Buckeyebowman

GHIN - Should it be called PITA?!

14 posts in this topic Last Reply

Well, finally got my GHIN # from my "home" course, and set up my profile this evening. I did this because I am going to enter the GGOV (Greatest Golfer Of the Valley) tournament sponsored by the local newspaper, the Youngstown Vindicator. They want GHIN #'s and specific HI's, though not for scoring! It's a scratch scoring tourney. It's only for pairings! Which I understand. And some of the problem had to do with the browser, Firefox, and their fetish about password security!

Anyway, I eventually waded through the morass, answering a number of hanging questions on intuition alone, and got it done. So now I have my official GHIN handicap index! Here's where it kind of grabs my ass!

If you will look at any of my prior posts, you will see that my profile features a handicap of 13.5. After all the "sturm und drang" of this evening, the almighty USGA calculates my Handicap Index to be 13.4! I missed the "Holy of Holys" by one tenth of percentage point by dead reckoning?! What can this mean?

Maybe it means that I'm honest!

EDIT: Excuse me, but I put my profile index at 13, not 13.5 as I stated previously. So, I missed it a bit more than what I thought, but not all that much. I missed it by 4/10ths and not 1/10th!

Edited by Buckeyebowman

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Want to hide this ad? Register for free today!

3 minutes ago, Buckeyebowman said:

And some of the problem had to do with the browser, Firefox, and their fetish about password security!

What is it with you and computers? :-P

3 minutes ago, Buckeyebowman said:

If you will look at any of my prior posts, you will see that my profile features a handicap of 13.5. After all the "sturm und drang" of this evening, the almighty USGA calculates my Handicap Index to be 13.4! I missed the "Holy of Holys" by one tenth of percentage point by dead reckoning?! What can this mean?

Maybe it means that I'm honest!

Sounds to me like you were sandbagging ;-)

So what's your complaint? What was a PITA? Your browser of choice?

@NatalieB has a GHIN account. It's easy to use. From her iPhone or her MacBook.

I don't find GHIN to be a PITA either.  I use their app on my phone.  I'm not even that good with computers and my phone is considered by some to be a little antiquated (it's a Galaxy S3, make of that what you will) and I'm able to use it. 

Works just fine on my phone, iPad or the course terminal.

OK, here's the deal. As I mentioned, a lot of the problem was caused by Firefox, who seemed to be suddenly over concerned with the "strength" of my password! Sometimes I think that Firefox is getting too big for it's britches!

They would put in a little "mini pop up" that would cover the "verify password field"! I looked and discovered that all I had to do was hit "enter" and this would be rectified. So, I did that and the entire screen would disappear, only to reappear with the password field not looking right! My GHIN password has 8 characters. When the screen reappeared, the password field was filled with dots! Many more than 8 characters!

I cancelled and restarted the process several times, and the same thing kept happening. Finally, in a leap of faith, where the whole field of dots appeared in both the password and verify password fields, I hit the button to complete the profile.

But I wasn't done yet! Somehow my Zip code had disappeared, which I distinctly remember entering the first time around. I entered the Zip code and tried to complete again!

I get a bounce back telling me that the Zip code doesn't correspond to any state! Why? Because the state field is now empty! Jesus H.Christ! WTF is going on around here?!

And Bill Chao. I have no problems with computers provided that they are set up logically. I've figured a whole lot out on my own! My only problems lie when programmers assume that everyone is as computer literate as they are!

I'm 65, soon to be 66, and my time to study computers was many years ago. This was when computers were large machines featuring reel to reel magnetic tape drives, enclosed in large, glass walled, air conditioned rooms, and tended to by people in white lab coats!

Programming was done on punch cards. You know, the old "do not fold, bend, spindle or mutilate" cards! That didn't interest me at all. I was more into astrophysics.

Anyway, I got it done. My handicap index is established, But I still have some ideas. Why not establish a default "home state" setting for posting scores considering where the user lives? I got a little tired of starting out at Arkansas! Yes, I know people do cross state lines to play golf, but how many times does that really happen?

48 minutes ago, Buckeyebowman said:

OK, here's the deal. As I mentioned, a lot of the problem was caused by Firefox, who seemed to be suddenly over concerned with the "strength" of my password! Sometimes I think that Firefox is getting too big for it's britches!

They would put in a little "mini pop up" that would cover the "verify password field"! I looked and discovered that all I had to do was hit "enter" and this would be rectified. So, I did that and the entire screen would disappear, only to reappear with the password field not looking right! My GHIN password has 8 characters. When the screen reappeared, the password field was filled with dots! Many more than 8 characters!

I cancelled and restarted the process several times, and the same thing kept happening. Finally, in a leap of faith, where the whole field of dots appeared in both the password and verify password fields, I hit the button to complete the profile.

But I wasn't done yet! Somehow my Zip code had disappeared, which I distinctly remember entering the first time around. I entered the Zip code and tried to complete again!

I get a bounce back telling me that the Zip code doesn't correspond to any state! Why? Because the state field is now empty! Jesus H.Christ! WTF is going on around here?!

And Bill Chao. I have no problems with computers provided that they are set up logically. I've figured a whole lot out on my own! My only problems lie when programmers assume that everyone is as computer literate as they are!

I'm 65, soon to be 66, and my time to study computers was many years ago. This was when computers were large machines featuring reel to reel magnetic tape drives, enclosed in large, glass walled, air conditioned rooms, and tended to by people in white lab coats!

Programming was done on punch cards. You know, the old "do not fold, bend, spindle or mutilate" cards! That didn't interest me at all. I was more into astrophysics.

Anyway, I got it done. My handicap index is established, But I still have some ideas. Why not establish a default "home state" setting for posting scores considering where the user lives? I got a little tired of starting out at Arkansas! Yes, I know people do cross state lines to play golf, but how many times does that really happen?

It was a joke, but clearly the problem is on your end. GHIN is easy to use and comes on an App you can get for your phone.

If you don't want to use your computer just submit your scorecards with your home club.

11 hours ago, Buckeyebowman said:

In reading this I start to wonder, did you do all this for the basic Ghin, or did you set up an eGolfer profile?  Basic Ghin you log into using your Ghin number and last name, that should be all you need.  eGolfer is an additional utility which allows you to enter and track statistics, and that does indeed ask for a lot more information.  Either way, I can understand your frustration with the process, but now that its over, it all should be pretty simple.  

You know what? I think that's what I did, open an egolfer profile.Never having used GHIN before, I thought creating a profile was required.

Oh well, I'll learn how to use it if it gives me additional info about my game. Whether or not I can put that info to good use remains to be seen!

What kills me is that by simple, dead reckoning, I only missed my HI by 4/10ths of a stroke! But, I needed it to enter a local competition. And they only use it to establish pairings. A scratch handicapper doesn't really want to play with 20, and vice versa. The tourney itself is scratch scoring, so that kind of eliminates sandbagging.

30 minutes ago, Buckeyebowman said:

What kills me is that by simple, dead reckoning, I only missed my HI by 4/10ths of a stroke!

It’s not a complicated process. You could have easily gotten it accurate.

I know you’re saying you estimated only, but still.

Within 0.4 is not a bad guess.