Sign in to follow this  
MGNJ88

Scotland - Summer 2019

14 posts / 5921 viewsLast Reply

Some buddies and I are strongly considering heading over to play for 7-10 days next June or July.

We did SW Ireland in 2012 and loved the courses, people, and Irish experience. The biggest challenge I see with Scotland is deciding if we use a tour company or book everything ourselves, which courses to play and how long of a trip to make it.

We all want to play courses like The Old Couse at St Andrews, Kingsbarns, & Carnoustie but several of us would like to round out our golf with some lesser known (less expensive courses) that still offer great Scottish links golf.

Also after spending a few days near St Andrews, do we go west and play Prestwick, Troon, & Turnberry or head north and hit Cruden Bay & Royal Aberdeen ?

Love to hear thoughts from guys who have traveled over there for golf.....Thx !

Its easy to plan this yourself, and you can save a bunch of money.  I planned trips for 8 in 2011 and 2012, and went on a trip a friend planned just this past June.  two suggestions right now.  Get Allan Ferguson's book about planning your own trip to Scotland, at:

http://fergusongolf.com/pages/book.htm

Second, look at the St Andrews website to understand how to apply for a advance tee time for the Old Course for next year, at:

https://standrews.com/play/courses/old-course/booking-the-old-course

As I read it, you need to have your group figured out by September 5, not too far away.  

From personal experience, you can spend an entire week in St Andrews and love every minute, no need to move anywhere else.  I've enjoyed Dornoch, Ayrshire, and East Lothian as well, but a week in St Andrews will make you want to go back and see more of Scotland.  Let me know if I can help with anything at all.

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I will repeat Dave's advise and get Allan Fergusons book. I have been to Scotland 7 times and have always been the trip planner. With groups up to 12. I have helped buds plan their trips also. Go to Visit Scotland and find an apartment big enough for the group. Last year I rented a place a par 4 from 1st tee Old. We had 8 bedroom place. Old starts taking advance apps on Aug 22nd this year. Until Sept not sure when. But sure the website spells it out. Depending where you fly from..Ya go to Glasgow or Edinburgh. You want a direct flight if possible. You try to get Old in advance but in June/July that will be a longshot. But go anyway. If you are truly motivated you will play. Last year we had 9 in mid August and we all played....but 2 got dumb lucky mid day...3 walked up at 4am...and 4 hit the ballot....Places to play...Gotta play Castle in St Andrews...Kingsbarns has a second round 1/2 price so set up two rounds there. They will work with you if you get lucky with ballot Old. The New is worthy of play...St Andrews has a multi play ticket and look into that. Two jaunts away...Ya gotta run down and play North Berwick...It is so special and accommodating too. It's like 75 minutes from St Andrews. Don't stay overnight though. So maybe best 1st day or last especially if have early flight out and you may wish to stay near airport last night. Rentals in UK are different. They go Fri to Fri. Plan on that. The last get away you need to double up on a room elsewhere...but it is so worth it. Run up play Carnoustie...Check their website they sell teetimes on line and they sell out fast..After playing Carnoustie continue up to Aberdeen and stay at Cruden Bay B&B...use to be Red Door B&B...I think....But play Cruden then Royal Aberdeen and head back to St Andrews..If above isn't enough golf there are a few great lesser known places near St Andrews...Leven, Lundin and Elie...Also the fairmont has two courses which are very nice but best is they have carts so maybe you sneak that in midweek to give legs a break...Good Luck.   

I have a couple buddies who did this.    It really depends on how much you want to travel.   For 7-10 days, you can have more than enough golf if you just stay close to St. Andrews. 

It's pretty much a must that you go into East Lothian (about an hour south of St. Andrews, just east of Edinborough.)   Go play North Berwick, for sure.   also, Kilspindie is down there, for a cheaper fun course.  

I just got an email from St Andrews, they will start accepting applications for reserved tee times on the Old Course pretty soon, and the application period will extend to about September 5.  If you're interested, now is the time to get your friends to commit.

