IGNORED

Am I Better Off Without a GPS/Rangefinder?

Note: This thread is 1882 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

somewhat rhetorical, but recently played a round without my GPS owing to my forgetting to charge it.  For whatever reason, it seemed as though I hit more greens or came a lot closer on approach relying solely on my estimation of distance.  I got along without such devices for years and it seems like I did better.  It occurs to me that the actual distance to the green  on the approaches were a lot closer that I thought and I more than likely pulled a longer club, thinking that was what I needed.  Of course, I was a lot younger then. 

Now I am not recommending that persons NOT rely on devices, as for the player who actually "knows" their club distances, such can be an invaluable aid.

whatever...just musing I suppose.   (Wishing I did not know now, what I didn't know then).

"James"

:titleist: 913 D3 with Aldila RIP Phenom 60 4,2 Regular Shaft,  :touredge: Exotics XCG-7 Beta 3W with Matrix Red Tie Shaft:touredge: Exotics EX8 19 deg Hybrid w UST Mamiya Recoil F3 Shaft:touredge: Exotics EX9 28 deg Hybrid w UST Mamiya Recoil F3  shaft, / Bobby Jones Black 22 deg Hybrid:touredge: Exotics EXi 6 -PW  w UST Mamiya Recoil F2 Shaft, SW (56),GW (52),LW (60):touredge:  TGS),/ ODDYSEE Metal-X #7 customized putter (400G, cut down Mid Belly)

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

My buddy has a Garmin watch type GPS monitor. When we roll up to a shot that my eyes are telling me is a pitching wedge, he insists on running out there to give me the "exact" yardage.

I've told him repeatedly that I am not that accurate!

4 minutes ago, Buckeyebowman said:

My buddy has a Garmin watch type GPS monitor. When we roll up to a shot that my eyes are telling me is a pitching wedge, he insists on running out there to give me the "exact" yardage.

I've told him repeatedly that I am not that accurate!

he prolly isn't either. 

"James"

:titleist: 913 D3 with Aldila RIP Phenom 60 4,2 Regular Shaft,  :touredge: Exotics XCG-7 Beta 3W with Matrix Red Tie Shaft:touredge: Exotics EX8 19 deg Hybrid w UST Mamiya Recoil F3 Shaft:touredge: Exotics EX9 28 deg Hybrid w UST Mamiya Recoil F3  shaft, / Bobby Jones Black 22 deg Hybrid:touredge: Exotics EXi 6 -PW  w UST Mamiya Recoil F2 Shaft, SW (56),GW (52),LW (60):touredge:  TGS),/ ODDYSEE Metal-X #7 customized putter (400G, cut down Mid Belly)

• iacas changed the title to Am I better off without a GPS/Rangefinder?

I wonder a bit if mine (I use a laser rangefinder) slows me down or if I might be better off with a GPS that would just give me distance to the middle of the green and to clear hazards.  But I find it so comforting to laser a pitch distance -- and that helps me choose the club I'm going to hit.  Also I've played enough mismarked courses.

-- Michael | My swing! 

"You think you're Jim Furyk. That's why your phone is never charged." - message from my mother

Driver:  Titleist 915D2.  4-wood:  Titleist 917F2.  Titleist TS2 19 degree hybrid.  Another hybrid in here too.  Irons 5-U, Ping G400.  Wedges negotiable (currently 54 degree Cleveland, 58 degree Titleist) Edel putter. 

9 minutes ago, Shindig said:

I wonder a bit if mine (I use a laser rangefinder) slows me down or if I might be better off with a GPS that would just give me distance to the middle of the green and to clear hazards.  But I find it so comforting to laser a pitch distance -- and that helps me choose the club I'm going to hit.  Also I've played enough mismarked courses.

in any case, it is a moot point if you cannot hit a specified distance consistentlly. I like the unobtrusive GPS watch, just a glance and pretty accurate. Some courses these days, no longer use yardage stakes opting instead for GPS on the cart, or sprinkler head markings. As i said before, I seem to do better eye balling. Usually the club I choose gets the job done, as I am using a longer club than I would had I known the actual distance.  Kinda like what I used to think were 260 yard drives were more like 210 or 220 (nowadays closer to 180 to be  honest). Now I would concede that on a very large green, the rangefinder pinging off the flag would be useful providing you have enough skill,

"James"

I don't knwo if I am better or worse, but I do like having it and checking the suggested club.

