IGNORED

2018 Ryder Cup at Le Golf National - Paris, France

lastings
Note: This thread is 1988 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

16 minutes ago, brocks said:

I agree.

:ping: G25 Driver Stiff :ping: G20 3W, 5W :ping: S55 4-W (aerotech steel fiber 110g shafts) :ping: Tour Wedges 50*, 54*, 58* :nike: Method Putter Floating clubs: :edel: 54* trapper wedge

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

No Laying Up just did a podcast over the weekend that goes over the Ryder Cup composition in some detail.

Their “insider” take on the US squad is that that Tiger and Phil are both locks to make the team (no surprise reading either, IMO). And as I suspected, Kuchar is essentially a near lock.

What was somewhat interesting is their belief that Bryson has a strong grip on the 4th spot right now. Apparently Tiger really wants him on the team and has been lobbying behind the scenes for his inclusion.

What could shake things up a bit is if Bryson surpasses Webb Simpson on points, which would open up a spot for someone like Schauffele, Kisner, etc.

BTW @DeadMan - did you send a twitter question about Webb Simpson getting the Tonya Harding treatment? If so, you got some love on the podcast so give it a listen.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Big C said:

BTW @DeadMan - did you send a twitter question about Webb Simpson getting the Tonya Harding treatment? If so, you got some love on the podcast so give it a listen. 

I may have ... I cannot confirm or deny for legal reasons. I'm sure you understand.

:-P

I have the podcast downloaded, and I'm going to listen to it today, so I'm pumped!

Edited by DeadMan

-- Daniel

In my bag: :callaway: Paradym :callaway: Epic Flash 3.5W (16 degrees)

:callaway: Rogue Pro 3-PW :edel: SMS Wedges - V-Grind (48, 54, 58):edel: Putter

:aimpoint:

1 hour ago, Big C said:

What could shake things up a bit is if Bryson surpasses Webb Simpson on points, which would open up a spot for someone like Schauffele, Kisner, etc.

I'm becoming a fan of Schauffele - and more and more as he plays and his good attitude also comes across.  But I have to confess, I'd rather not see him play good because, like Jiminez, I just can't stand listening to the announcers attempt to pronounce their names any longer.

I like BCD also for the cup, but his 4th round just now (even if it's not any points for the cup in play) likely didn't score any points with the captain.  At this juncture, I don't see him as a pick, so he'll have to make it on points.

Edited by rehmwa

Bill - 

Just caught the part where they talked about my Webb Simpson tweet. It wouldn't be too hard go from my "burner" twitter account to here to my actual name and location. Webb Simpson might be sending his ... uh ... people after me soon enough!

-- Daniel

On 7/30/2018 at 1:12 PM, rehmwa said:

I'm becoming a fan of Schauffele - and more and more as he plays and his good attitude also comes across.

I was a huge fan of how he handled the crying toddler before his attempted up and down late on Sunday at The Open.  She stops crying before he addresses the ball and starts back up before the shot so he steps back laughing at the whole thing.  Could have gotten upset but was a good sport about it.  Kudos to him.

I'm ashamed I'll probably not watch much of the Ryder Cup since I'll be on vacation and mostly being in national parks won't help either...

Diego’s Gear
Driver: Callaway Great Big Bertha at 11.5*
5W: Taylormade Jetspeed 19*
Hybrid: Ping G5 22*
Irons: Mizuno MX-23 4-PW
Wedges: Cleveland RTX 2.0 50*, 54*, 58*
Putter: Ping Ketsch 33”
My Swing: https://thesandtrap.com/forums/topic/93417-my-swing-foot-wedge/

1 hour ago, Foot Wedge said:

She stops crying before he addresses the ball and starts back up before the shot so he steps back laughing at the whole thing. ..

Take another listen it's more than she 'starts back up', it's pretty funny. 

He's taking quite a bit of time after she stops the first time.  Then right at address you can hear her asking her mother if he's going to ever hit the ball.....

Bill - 

1 hour ago, rehmwa said:

Take another listen it's more than she 'starts back up', it's pretty funny. 

He's taking quite a bit of time after she stops the first time.  Then right at address you can hear her asking her mother if he's going to ever hit the ball.....

I actually didn’t hear her say that! It must have been while I was commenting how terrified I’d be if I was her mother.

