IGNORED

2018 Ryder Cup at Le Golf National - Paris, France

lastings
Note: This thread is 1987 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

• Administrator
2 minutes ago, RFKFREAK said:

Pardon my ignorance but why did they make 3 captain's picks first and then are making the 4th later?

Billy Horschel.

2 minutes ago, RFKFREAK said:

Also, when do they make the 4th?

After the Tour Championship.

https://www.golfchannel.com/article/golf-central-blog/horschel-rule-little-weird-namesake/

• Informative 1

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

25 minutes ago, iacas said:

Thanks.

Friday morning matches will tee off at 2:10am, 2:25am, 2:40am, and 2:55am.

Friday afternoon pairings will be available after the morning session.

Afternoon matches will begin at 7:50am, 8:05am, 8:20am, and 8:35am.

All times in U.S. Eastern Standard Time.

https://www.rydercup.com/scoring

Brutal start times for those of us in the US.

Edited by RFKFREAK

Christian

:tmade::titleist:  :leupold:  :aimpoint: :gamegolf:

I don't know why we don't keep a 4th wildcard back - Matt Fitzpatrick has just won this weekend, and while I'm not sure he was the strongest of the players that missed out, it's a win from a non rookie who only narrowly missed out on automatic qualification. 

23 hours ago, Vinsk said:

This is why I would’ve put Phil in Tiger’s asst. caot spot and take both Finau and Xander

I like this too.

But, that said, anyone can get hot any week.  If Phil has a good week, no one will complain.

and for the other poster - I know Billy wasn't in contention, but I think the Ryder Cup would fire him up if they ever let him on.  I suspect his first team he'll have to earn his way on and prove it.

Edited by rehmwa

Bill - 

Coming to this story a bit late (the first weeks of the semester are crazy).

I don't understand why on earth he picked Sergio over Russell Knox. I appreciate 19-11-7 is a respectable record. But balanced against that is the fact he's getting on a bit, is temperamental, and is horribly out of form. Knox has had a good season, and performed very well at Le Golf National only a few weeks ago.

I think a beer or two might have been opened by US team members when the Euro picks were announced. Because I think Poulter's best Ryder Cup years are likely well behind him, too.

Paul Casey has withdrawn from the latest playoff event due to back pain, a problem that he's been complaining about all summer. No doubt it will be said to be precautionary, although it's not a good sign. 

Stenson, also injured, looks like he'll struggle on to a respectable finish in what very likely looks to be his last playoff event.

2 minutes ago, ScouseJohnny said:

I think a beer or two might have been opened by US team members when the Euro picks were announced. Because I think Poulter's best Ryder Cup years are likely well behind him, too.

Well, I agree with you on the wildcard picks in general, although I don't share your thoughts on Poulter,  whose pick I didn't even think was Controversial. 

Poulter has won this season and did well in the WCG matchplay earlier this season too, so while it's possible that he won't reach the levels he has done in previous cups, I'd still back him to produce the goods in this sort of matchplay event.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ScouseJohnny said:

Coming to this story a bit late (the first weeks of the semester are crazy).

I don't understand why on earth he picked Sergio over Russell Knox. I appreciate 19-11-7 is a respectable record. But balanced against that is the fact he's getting on a bit, is temperamental, and is horribly out of form. Knox has had a good season, and performed very well at Le Golf National only a few weeks ago.

Poulter's there for more than just his playing duties, he's kind of become the unofficial mascot and talisman of the European team. I'm glad he's in the squad.

As for Sergio, maybe Bjorn thought "hmmm, Tiger is in the USA team, Tiger and Sergio dont get on......why not get Sergio in the team just for the comedy factor". I mean what could be better than the Ryder Cup? The Ryder Cup with the possibility of a Tiger/Sergio catfight!

Russ, from "sunny" Yorkshire = :-( 

In the bag: Driver: Ping G5 , Woods:Dunlop NZ9, 4 Hybrid: Tayormade Burner, 4-SW: Hippo Beast Bi-Metal , Wedges: Wilson 1200, Putter: Cleveland Smartsquare Blade, Ball: AD333

2 minutes ago, Moxley said:

I wonder if Billy Horschel will be this years beneficiary of the Horschel rule 😄 

He's making quite a run today, haha

Christian

:tmade::titleist:  :leupold:  :aimpoint: :gamegolf:

2 hours ago, Moxley said:

Poulter has won this season and did well in the WCG matchplay earlier this season too, so while it's possible that he won't reach the levels he has done in previous cups, I'd still back him to produce the goods in this sort of matchplay event.  

