IGNORED

2018 Ryder Cup at Le Golf National - Paris, France

lastings
Note: This thread is 2009 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

On 9/11/2018 at 1:19 PM, lastings said:

Sorry, but Jordan Spieth didn’t just wake up one day and become a worse golfer than Keegan Bradley.  

Nobody ever said that.  

Callaway XR 9.5 + 1, Taylormade R15 3 Wood, Burner 3 Rescue, Callaway XHot 5H, Warbird 4H, Nike Vapor Fly 6-AW Irons, Titleist Vokey 54, 60 Wedges, Taylormade Rossa Fontana Putter, Srixon Z-Star Tour Yellow.

Best Score 2017:  82 (Traditions at the Glen, Par 70)

Favorite Course - Conklin Players Club (Par 72) - Best Score 86

• Administrator
5 hours ago, Chris223 said:

Nobody ever said that.  

No, but you did say Jordan was a terrible putter, despite being 40 spots higher than Keegan, and that he was playing better lately despite being 6-2-1 against Keegan in the last two months or so.

The points heavily favor performance in 2018. Jordan made it on points.

I think Jordan’s performances have only stood out to you because they’re below what we expect from him. But that doesn’t mean they were “bad.”

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

6 hours ago, Chris223 said:

Nobody ever said that.  

So, you’re saying that even though Keegan Bradley is a worse golfer, you’d like to ignore a years worth of results and pick him over a better golfer because he had one good tournament?

Edited by lastings

:tmade:  - SIM2 - Kuro Kage silver 60 shaft
:cobra:  - F9 3W, 15 degree - Fukijara Atmos white tour spec stiff flex shaft

:tmade: - M2 hybrid, 19 degree
:tmade: - GAPR 3 iron - 18degree
:mizuno: MP-H5 4-5 iron, MP-25 6-8 iron, MP-5 9-PW

Miura - 1957 series k-grind - 56 degree
:bettinardi: - 52 degree
:titleist: - Scotty Cameron Newport 2 - Putter

check out my swing here

1 hour ago, lastings said:

because he had one good tournament?

Many people take this and run. Analysts and announcers do it all the time. A win means ‘boy! Better keep a look out for this guy at the top of a lot of leaderboards!’ Even Travis Fulton (a rather slow witted guy imo) said about Keegan, ‘Keegan is a great driver, If he can keep his putting going he’ll be at the top of a lot of leaderboards and he’ll start turning in the wins.’

As if Keegan is a new face on tour? It’s a dumb comment. Keegan has been around 10 years? Come on....

:ping: G25 Driver Stiff :ping: G20 3W, 5W :ping: S55 4-W (aerotech steel fiber 110g shafts) :ping: Tour Wedges 50*, 54*, 58* :nike: Method Putter Floating clubs: :edel: 54* trapper wedge

16 hours ago, iacas said:

No, but you did say Jordan was a terrible putter, despite being 40 spots higher than Keegan, and that he was playing better lately despite being 6-2-1 against Keegan in the last two months or so.

The points heavily favor performance in 2018. Jordan made it on points.

I think Jordan’s performances have only stood out to you because they’re below what we expect from him. But that doesn’t mean they were “bad.”

Incorrect again, I said Jordans putting this year has been beyond bad, and that Bradley has played well lately, aside from a bad final round a couple weeks ago he also was in the lead going into the final round.  I asked the question as to whether or not Jordans current level of play gives us the best chance to win the Ryder Cup.  History aside, his greatness aside, based strictly on his play this season as a whole. 

15 hours ago, lastings said:

So, you’re saying that even though Keegan Bradley is a worse golfer, you’d like to ignore a years worth of results and pick him over a better golfer because he had one good tournament?

1 good tournament?  The stats iacas brought up aside, Bradley has made more cuts than Jordan this year, had more top 10’s, and also has Ryder Cup experience with a solid record... even better than Jordans (granted a slightly smaller... not by much, sample size).  I fail to see why I am so crazy to ask the question... does Jordans level of play this year give us the best chance to win?

Edited by Chris223

Callaway XR 9.5 + 1, Taylormade R15 3 Wood, Burner 3 Rescue, Callaway XHot 5H, Warbird 4H, Nike Vapor Fly 6-AW Irons, Titleist Vokey 54, 60 Wedges, Taylormade Rossa Fontana Putter, Srixon Z-Star Tour Yellow.

• Administrator

Oh man.

Stop digging man.

Jordan is a better putter this year. He’s 6-2-1 in his last nine events with Keegan.

He qualified on points. Points earned almost entirely this year.

Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

2 hours ago, iacas said:

Oh man.

Stop digging man.

Jordan is a better putter this year. He’s 6-2-1 in his last nine events with Keegan.

He qualified on points. Points earned almost entirely this year.

Alright, throw Bradley out of the picture entirely, I’m standing by my opinion that Spieths play THIS YEAR and this year ALONE do not give us the best chance to win the Ryder Cup, especially not compared to the level of play displayed by literally everyone else on the team who made it on points.  If you do not agree thats fine, I’ll love it if he proves me wrong, my confidence level isn’t there with the game he’s showed this year.

Edited by Chris223

What's the point of this discussion? Spieth qualified on points and Keegan hasn't played well enough to get picked. It's not like there was ever an option to swap them.

Recent tournament results can be a better indication than season overall, but in golf you never know. Keegan could've played terribly in the RC and Jordan might too. Or they could have played great. The rules are what they are and the captains pick based on various reasons (though I don't get Bjørn's Sergio pick).

We've seen enough times how recent performance is not always a good indicator. And even if it is, the statistics point more in Jordan's direction than Keegan. It's dangerous to pick a player that's played one recent tournament well over one that's played better all year.

Whether Jordan will do better than anyone else is of course impossible to tell until the cup is finished. He qualified on points, which means he beat almost everyone else on the PGA Tour. Those are hard facts and it doesn't matter if anyone thinks differently. Lobby with the people who make the rules if you want to change them.

Edited by Zeph
  • Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

Ogio Grom | Callaway X Hot Pro | Callaway X-Utility 3i | Mizuno MX-700 23º | Titleist Vokey SM 52.08, 58.12 | Mizuno MX-700 15º | Titleist 910 D2 9,5º | Scotty Cameron Newport 2 | Titleist Pro V1x and Taylormade Penta | Leupold GX-1

You need to strike a balance between form and class ; great players out of form can still produce good golf - Spieth was woefully out of form before almost winning the masters. If he gets back a little bit of form he'll be formidable, and even if he doesn't he'll probably be ok. It's not like he's been as bad as Garcia.

This is why the points system goes back a couple of years, but gives more weight to the more recent events.

11 hours ago, Moxley said:

You need to strike a balance between form and class ; great players out of form can still produce good golf - Spieth was woefully out of form before almost winning the masters. If he gets back a little bit of form he'll be formidable, and even if he doesn't he'll probably be ok. It's not like he's been as bad as Garcia.

This is why the points system goes back a couple of years, but gives more weight to the more recent events.

My guess is that Jordan will peform well.

He'll have a quite a bit of time to work through some things -and- even if he shows up in his current form, he's still good enough to compete, like you said.

- Steve

Driver: titleist.png.44b235e3fc0459caf96200c226b82945.png 917D2 (9.5*), 3/4 Wood: titleist.png.44b235e3fc0459caf96200c226b82945.png 917F2 (16*),
Hybridstaylormade.png.b56433b17b721d4da3cda2f79f9e73a7.png Rescue Mid (19*) & :wilsonstaff: D100 (22*), 5i-PW, GWcobra.png.f5a0c3806c04153a74a3b11aaf4308b0.png F7 One Length
Wedges:wilsonstaff: PMP (54* & 58*), Puttertaylormade.png.b56433b17b721d4da3cda2f79f9e73a7.png Spider Mini

I think it’s a tough choice.  Golf is so mental.  We haven’t seen Bradley play well at all and then turns it on?  

Does that mean it’s easy for him to do so or he just had a good weekend...

Having success at a young age usually diverts attention from golf back to growing up...

31 minutes ago, Groucho Valentine said:

I refuse to utter the words "Le Golf" 

It almost sounds like a parody. 😜

Ogio Grom | Callaway X Hot Pro | Callaway X-Utility 3i | Mizuno MX-700 23º | Titleist Vokey SM 52.08, 58.12 | Mizuno MX-700 15º | Titleist 910 D2 9,5º | Scotty Cameron Newport 2 | Titleist Pro V1x and Taylormade Penta | Leupold GX-1

• Administrator

So, predictions time!

28 points are available. I'm taking the U.S. at 15.5 to 12.5.

U.S. 14.5

Euros 13.5

DJ will lose his singles match.

:ping: G25 Driver Stiff :ping: G20 3W, 5W :ping: S55 4-W (aerotech steel fiber 110g shafts) :ping: Tour Wedges 50*, 54*, 58* :nike: Method Putter Floating clubs: :edel: 54* trapper wedge

Note: This thread is 2009 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!