Diego’s Gear
Driver: Callaway Great Big Bertha at 11.5*
5W: Taylormade Jetspeed 19*
Hybrid: Ping G5 22*
Irons: Mizuno MX-23 4-PW
Wedges: Cleveland RTX 2.0 50*, 54*, 58*
Putter: Ping Ketsch 33”
My Swing: https://thesandtrap.com/forums/topic/93417-my-swing-foot-wedge/

Well, no movement in the automatic qualifiers this week.    Dechambeau, nipping at the heals of Webb Simpson, finished 2 strokes back of Webb, leaving Webb's sight margin in tact.  

The biggest move was made by Thorbjorn Oleson and his 3rd place finish.   Already on Tommy Fleetwood's heels in European points, this finish puts him right on the heels of Paul Casey for world points as well.   

Even if Oleson passed Fleetwood in European points, Fleetwood still gets in on World points, which bumps out Paul Casey.  So, there are a couple different ways Olesen could overtake Casey.   
If Paul Casey falls out of automatic qualification, there is no way the Captain's picks leave him at home, is there?   

USA top 8 (automatic qualifiers) after the Bridgestone WGC

1. Dustin Johnson
2. Brooks Koepka
3. Justin Thomas
4. Patrick Reed
5. Bubba Watson
6. Jordan Spieth
7. Rickie Fowler
8. Webb Simpson

Europe top 8 (automatic qualifiers) after the Bridgestone WGC

1. Francesco Molinari
2. Justin Rose
3. Rory McIlroy
4. Tommy Fleetwood
5. Jon Rahm
6. Alex Noren
7. Tyrell Hatton
8. Paul Casey

:tmade:  - SIM2 - Kuro Kage silver 60 shaft
:cobra:  - F9 3W, 15 degree - Fukijara Atmos white tour spec stiff flex shaft

:tmade: - M2 hybrid, 19 degree
:tmade: - GAPR 3 iron - 18degree
:mizuno: MP-H5 4-5 iron, MP-25 6-8 iron, MP-5 9-PW

Miura - 1957 series k-grind - 56 degree
:bettinardi: - 52 degree
:titleist: - Scotty Cameron Newport 2 - Putter

check out my swing here

I get that Tiger likes BDC’s competitive attitude..but I think it’s more bark than bite. BDC has his moments but more often than not he just can’t finish or has a blow up. I’d much rather see Xander than BDC. And no, it’s not just because I don’t care for BDC...I put all that aside when it comes to making a solid RC team. Webb is a pansy and doesn’t have the fierce edge we need. Kuchar also too much of a ‘awww golly shucks you sure hit a better shot than me..yuk yuk’ but he’s also always up there and is great with his wedges. 

Edited by Vinsk

:ping: G25 Driver Stiff :ping: G20 3W, 5W :ping: S55 4-W (aerotech steel fiber 110g shafts) :ping: Tour Wedges 50*, 54*, 58* :nike: Method Putter Floating clubs: :edel: 54* trapper wedge

Here are the current OWGR rankings, sorted by 2018 points earned .... make your own judgments, but BDC is currently the top US player not an automatic qualifier and Phil & Tiger are right behind

8-13-18 OWGR 2018 points.JPG

Players play, tough players win!

I think the PGA has pretty much sorted the US team - the best players are now more or less inside the top 12. Woods is an obvious pick, and I think BDC being so close to qualification is an indication that he ought to be in too. Mikleson will get picked because he's Phil, so that only leaves a question mark over Schauffele . Kisner or Stanley could perhaps be justifed on form, especially if they do something over the next few weeks, but Schauffele has played well too. ZJ could be a consideration too.

For Europe, it's more complicated, lot's of big names outside the top 8. Without our top 8 in form, I'd prioritise younger players in form over older names, and with that in mind, I'd go

Casey, RCB, Olessen and Pepperell. 

Overall it's looking a lot trickier for Europe, unlike the US with their best players in form, we have some our best players out of form (Mcilroy,Rahm), others having peaked earlier in the season (Rose, Noren)  and only really Poulter,Fleetwood and Molinari in good form. Some tricky choices. 

I believe the top 8 for the US is now final. I think the picks are Tiger, Phil, Kuchar, and BDC. BDC is probably the one that's on the bubble at this point. If someone has a really good FedEx series, I bet BDC is the one that misses out.

