IGNORED

Bryson Implodes, Shakes Hand of Winner Only Briefly

Vinsk
Note: This thread is 2084 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

7 hours ago, Golfingdad said:

I'd even go a step further and say its disrespectful to McEvoy of the guy (or girl or guys or girls) trying to make a story out of this instead of just writing about the guy that won.  YOU (writer) are the ones taking away from the guys win, not DeChambeau.

This is stupid.

I had the same instinct at first. But it's a second-rate European Tour event, and nobody has heard of the winner. The better story is Bryson melting down and then doing something "unsportsmanlike." Case in point: this thread got to two 3 pages, and there's like 2 posts talking about the winner. People care more about this, so more gets written about it.

Edited by DeadMan
  • Like 1

-- Daniel

In my bag: :callaway: Paradym :callaway: Epic Flash 3.5W (16 degrees)

:callaway: Rogue Pro 3-PW :edel: SMS Wedges - V-Grind (48, 54, 58):edel: Putter

:aimpoint:

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Not a big Bryson fan, but the fact he shot +6 in the closing round and blew the golf tournament may have had something to do with his antipathy on the final green. Plus I also just think that's his personality. He's not a super gracious guy like many others. Not everyone has to be that way. And so you combine with that with what he shot in the final round and you get the brief handshake.

16 minutes ago, ChrisP said:

Not a big Bryson fan, but the fact he shot +6 in the closing round and blew the golf tournament may have had something to do with his antipathy on the final green. Plus I also just think that's his personality. He's not a super gracious guy like many others. Not everyone has to be that way. And so you combine with that with what he shot in the final round and you get the brief handshake.

So we see comments in other threads complaining when a player appreciates another's good play.  Pretty much grumping that players aren't cut throat like the good old days.  Too buddy buddy.

Now we see comments here about a player being pissed at himself about his poor play - yet still shaking a hand and doffing his cap.

make up your minds - you want it cut throat?  or friendly comp?

aside - what was BCD's lead after 3 rounds? 

• Like 1

Bill - 

36 minutes ago, rehmwa said:

So we see comments in other threads complaining when a player appreciates another's good play.  Pretty much grumping that players aren't cut throat like the good old days.  Too buddy buddy.

Now we see comments here about a player being pissed at himself about his poor play - yet still shaking a hand and doffing his cap.

make up your minds - you want it cut throat?  or friendly comp?

aside - what was BCD's lead after 3 rounds? 

I believe he was tied for the lead.

And everyone has different opinions about it. Just stating mine. I don't think it's that big of a deal, personally. It's his youth and personality mixed with his frustration of having a bad round. That's just the way I view it. 

5 minutes ago, ChrisP said:

I believe he was tied for the lead.

And everyone has different opinions about it. Just stating mine. I don't think it's that big of a deal, personally. It's his youth and personality mixed with his frustration of having a bad round. That's just the way I view it.

oops - the disconnect of the "be focused" vs "he's not nice enough" was a general comment.  Not at you.  I'm on board with your comment.

Bill - 

Like many im not a huge BD fan and while it wasn't the best "congrats" he gave he at least gave it. Would have been worse had he thrown all his toys out of the pram and stormed off in a huff without offering a handshake.

Well done to McEvoy. I think he became the first player to win a Challenge tour and European tour event back to back or something like that.

Russ, from "sunny" Yorkshire = :-( 

In the bag: Driver: Ping G5 , Woods:Dunlop NZ9, 4 Hybrid: Tayormade Burner, 4-SW: Hippo Beast Bi-Metal , Wedges: Wilson 1200, Putter: Cleveland Smartsquare Blade, Ball: AD333

Decent interview with Trico on Golf Channel.  Seems forced to have to address it (i.e., the interview wouldn't be necessary if they wouldn't have made a stink in the first place)  Expecting most to take the content and approve.  The same old crowd finding faults as usual.

Could have wrapped it up a third of the way through, IMO.  I stopped listening after the good explanation and the mea culpa.

https://www.golfchannel.com/video/exclusive-interview-bryson-dechambeau-mike-tirico/

Bill - 

I just read that McEvoy didn't even notice anything wrong with the handshake... Just another instance of people getting upset and attacking over nothing.

Edited by Jeremie Boop

KICK THE FLIP!!

In the bag:
:srixon: Z355

:callaway: XR16 3 Wood
:tmade: Aeroburner 19* 3 hybrid
:ping: I e1 irons 4-PW
:vokey: SM5 50, 60
:wilsonstaff: Harmonized Sole Grind 56 and Windy City Putter

The main story of the event should have been a bigger headline ...

R. McEvoy is a Champion.

(Extra funny/ironic considering it seems like BD needed to pull a Tin Cup for it to have happened.) :-P

Anyone notice that McEvoy celebrated and threw his golf visor in the air BEFORE Dechambeau putted out to finish his round?

"Getting paired with you is the equivalent to a two-stroke penalty to your playing competitors"  -- Sean O'Hair to Rory Sabbatini (Zurich Classic, 2011)

Way too big of a deal made out of this, he is 24, he was frustrated. Shouldn't have needed an interview with Tirico to go this through again. Anyway he seems like a good dude, I'm rooting for him in the future.

50 minutes ago, weekend hacker1 said:

And then he goes home and looks at his replica claret jug...

Yeah. Alone, in a quiet dark house as ‘Going down swinging’ plays on the TV background reflecting on the biggest story of 1999 Open.

:ping: G25 Driver Stiff :ping: G20 3W, 5W :ping: S55 4-W (aerotech steel fiber 110g shafts) :ping: Tour Wedges 50*, 54*, 58* :nike: Method Putter Floating clubs: :edel: 54* trapper wedge

Not bad for a guy who couldn't hit the practice range with his driver about a week ago:

Bridgestone j40 445 w/ Graphite Design AD DJ-7
Callaway Steelhead Plus 3 wood w/ RCH Pro Series 3.2
Adams Idea Pro hybrids (3 & 4) w/ Aldila VS Proto 
Bridgestone j33 CB (5-PW) w/ original Rifle 5.5
Bridgestone West Coast 52*, j40 satin 56* & 60* w/ DG S-300
Odyssey White Hot XG #9
Bridgestone B330-RX

Just so odd. Looks like he swung the club about 80mph.

:ping: G25 Driver Stiff :ping: G20 3W, 5W :ping: S55 4-W (aerotech steel fiber 110g shafts) :ping: Tour Wedges 50*, 54*, 58* :nike: Method Putter Floating clubs: :edel: 54* trapper wedge

On 8/7/2018 at 12:38 AM, Vinsk said:

Yeah. Alone, in a quiet dark house as ‘Going down swinging’ plays on the TV background reflecting on the biggest story of 1999 Open.

Or perhaps he has highlights of the 2012 'miracle of medinah' Ryder cup playing 😎

4 hours ago, Moxley said:

Or perhaps he has highlights of the 2012 'miracle of medinah' Ryder cup playing 😎

Hopefully that brings his spirits up. Poor guy. 😉

Note: This thread is 2084 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!