IGNORED

2018 PGA Championship at Bellerive

iacas
Note:Β This thread is 2052 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic.Β Thank you!

• Administrator

download.jpggetImage.gif.jpg20543804_1861582277208342_3322747843019874865_o-1-.jpg

Erik J. Barzeski β€” β›³Β I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. πŸŒπŸΌβ€β™‚οΈ
Director of InstructionΒ Golf EvolutionΒ β€’Β Owner,Β The Sand Trap .comΒ β€’Β Author,Β Lowest Score Wins
Golf DigestΒ "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17Β &Β "Best in State" 2017-20Β β€’ WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019Β :edel:Β :true_linkswear:

Check Out:Β New TopicsΒ |Β TST BlogΒ |Β Golf TermsΒ |Β Instructional ContentΒ |Β AnalyzrΒ |Β LSWΒ | Instructional Droplets

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Early odds for Tiger?

-- Michael | My swing!Β 

"You think you're Jim Furyk. That's why your phone is never charged." - message from my mother

Driver:Β  Titleist 915D2.Β  4-wood:Β  Titleist 917F2.Β  Titleist TS2 19 degree hybrid.Β  Another hybrid in here too.Β  Irons 5-U, Ping G400.Β  Wedges negotiable (currently 54 degree Cleveland, 58 degree Titleist) Edel putter.Β 

16 minutes ago, Shindig said:

Early odds for Tiger?

From http://golfodds.com/upcoming-major-odds.html.

If you can find a bookie who isn't paying too close attention, try to get Zach Johnson at 2000-1 (there's a Zach J. Johnson at those odds)

PGA Championship
Bellerive Country Club - St. Louis, Missouri
August 9 - 12, 2018

ODDS to Win:
Rory McIlroy 12/1
Jordan Spieth 12/1
Dustin Johnson 12/1
TigerΒ Woods 16/1
Rickie Fowler 16/1
Justin Thomas 16/1
Justin Rose 18/1
Brooks Koepka 20/1
Jon Rahm 20/1
Tommy Fleetwood 25/1
Francesco Molinari 25/1
Jason Day 25/1
Hideki Matsuyama 30/1
Patrick Reed 30/1
Henrik Stenson 40/1
Paul Casey 40/1
Alex Noren 40/1
Phil Mickelson 50/1
Sergio Garcia 50/1
Bubba Watson 50/1
Tony Finau 50/1
XanderΒ Schauffele 50/1
Matt Kuchar 50/1
Marc Leishman 60/1
Branden Grace 60/1
Louis Oosthuizen 60/1
Patrick Cantlay 60/1
Bryson DeChambeau 60/1
WebbΒ Simpson 60/1
Adam Scott 80/1
Zach Johnson 80/1
Kevin Kisner 80/1
Ian Poulter 100/1
Thomas Pieters 100/1
Tyrrell Hatton 100/1
Rafael Cabrera Bello 100/1
Daniel Berger 100/1
Kevin Chappell 100/1
Brian Harman 100/1
Brandt Snedeker 100/1
Charley Hoffman 100/1
Jason Dufner 125/1
Jimmy Walker 125/1
Emiliano Grillo 125/1
Matthew Fitzpatrick 125/1
Charl Schwartzel 125/1
Martin Kaymer 150/1
Ryan Moore 150/1
Kevin Na 150/1
Russell Knox 150/1
Peter Uihlein 150/1
Russell Henley 150/1
Kyle Stanley 150/1
Brendan Steele 150/1
Luke List 150/1
Haotong Li 150/1
Byeong Hun An 150/1
Gary Woodland 150/1
Kiradech Aphibarnrat 150/1
Lee Westwood 150/1
Keegan Bradley 150/1
Pat Perez 150/1
J.B. Holmes 150/1
Aaron Wise 150/1
Joaquin Niemann 150/1
Bill Haas 150/1
Billy Horschel 150/1
Shane Lowry 200/1
Beau Hossler 200/1
Chris Wood 200/1
Andy Sullivan 200/1
Danny Willett 200/1
Charles Howell III 200/1
Michael Kim 200/1
Adam Hadwin 200/1
Cameron Smith 200/1
Si Woo Kim 200/1
Chez Reavie 250/1
Scott Piercy 250/1
Austin Cook 250/1
Chesson Hadley 250/1
Shubhankar Sharma 250/1
Jim Furyk 250/1
Padraig Harrington 250/1
Ross Fisher 250/1
James Hahn 300/1
Satoshi Kodaira 300/1
Ollie Schniederjans 300/1
Bernd Wiesberger 300/1
Jordan Smith 300/1
Brice Garnett 300/1
Andrew Landry 300/1
Patton Kizzire 300/1
J.J. Spaun 300/1
Ryan Armour 500/1
Ted Potter, Jr 500/1
Chris Stroud 500/1
Scott Brown 500/1
Vijay Singh 500/1
Davis Love III 500/1
John Daly 1000/1
Rich Beem 1000/1
Y.E. Yang 1000/1
Paul Broadhurst 1000/1
Omar Uresti 1000/1
Rich Berberian, Jr 1000/1
Matt Dobyns 1000/1
Marty Jertsen 1000/1
Shaun Micheel 2000/1
Craig Bowden 2000/1
Michael Block 2000/1
Bob Sowards 2000/1
David Muttitt 2000/1
Jaysen Hansen 2000/1
Brian Smock 2000/1
Sean McCarty 2000/1
Matt Borchert 2000/1
Zach J. Johnson 2000/1
Jason Schmuhl 2000/1
Danny Balin 2000/1
Ben Kern 2000/1
Ryan Vermeer 2000/1
Shaun Warren 2000/1
Craig Hocknull 2000/1
Johan Kok 2000/1
Edited by brocks
  • Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1
  • Informative 1

