IGNORED

2018 PGA Championship at Bellerive

iacas
Note: This thread is 2078 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Again, are you sure we're talking about the same course? I'm just measuring fairways on google maps, but most of them seem to be 30 yards or less. It also looks like there's not much room to miss the fairways without bringing trees into play. That's way narrower than the fairways we've had at the other 3 majors this year.

It's a recipe for target, robotic golf. Hit it to one specific spot again and again and again. It's boring. I know it's American golf, but I'm just bored of watching it.

-- Daniel

In my bag: :callaway: Paradym :callaway: Epic Flash 3.5W (16 degrees)

:callaway: Rogue Pro 3-PW :edel: SMS Wedges - V-Grind (48, 54, 58):edel: Putter

:aimpoint:

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

2 hours ago, DeadMan said:

Are you sure we're talking about the same course?

Course is 7547 yards, which is hardly short by PGA Tour standards.

It’s a par 72, though, right? That means four par-5s, and really any par-5 can be reached in two nowadays unless it’s 650+ yards. 7500 isn’t all that long with four par-5s. They’re getting a lot of rain there so the course should play softer. Not sure how much they’re going to grow the rough. That will play a big role in how aggressive guys are off the tee.

Edited by ChrisP

3 hours ago, DeadMan said:

It's a recipe for target, robotic golf. Hit it to one specific spot again and again and again. It's boring. I know it's American golf, but I'm just bored of watching it.

That sounds more like LPGA but with much shorter holes and easier pin placements.

:ping: G25 Driver Stiff :ping: G20 3W, 5W :ping: S55 4-W (aerotech steel fiber 110g shafts) :ping: Tour Wedges 50*, 54*, 58* :nike: Method Putter Floating clubs: :edel: 54* trapper wedge

2 hours ago, ChrisP said:

It’s a par 72, though, right? That means four par-5s, and really any par-5 can be reached in two nowadays unless it’s 650+ yards. 7500 isn’t all that long with four par-5s. They’re getting a lot of rain there so the course should play softer. Not sure how much they’re going to grow the rough. That will play a big role in how aggressive guys are off the tee.

Based on @Club Rat's post up above, looks like it was a 71 for the PGA in '92 and a par 70 in 2008 for the BMW.

2 minutes ago, Golfingdad said:

Based on @Club Rat's post up above, looks like it was a 71 for the PGA in '92 and a par 70 in 2008 for the BMW.

They have it on the pga site as a 72 unless that’s wrong. I hope it’s a 70. Some of the holes they have listed as a par-5 are only 500 yds. 

• Administrator

Par 72

• Thumbs Up 1

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

I think they will play Hole #10 as a par 4 and move the tee box forward a tad.
That is what they have done in the past events.
Unless they built a new tee box back towards the driving range and pool area in the past few years?

Bellerive CC.PNG

• Thumbs Up 1

Johnny Rocket - Let's Rock and Roll and play some golf !!!

9 minutes ago, Club Rat said:

Unless they built a new tee box back towards the driving range and pool area in the past few years?

Bellerive CC.PNG

Interesting.  Looks like 10 has been a par 4 in the past, and for that 2008 BMW Championship, 10 and 4 both played as par 4's.  They also list the total yardage from that tournament as 7304, so they obviously moved some tees up.  Hope the setup has a few more teeth than it did then, -21 or 22 wouldn't make for a very major test.:-P

• Administrator
27 minutes ago, Club Rat said:

Bellerive CC.PNG

Or…

https://www.pga.com/events/pgachampionship/course

• Thumbs Up 1

Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

• Administrator
1 minute ago, brocks said:

I think you need to expand on that a bit to make your point, because your link says that 10 "plays as a par 5 for club members," which to me implies that it may be a par 4 for the pros.

I'm just saying that the current PGA.com site lists it as a par 72 at 7547 yards.

I also heard today that they have course for members last week AND the members have been playing temp greens for over a month.
Attending the event will require shuttling from areas which are a 30 minute ride.
Volunteers will shuttle from a closer area about 15-20 minutes away.

The local news has announced NO public parking within 2 miles.
Our Club volunteers will be working Hole #2.

And several Friends/Members have access to Corporate Sponsor Tents. 

I'll be watching on the big screen in my easy chair at home with a cold brewski in hand … :whistle:

It's not an easy walk to different hole locations and several holes are nearly impassable with large crowds.
Unless you show up at the crack of dawn and head out to the outside perimeter of the course, moving to different holes will be challenging. 

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Informative 1

Johnny Rocket - Let's Rock and Roll and play some golf !!!

31 minutes ago, Club Rat said:

I also heard today that they have course for members last week AND the members have been playing temp greens for over a month.
Attending the event will require shuttling from areas which are a 30 minute ride.
Volunteers will shuttle from a closer area about 15-20 minutes away.

The local news has announced NO public parking within 2 miles.
Our Club volunteers will be working Hole #2.

And several Friends/Members have access to Corporate Sponsor Tents. 

I'll be watching on the big screen in my easy chair at home with a cold brewski in hand … :whistle:

It's not an easy walk to different hole locations and several holes are nearly impassable with large crowds.
Unless you show up at the crack of dawn and head out to the outside perimeter of the course, moving to different holes will be challenging. 

Wow.  I realize that the quality of golf should be the first priority, but surely the PGA could find a high quality course that's a little more fan friendly.

I have a buddy who's an avid golfer and since he's quite wealthy has played all kinds of great courses worldwide. He insists that Bellerive is the most underrated course he's played. 

I don't have much memory of it, but isn't this where they played the 2002 Ryder Cup that was delayed due to 9/11? I think it was.

"Witty golf quote."

1 minute ago, Aguirre said:

I have a buddy who's an avid golfer and since he's quite wealthy has played all kinds of great courses worldwide. He insists that Bellerive is the most underrated course he's played. 

I don't have much memory of it, but isn't this where they played the 2002 Ryder Cup that was delayed due to 9/11? I think it was.

Interesting. Did he mean underrated in difficulty, beauty, or what?

1 minute ago, sofingaw said:

Interesting. Did he mean underrated in difficulty, beauty, or what?

Underrated in the sense that rather than just a great local or regional course, it should be recognized as a great national course. I feel he was talking more about the course and it's playability, rather than challenge. 

• Thumbs Up 1

"Witty golf quote."

55 minutes ago, Aguirre said:

Looks like you’re memory is close ... they were supposed to hold a WGC event that was canceled due to 9/11.  Ryder Cup that was postponed for a year was in England.

Note: This thread is 2078 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!