Came in handy today when the card showed a 120 yrd par 3, that I thought looked like a 150 and was actually a 165.

Always remember, the same country that invented golf and called it a game, invented bag pipes and called it music.

I know what you mean, but I think you are better with it. The only thing I can really think of is that, amateurs so often miss short due to expecting the 8 iron to fly the 156 yards it does on the perfect strike rather than the 145 it flies on average - perhaps you were judging one club more and therefore benefited from that? 

Oh, and even with having front, middle and back, I still always aim middle 🙂

• Thumbs Up 1

Currently focusing on: Key 4 - shorter backswing.

What's in the bag: Callaway X2 Hot Driver, Titleist 915F 3 wood, X2 Hot 3 Hybrid, 3, 5-AW Apex Pro irons, 54*, 58* Cleveland RTX, Odyssey Versa 1 Putter

6 hours ago, b101 said:

I know what you mean, but I think you are better with it. The only thing I can really think of is that, amateurs so often miss short due to expecting the 8 iron to fly the 156 yards it does on the perfect strike rather than the 145 it flies on average - perhaps you were judging one club more and therefore benefited from that? 

Oh, and even with having front, middle and back, I still always aim middle 🙂

With RA in my hands and rotator cuff problems limiting a full swing, I have practiced my approach shots more and have a fair idea of distance averages.I also know that many variables mean I may not hit to that distance. I use a watch and select a club for the indicated back of the green distance. That way, my average miss will make it and a pured shot won't be far off. Interesting topic! Best, -Marv

DRIVER: Cleveland 588 Altitude ( Matrix Radix Sv Graphite, A) IRONS: Mizuno JPX-800 HD Irons & 3,4,5 JPX Fli-Hi (Grafalloy Prolaunch Blue Graphite, R); WEDGES: (Carried as needed) Artisan Golf 46, 50, 53, 56 low bounce, 56 high bounce; PUTTER: Mizuno TP Mills 9

28 minutes ago, MarvChamp said:

With RA in my hands and rotator cuff problems limiting a full swing, I have practiced my approach shots more and have a fair idea of distance averages.I also know that many variables mean I may not hit to that distance. I use a watch and select a club for the indicated back of the green distance. That way, my average miss will make it and a pured shot won't be far off. Interesting topic! Best, -Marv

yah, it seems as though In have lost 40 yds throughout the bag the past 18 months or so.  I am chronogically impaired,

"James"

I dropped 200/250 (can't remember) into a Bushnell V2 and while I do use it the experience of buying one reinforced the reality of my good eyesight.  I am usually really close to what the laser tells me.  I grew up playing on an absolute horrendous muni that barely had 150 markers so I learned how to see distance by my depth of field and vision.

Daniel Duarte
905R UST Proforce V2 76g 44" S
904F 15, Graphite Design YS6+
MD Hybrid, 19 Degree, UST V2 Hybrid S
Pro M Gunmetal 5-PW, Nippon 1150GH Pro SVokey Oil Can 52 - RAWVokey Spin Milled Oil Can 56, 60 - RAWTEI3 Newport II - Torch Copper- Prov1x

I just use Freecaddie on my phone. It's not as accurate as a dedicated GPS or rangefinder but it gives me an idea to help with club selection on second/third/fourth etc shots!

Russ, from "sunny" Yorkshire = :-( 

In the bag: Driver: Ping G5 , Woods:Dunlop NZ9, 4 Hybrid: Tayormade Burner, 4-SW: Hippo Beast Bi-Metal , Wedges: Wilson 1200, Putter: Cleveland Smartsquare Blade, Ball: AD333

I use a TecTecTec VPro500 Range Finder ---- My girlfriend bought it for me as a birthday gift. It was recommended to her by a friend.