41 minutes ago, Shindig said:

Early odds for Tiger?

Interesting note: In the last twenty years only one golfer of 40 years of age or older has one won the PGA Championship. Who? Vijay Singh in 2004. Doesn’t bode well for any golfer in the tournament over 40 BUT Golf hasn’t had golfers playing at Tiger and Phil’s level consistently at their age in that timeframe either.Β 

The PGA championship has kinda become US Open lite (which hasn’t had but one champion over 35 i think around 20 years in Angel Cabrera). Not saying Tiger can’t win it because I think he can. However, I think Augusta and The Open are his best chances from here on out.Β 

Β Bellerive Country Club - St. Louis, Missouriο»Ώ is in my home town and I have played it many times.

1 hour ago, HJJ003 said:

Anyone with insider info?

Founded in 1897 as The Field Club with a nine-hole golf course, the membership incorporated in 1910, moved the club to Normandy and named the club Bellerive after Louis St. Ange De Bellerive, the last French Governor in North America. The original Normandy course was designed by Scotsman Robert Foulis.

THE GOLF COURSE AND BELLERIVE’S CHAMPIONSHIP HISTORY

In 1955, the members decided to relocate and chose Robert Trent Jones, Sr. to select the land and design the new golf course. Β The club relocated to Creve Coeur in 1960. Β Five years later, in 1965, the club hosted the United States Open, the youngest course to ever host an Open Championship. Β Gary Player won the 1965 Championship, completing the career grand slam in the process.

Bellerive went on to host the inaugural United States Mid-Amateur Championship in 1981, won by St. Louisan Jim Holtgrieve. Β In 1992, Bellerive hosted the PGA Championship which became the first major championship won by Nick Price. Β Price finished three strokes ahead of a group that included Nick Faldo. Β In 2001, the club was prepared to host 70 of the world’s best golfers at the WGC American Express Championship when the terrorist attacks of 9/11 forced cancellation of the event. Β Bellerive then hosted the 2004 United States Senior Open, won by Peter Jacobson, the 2008 BMW Championship and the 2013 Senior PGA Championship, thus becoming only the third club to host all four US major traveling championships.Β 

The course underwent a major renovation in 2006 led by Rees Jones, the son of Robert Trent Jones, Sr. to provide Noticeable changes include the tree removal and lake construction on #2, making the hole one of two potentially drivable Par 4s (with the changes to #11), the straightened 618 yard Par 5 Eighth Hole, and the picturesque 482 yard Par 4 Twelfth Hole. Β 

In 2013 Rees Jones, facilitated additional course modifications. These modifications included a complete reconstruction of the bunkers and the installation of a unique championship bunker sand. Turf lines throughout the course were also modified. These changes predominately were around bunkers, creek edges and at all putting surface complexes. The modified design increased the aesthetics and introduced new playing challenges coupled with enhanced vistas and sightlines, Bellerive’s progressive modifications have added to its historic legacy and national championship appeal.Β 

As with the original design, the difficulty of the course is best demonstrated by holes 14 through 16, known as β€œthe Ridge.” Β All of the holes on β€œthe Ridge” play into the prevailing southerly wind. Hole 14 is the last of Bellerive’s strategic 4 par. Hole 15 (495 yards) and 16 (235 yards) are long but straight forward challenges.

Year 2018

TAGS -PGA Championship

92 Champ.PNG

2008 BMW Championship - image.png

Scores should be similar with a milder weather forecast predicted. We have had a very warm stretch and temps are lower 90's this week.
The course is a very traditional Country Club style with tree lined fairways and no real tricky holes.
A few greens have huge humps (VW's graves), but are manageable to play.
With the hot weather the past two months, it may have paid a toll on the ruff which typically is very plush.
Not many hazards, OB on perimeter holes, a few holes where a player could lose strokes for a Lost Ball.
Talk around town is they have spent a ton of money prepping for the championship.
I'm guessing they have shut it down for members as there have been several members playing my course last week.

