Sign in to follow this  
Alexk4215

Buying first set of clubs, need help

7 posts / 731 viewsLast Reply

So I am 21 years old, and never had a set of my own clubs, I’ve always used clubs that have been passed download. Currently I am using a set of Ping Eyes from 82 and a TaylorMade Ti Bubble driver from 96. What clubs should I look at? I’m not very good, but when I make solid contact I can carry the ball well, so I would like something that’s pretty forgiving. I’ve been thinking 5-Pw, maybe a Gw, 3 wood and 5 wood, and a driver. Please tell me what to look for and what to avoid, I’m dealing with about a $1200 budget. Any advice would be great

Register for free today and you won't see this ad spot again!

31 minutes ago, Alexk4215 said:

I’ve been thinking 5-Pw, maybe a Gw, 3 wood and 5 wood, and a driver. Please tell me what to look for and what to avoid, I’m dealing with about a $1200 budget. Any advice would be great

If you like Pings, then go with their Irons. They are reasonably priced, and they tend to be designed with a ton of help higher handicap golfers. 

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

1 hour ago, saevel25 said:

If you like Pings, then go with their Irons. They are reasonably priced, and they tend to be designed with a ton of help higher handicap golfers. 

I’m honestly not too sure how they compare to clubs nowadays, theyre 35 years old, I’ve been looking at calaway rogue/steelhead xr but am honestly lost, there are several options, for clubs and shafts I don’t know what to look for

Edited by Alexk4215

Then, go get fitted. Most places will wave the cost of the fitting if you buy the clubs after the fitting. You can try out different brands and golf shafts. Just work your way down to performance versus cost you want. Don't let them upset you small incremental differences. For the most part you should be able to find a reasonably priced set that gets you close to something that fits your swing as it is now. 

Agree with @saevel25. To add,  It’s ok to like the appearance of a club over another if your numbers are close. Don’t be embarrassed about getting fitted. You’ll be happy in the long run. Not sayIng you are, just adding in case. You have to like what you’re looking down at. If you like another club’s look and you feel better swinging it, don’t think you’re making a mistake if a lesser liked club goes 5yds further. Ping has real nice irons both ‘player’ and ‘game improvement’. Ping, Callaway, Titleist, Mizuno, TaylorMade, you can’t really go wrong. Try to narrow it down based on your budget and whatever vibes you get. If you don’t have any idea you could spend hours if not days hitting the different irons/shafts available. Enjoy!

Edited by Vinsk

If you can, try out a few clubs before getting a fitting.  And go back a couple of times to see if you still like certain clubs.  As a beginner it is easy to hit a club good one day and bad the next.  Then if/when you do go for a fitting, you will have some idea how the different clubs feel.

$1200 is a decent amount for a first set of clubs, but it can get eaten up pretty quickly if you are not careful.  If you can get referrals on where to get fit and someone who will work with you, you'll be ahead of the game.  If you can use a stock shaft, a soon to be replaced set, or a demo set, you can save.  If you find used that fits, that works for a beginner.

You don't want to be pushed into the latest and greatest and most expensive offering at your current level and have to buy again in a couple of years if your game changes.

Things have really changed from the 80's so I would think every club you hit will be an improvement.  You just need to find the best one that fits your budget.

John

12 hours ago, Vinsk said:

Agree with @saevel25. To add,  It’s ok to like the appearance of a club over another if your numbers are close. Don’t be embarrassed about getting fitted. You’ll be happy in the long run. Not sayIng you are, just adding in case. You have to like what you’re looking down at. If you like another club’s look and you feel better swinging it, don’t think you’re making a mistake if a lesser liked club goes 5yds further. Ping has real nice irons both ‘player’ and ‘game improvement’. Ping, Callaway, Titleist, Mizuno, TaylorMade, you can’t really go wrong. Try to narrow it down based on your budget and whatever vibes you get. If you don’t have any idea you could spend hours if not days hitting the different irons/shafts available. Enjoy!

100% agree with this mentality... I had the same experience where in my iron fitting the Callaway EPIC Rogue's went 6 yards further but at address, I didn't like the top line and the feel compared to the P790's.