That's a fair point.

Bradley would not be a bad pick that you could argue right now... he’s been playing well, if he wins or finishes in the top 2/3 at east lake, he should at least get a serious look.  He’d pair well with Phil also

Callaway XR 9.5 + 1, Taylormade R15 3 Wood, Burner 3 Rescue, Callaway XHot 5H, Warbird 4H, Nike Vapor Fly 6-AW Irons, Titleist Vokey 54, 60 Wedges, Taylormade Rossa Fontana Putter, Srixon Z-Star Tour Yellow.

Best Score 2017:  82 (Traditions at the Glen, Par 70)

Favorite Course - Conklin Players Club (Par 72) - Best Score 86

Tony Finau it is (per Golf Channel), as it should be.

- Steve

Driver: titleist.png.44b235e3fc0459caf96200c226b82945.png 917D2 (9.5*), 3/4 Wood: titleist.png.44b235e3fc0459caf96200c226b82945.png 917F2 (16*),
Hybridstaylormade.png.b56433b17b721d4da3cda2f79f9e73a7.png Rescue Mid (19*) & :wilsonstaff: D100 (22*), 5i-PW, GWcobra.png.f5a0c3806c04153a74a3b11aaf4308b0.png F7 One Length
Wedges:wilsonstaff: PMP (54* & 58*), Puttertaylormade.png.b56433b17b721d4da3cda2f79f9e73a7.png Spider Mini

4 minutes ago, SPJr said:

Tony Finau it is (per Golf Channel), as it should be.

Yup here is the golf digest article on it.

https://www.golfdigest.com/story/tony-finau-named-the-final-captains-pick-for-united-states-ryder-cup-team

"He has an unbelievable body of work this year," Furyk said in a statement Monday afternoon. "All those top-10 finishes, the play in big championships and the Majors, and then his current form, a second, a fourth and an eighth in the playoffs. He checked a lot of boxes and made it impossible not to pick him."

Good pick. Feel like Furyk got all of the picks right, save maybe Phil, who's on the team for more than just his golfing merit. I'm pretty pumped for this US team.

-- Daniel

In my bag: :callaway: Paradym :callaway: Epic Flash 3.5W (16 degrees)

:callaway: Rogue Pro 3-PW :edel: SMS Wedges - V-Grind (48, 54, 58):edel: Putter

:aimpoint:

Just now, DeadMan said:

Good pick. Feel like Furyk got all of the picks right, save maybe Phil, who's on the team for more than just his golfing merit. I'm pretty pumped for this US team.

I don't really feel like there was anyone who seperated themselves from Phil, so I think it was the right pick. I think Furyk nailed it. Bjorn on the other hand.... 🤔

- Steve

Driver: titleist.png.44b235e3fc0459caf96200c226b82945.png 917D2 (9.5*), 3/4 Wood: titleist.png.44b235e3fc0459caf96200c226b82945.png 917F2 (16*),
Hybridstaylormade.png.b56433b17b721d4da3cda2f79f9e73a7.png Rescue Mid (19*) & :wilsonstaff: D100 (22*), 5i-PW, GWcobra.png.f5a0c3806c04153a74a3b11aaf4308b0.png F7 One Length
Wedges:wilsonstaff: PMP (54* & 58*), Puttertaylormade.png.b56433b17b721d4da3cda2f79f9e73a7.png Spider Mini

To bad we can’t substitute Spieth and Furyk can get another pick because he has absolutely sucked the entire year.  And this is coming from a mega fan of Spieth

Callaway XR 9.5 + 1, Taylormade R15 3 Wood, Burner 3 Rescue, Callaway XHot 5H, Warbird 4H, Nike Vapor Fly 6-AW Irons, Titleist Vokey 54, 60 Wedges, Taylormade Rossa Fontana Putter, Srixon Z-Star Tour Yellow.

Best Score 2017:  82 (Traditions at the Glen, Par 70)

Favorite Course - Conklin Players Club (Par 72) - Best Score 86

8 minutes ago, Chris223 said:

To bad we can’t substitute Spieth and Furyk can get another pick because he has absolutely sucked the entire year.  And this is coming from a mega fan of Spieth

How did he qualify via points if he "absolutely sucked the entire year"?

Sure, he struggled based on his own standards. But he is still one of the best golfers in the world.

- Steve

Note: This thread is 1987 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!