My experience has been nothing but positive! You can get them for $149.99 off of Amazon.

For a little more ($179.99) you can get the slope version.

I have never had a Bushnell or Nikon, so I can't compare them, but like I said, I am very pleased with mine.

Edited by SPJr
  • Informative 1

- Steve

Driver: titleist.png.44b235e3fc0459caf96200c226b82945.png 917D2 (9.5*), 3/4 Wood: titleist.png.44b235e3fc0459caf96200c226b82945.png 917F2 (16*),
Hybridstaylormade.png.b56433b17b721d4da3cda2f79f9e73a7.png Rescue Mid (19*) & :wilsonstaff: D100 (22*), 5i-PW, GWcobra.png.f5a0c3806c04153a74a3b11aaf4308b0.png F7 One Length
Wedges:wilsonstaff: PMP (54* & 58*), Puttertaylormade.png.b56433b17b721d4da3cda2f79f9e73a7.png Spider Mini

I carry both a Lazer, and gps range finders. I rarely use them when playing for a score. Most of their usage is for practice yardages. 

In my own case, as an example, if I see a 7I distance, I pull a 6I. This personal little mind game has served me well for years. Yeah, I know. Why don't I see the right club in the first place? My answer is, "I have no friggin idea".......

In My Bag:
A whole bunch of Tour Edge golf stuff...... :beer:

Interesting. I've had this experience as well. I actually scored better without my GPS. I might rely too much on the numbers and then I don't assess the other things that might influence the shot. Even if this is the case, I still panic when it's not in the bag and I always check it when I have it. 

• Like 1

One place I play just got new carts with onboard GPS. When close to the green, it gives pin-front-back, further out distance to center. At the tee it gives distance to center and picture of how far to clear bunkers etc. I am hitting more GIR and NGIR, and have more confidence on the tee.

• Informative 1

Don

In the bag:

Driver: PING 410 Plus 9 degrees, Alta CB55 S  Fairway: Callaway Rogue 3W PX Even Flow Blue 6.0; Hybrid: Titleist 818H1 21* PX Even Flow Blue 6.0;  Irons: Titleist 718 AP1 5-W2(53*) Shafts- TT AMT Red S300 ; Wedges Vokey SM8 56-10D Putter: Scotty Cameron 2016 Newport 2.5  Ball: Titleist AVX or 2021 ProV1

I have a GPS watch which I use - primarily to help with carry distance over hazards or bunkers. On shots to the green I normally club for the middle / back of the green. If pin on front, I club for middle, pin in the middle or back then I club for back. Started doing that this summer and GIRs have increased - now just need to get my putter under control to see scores improving.

Just an older guy with 7 or 8  clubs and a MacKenzie Walker bag

Well, I played for years without a rangefinder or GPS.  I have not played for years with both.  If I am playing a course I am familiar with, it really does not make much difference either way (with or without).  

Where I find it comes in handy is courses I am pretty much unfamiliar with.  Not every course provides you with depth of green information.  I find that more valuable than anything else.  

Bag: Titleist
Driver: TM RBZ 9.5
Fairway metals: TM RBZ 3 wood
Hybrids: TM RBZ 3, 4 and 5
Irons: TM Burner 1.0 6 thru LW stiff steel shafts
Putter: Ping B60
Ball: TM Tour Preferred X or ProV1x
Check out littlejohngolfleague.com  A Greater Houston TX traveling golf league.

One thing I will add is since my buddies got their Garmin watches we have found the on course yardage markers on quite a few courses to be wrong! On one course we were 5 yards past the white, 150 yd markers in the fairway. So, it's telling us 145 yards. The Garmin said 155 to the center!

If you played for 145 you're at least one club short if the pin is middle of the green. In this case, the pin was back, so more like two clubs.

Edited by Buckeyebowman

Note: This thread is 1882 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!