IGNORED

Bryson Implodes, Shakes Hand of Winner Only Briefly

Vinsk
Note: This thread is 2080 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

https://www.golf.com/tour-and-news/2018/07/30/bryson-dechambeau-apologizes-actions-following-european-open-loss

I'm no BD fan as I’ve made obvious before. But this was pretty poor behavior considering McEvoy has been trying to accomplish a good win for 17 years. BD just a brat.

:ping: G25 Driver Stiff :ping: G20 3W, 5W :ping: S55 4-W (aerotech steel fiber 110g shafts) :ping: Tour Wedges 50*, 54*, 58* :nike: Method Putter Floating clubs: :edel: 54* trapper wedge

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I actually like him. He is an elite golfer. BUT he lives in his head with intensity. He is totally wrapped up in his immediate situation. I think he was in shock and he simply walked off. Looked self-centered, arrogant or pouty.

This does NOT excuse his behavior; it was immature and unsportsmanlike. He must overcome this. Spieth is also a lesser head case IMO and he conducts himself with grace. I hope BDC grows to do the same. Best, -Marv

• Like 1

DRIVER: Cleveland 588 Altitude ( Matrix Radix Sv Graphite, A) IRONS: Mizuno JPX-800 HD Irons & 3,4,5 JPX Fli-Hi (Grafalloy Prolaunch Blue Graphite, R); WEDGES: (Carried as needed) Artisan Golf 46, 50, 53, 56 low bounce, 56 high bounce; PUTTER: Mizuno TP Mills 9

37 minutes ago, MarvChamp said:

I actually like him. He is an elite golfer. BUT he lives in his head with intensity. He is totally wrapped up in his immediate situation. I think he was in shock and he simply walked off. Looked self-centered, arrogant or pouty.

This does NOT excuse his behavior; it was immature and unsportsmanlike. He must overcome this. Spieth is also a lesser head case IMO and he conducts himself with grace. I hope BDC grows to do the same. Best, -Marv

I agree, I don't think he meant any disrespect to Mcevoy, he was just wrapped in his own game, which had been a comedy of errors.  He'd just put 2 balls into the water, and then missed a tiddler for a snowman, so I think he was just really disgusted with himself and he failed to bring himself out of that state of mind. The whole hole was a computer glitch from the scientist. 

I also hope he'll learn from this and improve in this regard, and I feel sure that he will, as he's been quick to apologise. 

I think he'll win the WGC this week. 

This is golf. The hardest sport in the world. Every player out there has these moments. Spieth choked The Masters, Hoch choked the Masters, Van de Velda choked The Open...the list goes on. BD choked a relatively obscure tournament for his norm but his playing partner had his big day. ‘Hey man congrats on your win.’ He’s annoying and should grow up and act like a professional and realize in the grand scheme how lucky he is to have that talent being that he’s a college drop out.

:ping: G25 Driver Stiff :ping: G20 3W, 5W :ping: S55 4-W (aerotech steel fiber 110g shafts) :ping: Tour Wedges 50*, 54*, 58* :nike: Method Putter Floating clubs: :edel: 54* trapper wedge

27 minutes ago, DeadMan said:

I saw this. I don't think it's that bad, to be honest. He still shook his hand. Do we need a timer on the handshake to decide what's classy and not classy?

He went from tied for the lead (I believe) on the tee at 15 and finished 6-6-3-8. I don't blame him for being frustrated one bit. If that had happened to me, I would have gotten out of there as soon as possible, too. I really don't see this as an issue.

Yea, for real.  I mean he shook his hand.  He just put two balls in the water.  Do you expect him to be all smiles after handing over the championship in the last few holes of a 4 day tournament?  I am surprised that he even was able to shake his hand at all.  I have played golf with guys that have imploded toward the end of an event and have behaved the worse.  I don't think less of them as people.  I know that they are upset at themselves...not me.  

We should also ask Richard McEvoy - who won for the first time in almost 300 European Tour starts - if he thought it was unsportsmanlike. I'm guessing it didn't register for him at all, given that he just won his first career tournament.

-- Daniel

In my bag: :callaway: Paradym :callaway: Epic Flash 3.5W (16 degrees)

:callaway: Rogue Pro 3-PW :edel: SMS Wedges - V-Grind (48, 54, 58):edel: Putter

:aimpoint:

Just now, DeadMan said:

We should also ask Richard McEvoy - who won for the first time in almost 300 European Tour starts - if he thought it was unsportsmanlike. I'm guessing it didn't register for him at all, given that he just won his first career tournament.

