I don't think that is the problem, I haven't completely ruled it out.  

The session did me think that I either have the wrong loft, or perhaps even wrong shaft with the wrong kick point.  It's just tough figuring it out with the very limited availability of demo clubs for lefties and shaft configurations in the area we currently live.  

Will get a proper fitting with more resources when we move in September.  Pretty sure will have many more options for equipment and facilities when we get to Las Vegas.

14 hours ago, Piz said:

Don't purchase a new, or used, driver until you've shopped Driver Loft!  Our expert sales staff, and proprietary fitting technology, make a visit to our store a hole in one for any golfer in search of distance, accuracy, and competitive pricing.  Driver Loft:  Upstairs and Out of Sight.

Soon as we move and get settled in will be visiting some place in Las Vegas to get a fitting for a driver.  All recommendations on where are of course appreciated.

In my bag: All Lefty clubs
Goldsmith driver I built 10 degree reg flex, Orlimar 14 degree 3 wood, 7 wood
Cobra Oversize 3 and 4 iron; Gigagolf Ion Control 5 iron through PW firm flex and 1 inch over with 3 degrees upright
Golfsmith SW that I built, steel shaft reg flex, Cleveland Tour Action Raw 60 with dynamic golf stiff
Scotty Cameron Teryllium Newport putter

9.5, in the past have had as low as 9 and as high as 10.5. I prefer 9, and the Ping G25 I had that was 9 I have done the best with overall. If only the who set of clubs I had at that time weren't stolen...

KICK THE FLIP!!

In the bag:
:srixon: Z355

:callaway: XR16 3 Wood
:tmade: Aeroburner 19* 3 hybrid
:ping: I e1 irons 4-PW
:vokey: SM5 50, 60
:wilsonstaff: Harmonized Sole Grind 56 and Windy City Putter

In my first four years or so, my driver was a 10.5. I had always figured my swing speed was slow and that I really needed that loft (or maybe more). Then, two days before the club championship the head of my driver snapped off the shaft. The emergency replacement was a 9.5 and I was pretty surprised to find that I hit it much better. It's been in the bag every since.

Edited by mcanadiens

10.5 with an 88 mph driver ss.  Higher than a line drive but not a high ball hitter and I do get a fair bit of roll out.  

On 7/19/2018 at 8:54 AM, MarvChamp said:

11.5 in Callaway, Nike set to 12. Yeah, most of us need a bit more loft, I think. Best, -Marv

This is true.  I play a 12* driver, and it's not too much loft.  In the thousands of golf ball fittings I have done, I can count on one hand the number of players that launched the ball too high.  Almost everyone launches the ball too low and would benefit from a higher lofted driver.

Bridgestone j40 445 w/ Graphite Design AD DJ-7
Callaway Steelhead Plus 3 wood w/ RCH Pro Series 3.2
Adams Idea Pro hybrids (3 & 4) w/ Aldila VS Proto 
Bridgestone j33 CB (5-PW) w/ original Rifle 5.5
Bridgestone West Coast 52*, j40 satin 56* & 60* w/ DG S-300
Odyssey White Hot XG #9
Bridgestone B330-RX

53 minutes ago, 1badbadger said:

This is true.  I play a 12* driver, and it's not too much loft.  In the thousands of golf ball fittings I have done, I can count on one hand the number of players that launched the ball too high.  Almost everyone launches the ball too low and would benefit from a higher lofted driver.

Do you attend a lot of golf ball fittings or are you someone who fits people for golf balls?

-- Michael | My swing! 

"You think you're Jim Furyk. That's why your phone is never charged." - message from my mother

Driver:  Titleist 915D2.  4-wood:  Titleist 917F2.  Titleist TS2 19 degree hybrid.  Another hybrid in here too.  Irons 5-U, Ping G400.  Wedges negotiable (currently 54 degree Cleveland, 58 degree Titleist) Edel putter. 

Note: This thread is 2073 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!