-- Daniel

(edited)

Some moving over PGA weekend...      Webb finished T19, while Bryson missed the cut.  The USA top 8 is now locked.  

USA top 8 (automatic qualifiers) after the PGA Championship

1. Brooks Koepka
2. Dustin Johnson
3. Justin Thomas
4. Patrick Reed
5. Bubba Watson
6. Jordan Spieth
7. Rickie Fowler
8. Webb Simpson

9-15 is, in order, Bryson, Phil, Tiger, Schauffle, Kuchar, Kisner.  
4 of those 6 are sure to be selected.   

In Europe, a T31 vaulted Ian Poulter over Paul Casey and Thorbjorn Oleson to claim the #8 spot.  Team Europe's qualifying period is a bit longer, though.    Players have until the Made in Denmark tournament ending on 9/2 to qualify.   So, there's still some moving and shaking to do.  

Europe top 8 (automatic qualifiers) after the PGA Championship

1. Francesco Molinari
2. Justin Rose
3. jon Rahm
4. Rory Mcilroy
5. Tommy Fleetwood
6. Alex Noren
7. Tyrell Hatton
8. Ian Poulter

Casey, Oleson, and Rafa Cabrera Bello all within striking distance of Poulter.   Hatton and Noren are quite a ways clear and can be considered safe at this point. 

Edited by lastings

check out my swing here

I think the US squad is set, other than the last captains pick, which will come down to hot hand between Kisner, Kuchar, Schauffle...   and I guess Stanley, Finau, or Brian Harmon could catch fire and make a case for themselves.   

I think there should be a Captain's ejection rule, where the captain is allowed to boot any of the top 8 if their name is Webb Simpson and replace him with someone cool.  

Europe is full of Wild Cards.   outside of the top 8, I think Casey is a lock to be captains pick.   I think you have to take Cabrera Bello as well.    but then you take two of:  Oleson, Fitzpatrick, Russell Knox, Eddie Pepperell, Sergio, Stenson.  

I would love to see Pepperell get taken, but it's tough to justify.   Knox and Oleson have had better seasons, and Stenson and Sergio have been just about the same.  Pepperell is probably an awesome locker room guy.    but, based on merit, I'm not sure great locker room guy is of more value than veteran leadership (i.e. Sergio/Stenson).    Also, who really wants to face Stenson in matchplay?    nobody, thats who.   

So, I'm gonna guess the 4 captains picks as of today would be Casey, Cabrera Bello, Sergio, Stenson.   
 But, of course, Oleson or Fitzparick could bump Poulter from the top 8.   Then Poulter takes a captains pick and messes up the above scenario.   

check out my swing here

Bad as it sounds and Jordan is my boy lol, but I wish he wasn’t on the team with the way he’s been playing this year, he has been pretty awful.  But for me, Tiger is now a lock, Phil will probably be a pick and I think Zach warrants a pick, he has been playing some very good golf the second half plus he’s a steady guy and a veteran.  As for the 4th pick if the other three are those above, it doesn’t really matter to me.  A lot to pick from honestly

Callaway XR 9.5 + 1, Taylormade R15 3 Wood, Burner 3 Rescue, Callaway XHot 5H, Warbird 4H, Nike Vapor Fly 6-AW Irons, Titleist Vokey 54, 60 Wedges, Taylormade Rossa Fontana Putter, Srixon Z-Star Tour Yellow.

Best Score 2017:  82 (Traditions at the Glen, Par 70)

Favorite Course - Conklin Players Club (Par 72) - Best Score 86

I’d take Tiger, replace his asst. captain spot with Phil. Then add Finau, Kisner. Then whoever plays better until the pick between Kuchar/Shauffle. 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, DeadMan said:

I believe the top 8 for the US is now final. I think the picks are Tiger, Phil, Kuchar, and BDC. BDC is probably the one that's on the bubble at this point. If someone has a really good FedEx series, I bet BDC is the one that misses out.

Tiger is definitely a lock. Not sure on the other 3. Phil has not played well at all of late and if his form continues to be this bad, I don't think he'll be a pick. I like the idea of replacing Tiger with Phil as Asst. Captain.

Also like the way Zach Johnson has been playing of late and given his experience, he has a good shot of being a pick. Also, I think Schaffele will defintely be a pick. Everyone high on Finau, but has he won this year? He posts great finishes, but never wins.

Note: This thread is 1988 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!