I’m sure McEvoy was pretty psyched. But it would’ve been a professional and classy move to have a PGA Tour winner congratulate him and recognize his long over due win. Sorry, BD just a douche.

40 minutes ago, DeadMan said:

I saw this. I don't think it's that bad, to be honest. He still shook his hand. Do we need a timer on the handshake to decide what's classy and not classy?

New Rule for 2019:

Handshakes shall be minimum of 20 seconds.
You must look your opponent in the eyes, (min 10 seconds, any more is creepy_
You say "good game" or a variation of.
You must make it sincere and believable (no matter how bad you lost)

failure to do so is a 2 stroke penalty

• Like 3
  • Upvote 1

In my Grom:

Driver-Taylormade 10.5 Woods- Taylomade 3 wood, taylormade 4 Hybrid
Irons- Callaway Big Berthas 5i - GW Wedges- Titles Volkey  Putter- Odyssey protype #9
Ball- Bridgestone E6
All grips Golf Pride

11 minutes ago, Vinsk said:

This is golf. The hardest sport in the world. Every player out there has these moments. Spieth choked The Masters, Hoch choked the Masters, Van de Velda choked The Open...the list goes on. BD choked a relatively obscure tournament for his norm but his playing partner had his big day. ‘Hey man congrats on your win.’ He’s annoying and should grow up and act like a professional and realize in the grand scheme how lucky he is to have that talent being that he’s a college drop out.

They had time, often several holes, between losing and holing out at the end. Bryson was living out his nightmare at that very moment - it's clear from what he's said since that he doesn't begrudge Mcevoy his victory, he just wasn't thinking about it at the time, he was caught up in the moment, that's it. He likely congratulated him plenty after the event, including with his tweet. 

1 minute ago, DeadMan said:

I don't think he did - I replayed the footage, he's grinning from ear to ear in the moments before and after and doesn't seem to notice anything. 

• Administrator
39 minutes ago, Vinsk said:

Van de Velda choked The Open

OT, but IMO, that wasn't a choke. That was bad luck hitting that railing. Two inches either direction, he makes an easy bogey, and nobody cares even a little about Paul Lawrie.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Listening to Bryson talk about how he could "help" the American team in the Ryder Cup was way more annoying than this and it made me have new found disdain for him. This however is no big deal but you should be able to "fake it" no matter how bad it is going for 7 seconds.

"My ball is on top of a rock in the hazard, do I get some sort of relief?"

28 minutes ago, Elmer said:

New Rule for 2019:

Handshakes shall be minimum of 20 seconds.
You must look your opponent in the eyes, (min 10 seconds, any more is creepy_
You say "good game" or a variation of.
You must make it sincere and believable (no matter how bad you lost)

failure to do so is a 2 stroke penalty

Yeah...it takes such an extreme effort and so much time to congratulate your opponent on his win. I guess that’s why I’ve never seen any tour player ever do it.....

4 minutes ago, iacas said:

OT, but IMO, that wasn't a choke. That was bad luck hitting that railing. Two inches either direction, he makes an easy bogey, and nobody cares even a little about Paul Lawrie.

The chunk into the water wasn’t bad luck. Nor was the chop into the bunker.

Just saw his last 4 holes and the handshake. Nothing to do with unsportsmenship to me. He lost it big time and ended with a tripple, took of his hat and shook hands (briefly). Steam must have come out of his ears. Off course he was heavily disappointed.

Didn't see it, but some hands touched, so...yeah. Meh. 

Sometimes people look for anything to peg a player for.

Edited by Zeph

Ogio Grom | Callaway X Hot Pro | Callaway X-Utility 3i | Mizuno MX-700 23º | Titleist Vokey SM 52.08, 58.12 | Mizuno MX-700 15º | Titleist 910 D2 9,5º | Scotty Cameron Newport 2 | Titleist Pro V1x and Taylormade Penta | Leupold GX-1

meh - non story.  Just the usual crowd manufacturing something to cry about players they don't like.

Bill - 

This is the best video I could find with a quick search:

• Thumbs Up 1

Steve

Kill slow play. Allow walking. Reduce ineffective golf instruction. Use environmentally friendly course maintenance.

Note: This thread is 2080 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!