What about the Jubilee course in St. Andrews?  After reading Oliver Horovitz's book again a few weeks ago very curious what others think of that course.  He seemed to like it quite a bit in his book An American Caddie in St Andrews (which if you haven't read, you should) but don't hear many people talk about it when planning trips.

Hoping to head that way myself in 2019.  Only golf trip to the U.K. I have previously had we played several of the Royal courses in England and didn't get to Scotland.

55 minutes ago, scotth said:

What about the Jubilee course in St. Andrews?  After reading Oliver Horovitz's book again a few weeks ago very curious what others think of that course.  He seemed to like it quite a bit in his book An American Caddie in St Andrews (which if you haven't read, you should) but don't hear many people talk about it when planning trips.

Hoping to head that way myself in 2019.  Only golf trip to the U.K. I have previously had we played several of the Royal courses in England and didn't get to Scotland.

The Jubilee is the "third" course there, and its really solid.  Obviously the Old Course is the big daddy, and the New gets lots of well-deserved respect.  Jubilee is the closest to the sea, and it has a few of the larger dunes to play through anywhere around.  I had one of the old-line caddies, and he thought it was almost too tough, but I enjoyed it.

Others have mentioned some of the lesser-known (and less expensive) courses near St Andrews. Elie and Lundin Links are really excellent and very different from most of the courses you'll get in the States.

After a few days there the choice is really whether to go north, into Aberdeenshire, or south to East Lothian. I'd suggest the first-time visitor should do the latter. North Berwick, Gullane 1 and Gullane 2, and Dunbar would all be on my list. And if you want to go a little off the beaten track, Goswick at Berwick-upon-Tweed is a superb links course, used as a qualifier for the Open, that you can play for peanuts.

St Andrews is definitely a place where you can spend your golf holiday without getting bored, but a great addition is visiting Elie Golf club about 30min South of St Andrews. 

Relating to this, we're also traveling to St Andrews next year, in early May, and would love to play a Ryder Cup -style match against a group from the US. If anyone here knows someone who knows someone who is coming over with a group at the same time, please pass on this message and let's find an opponent for us 👍

We're a group of 8 Finnish guys, hcp between 5 and 16, ages 35-40. We've been to St Andrews 6 times already. 

Happy golf trips to everyone! 

Edited by IlkkaFromFinland

3 hours ago, IlkkaFromFinland said:

We're a group of 8 Finnish guys, hcp between 5 and 16, ages 35-40. We've been to St Andrews 6 times already. 

Happy golf trips to everyone! 

Welcome to The SandTrap, Ikka  :beer:

I hope you'll get involved with more of the threads here, and be sure to post your location in the Member Map:

It looks like you're just the second member in Finland.

I’m from the NE Scotland. Played pretty much every course as a kid. Any of the following are well worth it..

- Cruden Bay, The Nairn, Royal Aberdeen, Murcar. Fraserburgh are all top class links courses from way back My old home club of Banchory is a lovely short riverside course. 

South of Edinburgh my favourites from my uni days were Gullane #1 and North Berwick. Both lovely... oh and Muirfield, but good luck getting on there🙁

Edited by Beastie
Poor grammar

22 minutes ago, Beastie said:

Murcar

Murcar is underrated IMO. I thoroughly enjoyed it and wasn’t even breaking 100 at that time of my golf life. 

Hi.

We played at St. Andrews a few years back - and paied £200 for a three day ticket to play the other courses there. 
We played Castle, New and Jubilee course - all very good courses. Castle course is a bit different than the rest - and I located a bit away from the rest.
Other fine course between Aberdeen and Edinburgh are:
* Gullane
* North Berwick
* Carnoustie
* Royal Aberdeen 
* Murcar
* Cruden Bay - probably the best course I'ved played in Scotland - incl Old Course.

But if you travel to the other side of Scotland - you can the play courses like:

* Kilmarnock Barassie
* Dundonald Links
* Prestwick
* Westen Gails.

I'm traveling to Scotland this April and are going to play 7 rounds in 4 days.
We are playing:
* Murcar - also played this last year
* Curden Bay - also played this last year
* Fraserburgh
* Peterhead

Have a nice trip.