St. Lou is a great stop for the tour, wish we hosted events more often.
Β 

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Informative 1

Johnny Rocket - Let's Rock and Roll and play some golf !!!

• Administrator
1 hour ago, brocks said:

Ifο»Ώ you can find a bookie who isn't paying too close attention, try to gο»Ώet Zach Johnson at 2000-1 (there's a Zach J. Johnson at those odds)ο»Ώο»Ώ

Yes, as you know he’s the PGA professional.

Erik J. Barzeski β€” β›³Β I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. πŸŒπŸΌβ€β™‚οΈ
Director of InstructionΒ Golf EvolutionΒ β€’Β Owner,Β The Sand Trap .comΒ β€’Β Author,Β Lowest Score Wins
Golf DigestΒ "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17Β &Β "Best in State" 2017-20Β β€’ WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019Β :edel:Β :true_linkswear:

Check Out:Β New TopicsΒ |Β TST BlogΒ |Β Golf TermsΒ |Β Instructional ContentΒ |Β AnalyzrΒ |Β LSWΒ | Instructional Droplets

3 hours ago, brocks said:

From http://golfodds.com/upcoming-major-odds.html.

If you can find a bookie who isn't paying too close attention, try to get Zach Johnson at 2000-1 (there's a Zach J. Johnson at those odds)

It's an interesting thought, but then I might find myself rooting for Zach Johnson.Β  I can imagine hedging my bets with an actual bet in team sports but I don't see it in golf.

-- Michael | My swing!Β 

"You think you're Jim Furyk. That's why your phone is never charged." - message from my mother

Driver:Β  Titleist 915D2.Β  4-wood:Β  Titleist 917F2.Β  Titleist TS2 19 degree hybrid.Β  Another hybrid in here too.Β  Irons 5-U, Ping G400.Β  Wedges negotiable (currently 54 degree Cleveland, 58 degree Titleist) Edel putter.Β 

Zach hasn't really had that great a year, though. Only one top-10. He played well at the British, but he plays well there all the time.Β 

Heard some early analysis that they're expecting a lot of low scores at this PGA. They changed it to a par-72 with 4 par-5s, two which are pretty short, all which are reachable. Also 4 par-4s which are relatively short. So it should favor the big hitters who like to go out and make a lot of birdies. Guys like Rory, Koepka, DJ. Hurts the grinders out there who like the difficult conditions and courses.

Robert Trent Jones Sr. designΒ and Rees Jones redesign? Holy shit, count me out of this one. Half the holes will have fairway bunkers on both sides of the landing area for tee shots. They'll have 20 yards of fairway to land it in. Except the long hitters will just be able to smash their drivesΒ over the bunkers and have wedges in. Ugh.

• Like 1

-- Daniel

In my bag: :callaway:Β ParadymΒ :callaway:Β Epic Flash 3.5W (16 degrees)

:callaway:Β Rogue Pro 3-PW :edel:Β SMSΒ Wedges - V-Grind (48, 54, 58):edel: Putter

Β :aimpoint:

6 minutes ago, DeadMan said:

Holy shit, count me out of this one.Β 

No offense my friend, but I wasn't planning to place a bet on you winning it this year.Β 

• Like 1

-- Michael | My swing!Β 

34 minutes ago, DeadMan said:

Half the holes will have fairway bunkers on both sides of the landing area for tee shots. They'll have 20 yards of fairway to land it in.

Not so, the course is short for Tour Standards and it's an easy course for players who manage their game.
Greens are huge and hitting them near the pin locations is a key for scoring well.
Long putts will be a problem for those who do not.

Par Fives are reachable and pose little problems around most of the greens.
Bunker play will be no problems for the Pros.

A few greens will have potential penalties (hazards) if missed in the wrong areas.

9 minutes ago, Club Rat said:

Not so, the course is short for Tour Standards and it's an easy course for players who manage their game.

Are you sure we're talking about the same course?

Course is 7547 yards, which is hardly short by PGA Tour standards.

-- Daniel

In my bag: :callaway:Β ParadymΒ :callaway:Β Epic Flash 3.5W (16 degrees)

:callaway:Β Rogue Pro 3-PW :edel:Β SMSΒ Wedges - V-Grind (48, 54, 58):edel: Putter

Β :aimpoint:

34 minutes ago, DeadMan said:

Course is 7547 yards

Most holes are elevated tee shots which make them play shorter than the yardage.
#9 plays uphill and a difficult hole.
It's been very dry the past month and the courses in our area are all firm even with nightly watering.

Granted, it's notΒ Carnoustie firm, tee shots will run.
The #11 hole is the only narrow fairway and is a short hole.
Players will mostly hit irons.

All other holes are great driver holes even for the short hitters.

Edited by Club Rat

Note:Β This thread is 2052 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic.Β Thank you!